Thai PM: More Incentives To Be Given To Workers

Lite Beer

PM: More incentives to be given to workers

image_20110501120242A9EFE6E5-9A22-0BD6-74E99D8458B74D16.jpg

BANGKOK, May 1 -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Labour Day that his government has helped workers and their families in various aspects including raising wages for skilled workers and allowing unregistered workers to enter the government-sponsored Social Security Fund starting from today.

In his weekly TV and radio address, held for the last time before he dissolves the House of Representatives early this month and call for a general election, expected to be held in June, Mr Abhisit said his government which has ruled the country over two years had assisted workers’ families by urging business enterprises to set up child care centres so mothers could tend to their children while working.

Several labour laws have been passed, including one which allowed unregistered workers to be able to enter the Social Security Fund and enjoy better benefits from today, he said.

On the upcoming election, Mr Abhisit said he would discuss with members of the Election Commission tomorrow on ways to ensure that the election would be held in a transparent manner and he would ask other parties in his coalition government to cease installing posters of their election platform for the time being as it would display “equality to every party contesting in the upcoming election.”

Mr Abhisit said he had also discussed with every minister that “only urgent matters” should be discussed this Tuesday during the cabinet weekly meeting and that no major projects would be conferred without prior approval by related agencies before the House dissolution.

“However, works (by this government) would be conducted with utmost efficiency without leaving any vacuum,” Mr Abhisit said.

Asked whether he has mapped out any measures to solve country’s problems and how he would reform the nation if he has a chance to become a prime minister again after the election, Mr Abhisit said more problems are expected due to global uncertainty.

“Measures to resolve problems have been laid out on a long-term basis. We must not lose our concentration no matter how severe the crux is,” Mr Abhisit said.

He said he had said repeatedly in the past that he would “not stay long in politics, [he] would switch to another field and teaching is my most favourite thing to do.”

“However, everything depends on the outcome of the election,” he added. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-05-01

It's good people have to work to stay alive in this country; not got generations sitting around on benefits like in the Uk. Rewarding or enabling workers is much better than hand outs creating dependancy

Thailand has practically full employment

Probably, more accurately, Thailand has practically no registered unemployment. And that's probably because there is very little reason for a lot of people to register for unemployment since they wouldn't make any difference.

Probably, more accurately, Thailand has practically no registered unemployment. And that's probably because there is very little reason for a lot of people to register for unemployment since they wouldn't make any difference.

Considering that Thai do not even need to pay tax unless their income is over 250 000 per month, i am not even sure how they could measure any employment stats

PS. Same applies to Thai owned business

Considering that Thai do not even need to pay tax unless their income is over 250 000 per month, i am not even sure how they could measure any employment stats

I think that should be per year. And I think the number is 150,000.

Believe it or not, but its per month, could not believe my ears when company accountant told me

Absolutely agree , but unfortunally Thailand there so many people that are poor.

Believe it or not, but its per month, could not believe my ears when company accountant told me

I know a lot of Thais who get paid 25-60K per month, and they all get taxed. I think you shouldn't believe your ears.

The official tax rates are 0% up to 150K, 10% to 500K, 20% to 1mil, 30% to 4 mil and 37% above 4mil. (per year). There are some various standard deductions which might take the tax free amount up to 250K per year.

I know a lot of Thais who get paid 25-60K per month, and they all get taxed. I think you shouldn't believe your ears.

The official tax rates are 0% up to 150K, 10% to 500K, 20% to 1mil, 30% to 4 mil and 37% above 4mil. (per year). There are some various standard deductions which might take the tax free amount up to 250K per year.

You may well be right, locals do not get taxed, they need to pay their own, unless again my accountant is not very knowledgable.

My staff do not get taxed, they declare their own. The only thing i withhold is social security payment.

But i am sure its not per year but per month, because even business does not need to register for VAT if the sales are under 250 000 per month

You may well be right, locals do not get taxed, they need to pay their own, unless again my accountant is not very knowledgable.

My staff do not get taxed, they declare their own. The only thing i withhold is social security payment.

But i am sure its not per year but per month, because even business does not need to register for VAT if the sales are under 250 000 per month

According to Thai Visa (http://www.thaivisa.com/thailand_vat.0.html) , you don't need to register for VAT until you are earning 1.2 mil per year (100K per month), but the Tax Office says (http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6043.0.html) it's 1.8 mil per year. Nowhere does it say 250K per month or equivalent per year.

According to the tax office (http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html), personal tax rates are as I stated above. You are correct that employees can choose to declare and pay their own rather than the company withholding (and paying) the tax, but that doesn't change the tax that has to be paid. It only changes when it is paid. Tax payers have to submit their tax return by the end of March and pay any outstanding tax.

Is it a coincidence that you have been told that BOTH personal tax and VAT registration is not required if the amount is under 250K per month?

How many people in Thailand earn more than 250K per month? Another thread recently stated that 12 million people pay tax (or submit tax returns) in Thailand. Do you think that many people get over 250K per month?

If I was you, I would confirm with your accountant, and then get a second opinion.

It's good people have to work to stay alive in this country; not got generations sitting around on benefits like in the Uk. Rewarding or enabling workers is much better than hand outs creating dependancy

I dunno, there's a couple of million sitting around in temples here ultimately dependent on handouts while not doing much for the economy. On the UK system, don't knock it, you might need it someday. People abuse the UK benefits system for sure (in particular newbie Euros, though able bodied folk have to get off their ass to show they're looking for work), but at least it has a good workforce to be in a position to offer benefits and help the truly needy.

According to Thai Visa (http://www.thaivisa....land_vat.0.html) , you don't need to register for VAT until you are earning 1.2 mil per year (100K per month), but the Tax Office says (http://www.rd.go.th/...ish/6043.0.html) it's 1.8 mil per year. Nowhere does it say 250K per month or equivalent per year.

According to the tax office (http://www.rd.go.th/...ish/6045.0.html), personal tax rates are as I stated above. You are correct that employees can choose to declare and pay their own rather than the company withholding (and paying) the tax, but that doesn't change the tax that has to be paid. It only changes when it is paid. Tax payers have to submit their tax return by the end of March and pay any outstanding tax.

Is it a coincidence that you have been told that BOTH personal tax and VAT registration is not required if the amount is under 250K per month?

How many people in Thailand earn more than 250K per month? Another thread recently stated that 12 million people pay tax (or submit tax returns) in Thailand. Do you think that many people get over 250K per month?

If I was you, I would confirm with your accountant, and then get a second opinion.

funny to read your post, i actually wrote a similar reply last night, but TV went down or something.

As you mentioned revenue site shows one figure, other sites show another, and accountant say another.

I have already changed 3 accountants in the past 3.5 months and they all say slightly different things.

at the end of the day, with the mess the system is in now,i am having hard time seeing how they could do any stats.

...including raising wages for skilled workers and allowing unregistered workers to enter the government-sponsored Social Security Fund starting from today.

All other arguments and discussions being rhetorical, lets start with the basics... the Root.

Can someone please explain to me how "unregistered workers" can contribute to and/or claim from the Social Security Fund???

There seems to be some sort of disconnect here.

"Unregistered" would mean, no SS Account, therefore no Social Security deductions at source, ... if they even have a social security number.

Low income would mean no Taxes pain, so no Tax form filed.. so no self-paid contributions either.

This all sounds like populist pandering.. all talk without any practical result.

I'm in Thailand... I'm so confused.... Oh... that is the Natural Order of things here...

Confusion is the norm!

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

...including raising wages for skilled workers and allowing unregistered workers to enter the government-sponsored Social Security Fund starting from today.

All other arguments and discussions being rhetorical, lets start with the basics... the Root.

Can someone please explain to me how "unregistered workers" can contribute to and/or claim from the Social Security Fund???

There seems to be some sort of disconnect here.

"Unregistered" would mean, no SS Account, therefore no Social Security deductions at source, ... if they even have a social security number.

Low income would mean no Taxes pain, so no Tax form filed.. so no self-paid contributions either.

This all sounds like populist pandering.. all talk without any practical result.

I'm in Thailand... I'm so confused.... Oh... that is the Natural Order of things here...

Confusion is the norm!

CS

I think the idea is that unregistered workers can register and pay their own SS.