Samsung M8910 Pixon 12 Unlocked Quad-Band Phone

Anyse

Hello,

I have been looking long and hard for a GSM mobile phone and need to ask if anyone has any experience with this model in particular and, in general, some of the features for use of this phone in Thailand.

This phone has almost EVERYTHING! 12 mp camera, gps, gps navigation, bluetooth, wifi, micro SD slot and works with GMS systems around the world. I am also getting with a one-year warranty and also a 3 year warranty for failure or accidental damage. It will cost about $325 US with shipping and an extra 32 GB microSD card. It looks good and it is an Android model.

Here are a few questions:

Should I get a mobile phone service provider there in Phuket or just buy SIM cards with the money and services from small shops around the island? What would I expect to pay for all of the alternatives as an "independent" user or a "contract" person? Which service provider should I choose for the best services as well a internet on the SmartPhone?

I know there is more to ask and much more to know. I can't get a PDF of the user guide/manual so that I can make a stronger decision. So, if there is more that I should know about the use of a mobile phone in Thailand, I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you all so much!

Samsung M8910 Pixon 12 Unlocked Quad-Band Phone with 12 MP Camera, gps navigation, Wi-Fi and microSD Card Slot--International Version with Warranty (Black)

Assuming the phone is unlocked then you can use any pre-paid SIM. The leading providers are AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy and TrueMove. You can get SIMs and top-up cards anywhere. A SIM should cost 39 ~ 100 baht, and top-up cards are face-value. You can choose a calling plan, but on average (this varies) expect to pay 1.5 baht/min for voice calls and 1 baht/SMS. You can layer a 2G (GPRS/EDGE) data plan on top of that. Without a lot more detail on your requirements it is challenging to offer up more recommendations.

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/pro-SmartPhone.html

http://www.ais.co.th/dataservice-contents/th/dataservice_package.html

I'm not so sure that model is Android? It sure doesn't look like it to me. Any reference I can find says the OS is "proprietary", but not sure if that means Bada or something even more unique? Honestly, it looks like a camera, a really good one, which also has a phone. Just make sure you are getting the best solution for your requirements.

• 1 month later...

You are right, it is NOT an Android. So, I have moved on to a Sony Ericsson Experia 10i and it does have all that I want as well as need after all. It ia also a lot less expensive. I have decided to use my Nikon 12 mp dedicated camera for real pics and will use the Experia for others. It looks like I have found one that has every single requrement that I am after. I like the dtac - unlimited internet option for 699 BHT/mo. Thank you for driving me in this direction. I will have internet as well as WiFi in my home there as I do here, so using my phone to get what I need on it when I really need it will no be a probelm at all. I ordered the phone today! Hooray! I will be free from the $100 financial anchor that is the iPhone. Fortunately, I have a 32GB iTouch for all of the iPhone apps!

Thank you all.

Any more information as to how I can set it all up with the phone company on my first day there would be appreciated. It will be on Friday, Aug 13.

Where did you buy this phone? Do you have any specs on it? (I couldn't find any for the X10i.) Specifically which 3G bands does it support?

True do have 3G on 850 Mhz in Phuket. but not sure your model supports 850?

You can buy SIMs everywhere; convenience stores like 7/11, Family Mart, independent, small mobile phone counters and shops, even at the airport on arrival.