The Right Neighborhood In Cm For A Long Stay?

californiabeachboy

I am a retired American and I am looking for a place in Thailand to spend a few months each year. I just returned from my third trip to Thailand but I have never been to Chiang Mai. I originally thought about beach areas, but I live near a nice beach in the US, and to be honest, the beach areas I have visited so far in Thailand (Hua Hin, Phuket and Jomtien), at least in the populated areas, haven't seemed so nice, so I am heading inland.

I plan on visiting CM for a few days in the autumn to check it out. My question is, what are some of the neighborhoods I should wander around in? My needs/ wants are as follows:

1. I enjoy cooking, so being in an area with good grocery shopping is essential, both local Thai foods and occasionally western food.

2. I have an aversion to taxis, so I would like an area that is very walkable and also has good easy transport (i.e. sonthaew or the like). Close to nice bicycle rides would be nice, although I have yet to find a place in Thailand where I could ride and live to tell about it.

3. An area with some nice serviced apartments, not too old, and with a pool. My budget will probably be around 10,000 baht per week or 30,000 baht per month. I am way too old to be trendy, but a somewhat upmarket area would be nice - nice coffee places, happy hours drinks etc. Late nightlife doesn't really mean that much to me.

If anyone happens to know the Ari area in Bangkok, that is what I am looking for in CM - good local shopping, a good western store (Villa market), nice coffee shops, and good transport.

Any suggestions of areas to visit when I am there would be most appreciated.

Royal Lanna Hotel, very nice pool

Smith Residence, small pool

Both charge about 7,000-10,000 bht a month for long term (2 months or more)

Smith Residence is near to a really big Thai Market

You might also like to look at the Top North Guest House in Moon Muang Soy 2

Rooms are a bit tired, but the pool is really nice and it's more central than the other two places.

top%20north.jpg

Edited by sarahsbloke

I've lived 12 years in Bangkok, but the Ari area doesn't really strike me as a prime example of a walkable expat-friendly place. Anyway, things might have changed there. In Chiang Mai, the only area that comes close to the Bangkok lifestyle is probably the area around Nimmanhemin road with a relatively high concentration of cafes, restaurants, entertainment venues, shops, and high-density residential buildings. You find a student and expat crowd there. However, Nimmanhemin cannot even compare to one of the minor expat quarters in Bangkok, and it's geographically quite limited and hopelessly overpriced. Chiang Mai is really about a different life style. It's perfect for nature lovers, people who like large gardens, mountain views, peaceful rural surroundings, family life, and outdoor activities.

Cheers, CMX

Nimmanhemin cannot even compare to one of the minor expat quarters in Bangkok, and it's geographically quite limited and hopelessly overpriced.

Overpriced how? Room rents are cheap and so are most of the restaurants. Something else? :unsure:

I'll also suggest the Nimmanhaemin area or the Santitham neighborhood. Both are withing walking distance of plenty of shopping (both local markets and western style supermarkets), both inexpensive and nicer restaurants, and there are plenty of serviced apartments from 3500 baht/month up to 30,000/month for a studio. I'm sure you'll find one that suits your needs.

But the real reason you want to be on the west side of town is the easy access to nice cycling routes. If you stay anywhere else in Chiang Mai you'll have to go cross town to start and end most rides. There are hundreds of riders in the CM area. Some posters here may not find the city itself very rider-friendly, but the surrounding areas certainly are.

Thanks for the info. Nimmanhaemin, or the area just to the North of it, looks good. I found one serviced apartment/hotel - Kantary Hills - that would do for a short visit while I look around. It looks like they want around 40,000 baht per month for a long stay, which seems a bit high for CM, but I am sure there are others in the area. A place where I could go for an early morning bike ride would be a real plus. Cheers.

Thanks for the info. Nimmanhaemin, or the area just to the North of it, looks good. I found one serviced apartment/hotel - Kantary Hills - that would do for a short visit while I look around. It looks like they want around 40,000 baht per month for a long stay, which seems a bit high for CM, but I am sure there are others in the area. A place where I could go for an early morning bike ride would be a real plus. Cheers.

Nice understatement. ;) Yes, 40K is a bit high. ;)

Although it's possible that the unit has acres of space and golden taps. If not, then yes, it's a bit high.

A number of westerners use the Dome Residence just off of Huey Kaew Road for a few months, and I do know a few that live there all year. The location is great--midway between Nimmenhaemen and Kad Saun Kaew, and it has a very clean looking lobby, hallways, and elevator. The rooms are quite small furnished with the basics, and I believe you can get a bachelor for about 7000 or 8000 baht a month, or a one bedroom for 12000 a month. Of course they have the standard rip off prices for electricity and water, but you have convenience.

If you budget is 30000 a month don't even bother looking at stuff under 10000 per month and god forbid around anything 5000. Dreary, depressing places with; in quite a few cases, a lot of under-funded penny pinching obsessed pretend expats inhabiting them.

You have a nice budget for housing that will enable you to have a very pleasant lifestyle for the few months you are in town. As someone mentioned earlier the Nimmanhaemin area has a wide range of offerings. Just dont get caught up in the " this 18 sqm studio at 5000 is better than that 22 sqm one for 7000" lifestyle. You got the cash; enjoy the goodlife. Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

If you budget is 30000 a month don't even bother looking at stuff under 10000 per month and god forbid around anything 5000. Dreary, depressing places with; in quite a few cases, a lot of under-funded penny pinching obsessed pretend expats inhabiting them.

There are plenty of clean, comfortable rooms with toilet for around for 5,000 baht and above. However, there is a strong possibility that your neighbors will not be English aristocracy. Personally, I could care less about anyone's pedigree.

There are plenty of clean, comfortable rooms with toilet for around for 5,000 baht and above. However, there is a strong possibility that your neighbors will not be English aristocracy. Personally, I could care less about anyone's pedigree.

Emporium Residence I suggested @ 5000bht per month is just about as good as any hotel I have seen

Fridge, balcony, sink, ensuite shower, air-con, fan, cable TV, free wifi, underground car park, lift.

No expats (now that I don't live there), mainly young well-off non-Thai students.

It has been mentioned before and with your budget I can also strongly recommend Frangipani Serviced Apartments. It is located in the old city right behind the oldest temple of Chiang Mai (Wat Chiang Man). The owner is a hotelier from Switzerland, very nice helpful guy. You will be within walking distance of everything you need. And by the way, many people use bicycles for transportation in Chiang Mai. Easy.

Here is the link:

http://www.chiangmaifrangipani.com/

Kantary Hills is definitely a great place to start out, if your budget can afford it. Everything is very elegant and well-appointed. There is ample staff, a good restaurant/bar, wifi, business center, excellent pool and nice health club. I think there are spa services too. The prices for electricity and water seem very reasonable for a serviced apartment.

If your budget isn't that flush, then The Dome is a nice compromise. The place is well-maintained and nicely elegant for the price. But, there's no health club/pool and currently there isn't a restaurant in the lobby. You'd have to go outside and walk about 100 feet to find a restaurant and the pool/fitness centers at KSK mall or the Orchid Hotel are about 150 meters away.

Often you can find rental condos for couple months rental in Hilliside Condo 4 for a reasonable price. They have health club/ pools/restaurant inside the complex.

I agree with El Jefe about the west side of town being the best if you plan to do some bicycling.

I actually live in emporium resident, its a nice place with lots of young well-off thai and few farang. There is cheap 5000b accommodation but they do have some superior room and even some delux suite i think.

Free "fast" internet (depend of the time of the day) and good aircon, 30,000 baht a month is quite over kill i think

Im quite happy with my 5,500 room (the 500 more is for the separated shower)

Edited by max005