Anyone Make Cheese?

maswov

Makro in pattaya have all you need.

Does Makro Pattaya have rennet? Never been able to find any here in Bangkok and always get it sent over from the UK.

Sorry i don't know mate.

i used to make cottage cheese but most times you cant get the milk to curdle because it must be 100%fresh with no added water,i read a report a week ago that did not give a good report about what they had tested,so i have stopped making it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Egremont Gouda and Edam and they are fine. The Anchor Cheddar is OK to and the Aro is passable. Personally I'm not to keen on the Pauly Cheddar, it's a bit too much like processed. Few things I miss about the UK, but one thing is cheeses,. I used to get a phone call from a local farm when they produced a 'Blue Cheshire'. I've aslo noticed that Makro reduce the price when it's close or past it's sell by date. I've found these cheeses have actually improved.

What does that cheese they sell in Makro taste like? anyone tried it egremont or similar is the name i think??

• 1 month later...

I'm intersted in startng to make cheese, I thought I'd start with Camembert, and the ingredient I'm looking for is unhomogenised milk. Does anyone know if this is available here in Thailand and if so what brand name is it?

Many thanks if you can help.

I'm intersted in startng to make cheese, I thought I'd start with Camembert, and the ingredient I'm looking for is unhomogenised milk. Does anyone know if this is available here in Thailand and if so what brand name is it?

I am sure the only way you will get fresh unhomogonised milk in Thailand will be for you to invest in a cow and squeeze it out yourself

:whistling:

I am sure the only way you will get fresh unhomogonised milk in Thailand will be for you to invest in a cow and squeeze it out yourself

Having done extensive searches in a number of stores I think you may well be right.

. I've aslo noticed that Makro reduce the price when it's close or past it's sell by date.

yes...stupid...kept properly cheese can improve with age.

It reminds me..many years ago when I had a pub,went to my local wholeseller and noticed many people with their carts loaded with cheese,went to investigate and it turned out that a cheese manufacturee had on offer,vacuum packed but out of date by a few days,a "tasty' cheese....about 1/3rd of the normal price. bought quite a lot of it...ploughmans etc and that week, for my regular 'Saturdays supper' promotion made probably the tastyish Lasagne ever.

Absolutely 100 % correct.

• 1 year later...

Makro in pattaya have all you need.

Does Makro Pattaya have rennet? Never been able to find any here in Bangkok and always get it sent over from the UK.

I make my own vegie Rennet, using boiled Stinging Nettles (Tea) or my Baobab leaves from the trees in my garden, or use lemon juice or melon seed sap, or or or, just klick e-know how.. rennet,

Its free for me and the results are good.

Especially for vegetarian, by using powered milk form soya meal.

I buy my fresh/cooled unsteriliced clean milk fresh from the farmer in the next village, 10 litres for about 350 baht, is refrigerated und sold in plastic bags, the super sells one carton of 1 litre for 84 baht and is homogenisized.

The milk is only to be gotten through family or friends, as the dairy farmer is under contract ( and cannot sell otherwise), but this is TIT, and anything goes. I am here since 1980 and have seen pigs fly.

I make small quantities of yoghurt and some varietys of cheese, I just need some camembert/brie cultures to make that cheese.

Now I make cheese balls, so they call it, try later with a brick cheese.

I can grom mushroom cultures on PDA in Petridish and have the equipment to sterilize all utensils (a big 5 litre pressurecooker bought in Tachilek)

Absolutely 100 % correct.

i used to make cottage cheese but most times you cant get the milk to curdle because it must be 100%fresh with no added water,i read a report a week ago that did not give a good report about what they had tested,so i have stopped making it.

Try First Food shop/Northern farm if you near Chiang Rai, its in downtown, used to be the only place to buy tabasco etc, has good frozen lamb, steaks, sausages, and a variety of cheeses, prize is right for me.

Tops has good cheeses as well, I would like to buy fresh Brie or camembert, I guess I just have to wait for my next Bangkok -run and stock up in Foodland, Heaven on earth for a Gourmet, or go to Otto on Sukumvit Soi 20, verry good restaurant,The Scwarzwaldstube (Black Forest Inn) and shop sells Farmers bread, Sauerkraut and all kind of wurst and cheeses and other delicatessen try the Eisebein with Sauerkraut, or roasted pig leg / pig knuckle, which i make also by myself and IT Tastes really good especially with english or german wurst. A smoked rib is the ultimate feast boiled in sauerkraut.

tastes funny