Thailand Sees More Foreign Tourists In 1st Quarter 2011

webfact

Thailand sees more foreign tourists in Q1/2011

BANGKOK, 5 May 2011 (NNT) – The number of foreign tourists in the first quarter this year increased slightly partly thanks to more peaceful domestic political outlook, according to the Department of Tourism under the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

Tourism Department Director-General Supol Sripan elaborated that the number of foreign tourists in the first quarter this year was recorded at 5,333,815 people, up 674,065 people or 14.47% as a result of the improving political climate compared to the same period last year.

The highest increase was seen in the number of European tourists while the figure from the Middle East fell because of the regional political unrest. Top ten foreign visitors to Thailand are Malaysians, Chinese, Japanese, Russians, South Koreans, British, Lao, Germans, Americans and Swedish respectively.

As for the second quarter this year, about 3.9 million foreign tourists are expected, up 37% if the country remains peaceful with no negative incidents towards the national politics or the global economy.

Possible negative factors for the Thai tourism are domestic political situation, major disasters, the Thai-Cambodian dispute, unrest in Libya, terrorism threats after the death of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden and the nuclear power plant crisis in Japan.

The number of foreign tourists coming to Thailand in 2010 was concluded at 15,936,400 people. As for the first four months this year, there were 1,792,089 tourists in January, 1,805,399 in February, 1,736,327 in March and 1,497,975 in April.

BANGKOK, 5 May 2011 (NNT) – The number of foreign tourists in the first quarter this year increased slightly partly thanks to more peaceful domestic political outlook, according to the Department of Tourism under the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

Tourism Department Director-General Supol Sripan elaborated that the number of foreign tourists in the first quarter this year was recorded at 5,333,815 people, up 674,065 people or 14.47% as a result of the improving political climate compared to the same period last year.

The highest increase was seen in the number of European tourists while the figure from the Middle East fell because of the regional political unrest. Top ten foreign visitors to Thailand are Malaysians, Chinese, Japanese, Russians, South Koreans, British, Lao, Germans, Americans and Swedish respectively.

As for the second quarter this year, about 3.9 million foreign tourists are expected, up 37% if the country remains peaceful with no negative incidents towards the national politics or the global economy.

Possible negative factors for the Thai tourism are domestic political situation, major disasters, the Thai-Cambodian dispute, unrest in Libya, terrorism threats after the death of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden and the nuclear power plant crisis in Japan.

The number of foreign tourists coming to Thailand in 2010 was concluded at 15,936,400 people. As for the first four months this year, there were 1,792,089 tourists in January, 1,805,399 in February, 1,736,327 in March and 1,497,975 in April.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-05 footer_n.gif

"Possible negative factors for the Thai tourism are ... unrest in Libya, terrorism threats after the death of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden and the nuclear power plant crisis in Japan."

they are reasons remotely related to thailand, not sure why TAT looks for stupid excuses in case their 37% increase projection for the 2nd quarter goes south

Edited by londonthai

I thonk they write want they want people to see !

As many European countries had gone down in numbers arriving Thailand !

So maybe more from Russia and China !

But is that good ?

They use a lot of space and count in the statistics !

But do they spend any money here NO!!!!!

A Scandinavian tourist spend (some years ago) average of 4.000 Baht a day.

A Chinese tourist less then 400 Baht and Russians on same level, so what do they do ??

Mark up the arrival statistics !

Maybe Thailans should look for quality instead of quantyties !

i wonder how many will die in a traffic accident, how many will get scammed by the police or jet ski owners , how many will be electrocuted in the hotel shower, and overcharged in a bar ?????........... for sure at some time 95% will get nothing like what they ordered in a resteraunt !!

Oh really! Another propaganda statement. In the last year The TAT have been hiking up their figures and yet more and more tourist dependent organisations are closing and airports are reporting that tourist figures are down.

Their (TAT) statements of the increasing numbers of tourists never fail to amaze me.

They just hate to lose face. and also face reality. Overcharging, corruption and scams are the problem and despite their advertisement of "it is illegal to have double pricing for Farang versus Thai and any sign entrance sign to any tourist facility/attraction stating otherwise should be reported and is illegal" and "quote...." we wish to be informed of these illegal practices". Nothing is done when reports are raised.

i just wish I had the know how to open a web site to warn all potential visitors to this country of the scams, corruption and inherent dangers of some of these totally disingenuous agencies. And the dangers of facing down Thai people when linked to not paying for the scams. LOS really stands for Land of Scares to decent law abiding people.

Get real TAT and the rest of the corrupt organisations here who peddle out there "smiles".

Edited by Raindancer

tourists are all aware of all the scams, nobody is forced to rent these equipment or go to phuket

I give tourist/travelers a lot of credit, but for anyone, including the BIB, to know all the scams that are taking place in the LOS may be a little exaggeration of their knowledge. Even the locals are complaining about getting cheated/scammed by other locals. Doubt the tourists are are nearly as experienced and certainly will probably be as skeptical as those who are raised in this environment.

Oh really! Another propaganda statement. In the last year The TAT have been hiking up their figures and yet more and more tourist dependent organisations are closing and airports are reporting that tourist figures are down.

Their (TAT) statements of the increasing numbers of tourists never fail to amaze me.

They just hate to lose face. and also face reality. Overcharging, corruption and scams are the problem and despite their advertisement of "it is illegal to have double pricing for Farang versus Thai and any sign entrance sign to any tourist facility/attraction stating otherwise should be reported and is illegal" and "quote...." we wish to be informed of these illegal practices". Nothing is done when reports are raised.

i just wish I had the know how to open a web site to warn all potential visitors to this country of the scams, corruption and inherent dangers of some of these totally disingenuous agencies. And the dangers of facing down Thai people when linked to not paying for the scams. LOS really stands for Land of Scares to decent law abiding people.

Get real TAT and the rest of the corrupt organisations here who peddle out there "smiles".

Is Thai bashing the best you can do? Bla bla bla bla bla I'd like to see the numbers from the "tourist dependent organizations" that are closing which airports are reporting that tourist figures are down. Other than that your diatribe of Thai bashing is pointless

i wonder how many will die in a traffic accident, how many will get scammed by the police or jet ski owners , how many will be electrocuted in the hotel shower, and overcharged in a bar ?????........... for sure at some time 95% will get nothing like what they ordered in a resteraunt !!

I'm just wondering how many of them will fall in love, then selling all back home, coming back to buy houses and cars for her and the relatives.

Of course the very expensive medicine for Step moms' artificial heart and some motorbike accidents, where brothers and uncles lost legs and other excuses, which will be paid by the lover.

It can take a long time to find out that the 30 baht card was invented.........

There's also a high possibility that people just jump down from 23rd floor, or some will hit their heads so badly on a table, that they pass away.

Please be aware of Chiang Mai's favorite hotel;, where people just die under unknown circumstances. Amazing country. :jap:

Is Thai bashing the best you can do? Bla bla bla bla bla I'd like to see the numbers from the "tourist dependent organizations" that are closing which airports are reporting that tourist figures are down. Other than that your diatribe of Thai bashing is pointless

It is not Thai bashing and neither is it a diatribe as you call it...read the dictionary and compare my statement with facts as opposed to your so called accusation of a diatribe.. All of us are entitled to our views of the Thai society and culture. I have only hit out the corruption/scams/overcharging.

If you live in your own bubble that denies all these simple facts of reality...then get out more, or do you sit behind a computer all day and send inane responses to matters of which you have no knowledge . But do not attack me personally...there are too many of your ilk who do not possess the courage nor politeness for a decent conversation on face to face to face basis There are many posts on this very same subject. These are the vagaries of living here. I accept them but I am entitled to air my views without being as personal as you.

This site is supposed to be informative and allow a person to air one's views.....Therefore others can glean whatever information they want to make their choice to visit or live here.

Regarding the numbers closing down, take a walk around the well known hitherto businesses in whatever area you live in that is dependent on tourism and get a reality check. This information is also freely available from the local minister of interior , which is another source of my information regarding the number of business that have opened in any fiscal year and the number which have closed down Apart from that there are many unregistered businesses, which I have seen open and close within the past three years.

You don't think this quarter's figures were altered by the fact that Egypt was closed for business?

Maybe the Russians, for example, were told that the family friendly destination Pattaya was a suitable substitute if they did not want to lose their money. :whistling:

I thought the PM wanted "quality" tourists... Then why does TAT always give out these quantity "statistics?" Of course there might be more tourists this year to date than last, there isn't an armed battle raging in Bangkok this year.... What's TAT's annual budget again? For doing what? huh.gif

Sorry but you have been reading too many peoples Thai bashing posts............But in truth most are TRUE....but this truth is rarely listened to. But posters are pointing FACTS out, if no one does this, how do things alter for the better, not for me and you--but for tourism here. If you had a business it's vital to get FEEDBACK from your customers is it not ???cool.gif

tourists are all aware of all the scams, nobody is forced to rent these equipment or go to phuket

Tourists are NOT aware. I live in Thailand and most of the foreigners I work with didn't even know about the jet ski scams. They are not only happening in Phuket, they happen every day on the beach in Pattaya.

I'm just wondering how many of them will fall in love, then selling all back home, coming back to buy houses and cars for her and the relatives.

Of course the very expensive medicine for Step moms' artificial heart and some motorbike accidents, where brothers and uncles lost legs and other excuses, which will be paid by the lover.

It can take a long time to find out that the 30 baht card was invented.........

There's also a high possibility that people just jump down from 23rd floor, or some will hit their heads so badly on a table, that they pass away.

Please be aware of Chiang Mai's favorite hotel;, where people just die under unknown circumstances. Amazing country. :jap:

I have to laugh at your post, because it is so often true...don't we nearly always laugh at the truth. The old one years and years ago-from a Thai- My grandmothers died againlaugh.giflaugh.gif

I have the means to do this if you would like to contact me

Tourists are NOT aware. I live in Thailand and most of the foreigners I work with didn't even know about the jet ski scams. They are not only happening in Phuket, they happen every day on the beach in Pattaya.

Dear Sir,

It's pretty obvious that we've got forums like this one to discuss the situation, circumstances, social environmental disorders and other problems like scams.

I guess living in the 21st century enables all of us to gather any information from the Internet these days.

Your statement that tourists wouldn't be aware what some people here are doing is understandable. But even then, you could read plenty of advices from your Embassy, or other sources, before coming to Thailand.

I think that many TV members are living here in LOS and most are aware what's going on around us. And with all respect, in Pattaya are not just jet ski scams, that might turn a holiday into a nightmare.

Living here doesn't necessarily mean that we all know what's happening around us. But a forum like TV could help a lot of people to have a better holiday and life in Thailand.

Greetings from the lower northeast. :jap:

Thank you. I will be in touch via PM.

I'd like to be honest with you regarding your post. There's so much hate in your text, almost unbelievable.

What makes Thailand so different that many people here settled down? Indeed many things are wrong, but how would it be if there would be cameras everywhere?

Prices for houses and food much higher, nobody smiling at you, beaches all closed because of the jet ski drama......................

A fine of 10,000 baht for driving without seat belt and less freedom.

You remind me of a man who paid 10 baht more than usual for some flowers and he almost had a heart attack about this 'scam'.

Everything in this country was bad, that's why I was asking him very politely why he wouldn't like to go back home to Germany where he came from.

The problem was that they took his drivers license away in Europe and he enjoyed more freedom here in Thailand.

Seriously, there are many things I don't like here, but also a lot of things I love. And that's why I'm still here.

It is up to everybody to leave a place they obviously hate. Good day. :jap:

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story-other.php?sid=178

Think this guy beat you to it..He lost his daughter in THat certain hotel in Chaing Mai without anyone giving any answers as to why she died.......Am sure he would be grateful for valid input to his site or even cash if your that way inclined..

I'd like to be honest with you regarding your post. There's so much hate in your text, almost unbelievable.

What makes Thailand so different that many people here settled down? Indeed many things are wrong, but how would it be if there would be cameras everywhere?

Prices for houses and food much higher, nobody smiling at you, beaches all closed because of the jet ski drama......................

A fine of 10,000 baht for driving without seat belt and less freedom.

You remind me of a man who paid 10 baht more than usual for some flowers and he almost had a heart attack about this 'scam'.

Everything in this country was bad, that's why I was asking him very politely why he wouldn't like to go back home to Germany where he came from.

The problem was that they took his drivers license away in Europe and he enjoyed more freedom here in Thailand.

Seriously, there are many things I don't like here, but also a lot of things I love. And that's why I'm still here.

It is up to everybody to leave a place they obviously hate. Good day. :jap:

I politely suggets that you read my post without your cynical holier than thou attitude and jaundiced reply which has no bearing upon my original reply. There is not one word of hatred towards the Thai people. Nor have i discussed the views of living, the costs, cameras in the west (blah blah in your post ) compared to your fable of the costs of living here vis a vis driving licenses etc etc. IF you do not have a command of the English language and I fail to relate your irrational and unrelated stories to my post, in relation to a simple truth I have spoken about within this society of constant lies and corruption.

Indeed others have also added some words of support to my viewpoint. So once again....read,,digest and understand what I was saying before you type an inane and unrelated answer.

Dear Sir,

It's pretty obvious that we've got forums like this one to discuss the situation, circumstances, social environmental disorders and other problems like scams.

I guess living in the 21st century enables all of us to gather any information from the Internet these days.

Your statement that tourists wouldn't be aware what some people here are doing is understandable. But even then, you could read plenty of advices from your Embassy, or other sources, before coming to Thailand.

I think that many TV members are living here in LOS and most are aware what's going on around us. And with all respect, in Pattaya are not just jet ski scams, that might turn a holiday into a nightmare.

Living here doesn't necessarily mean that we all know what's happening around us. But a forum like TV could help a lot of people to have a better holiday and life in Thailand.

Greetings from the lower northeast. :jap:

Dear Sir

Thanks for the politeness of your response but I still disagree on this point. Actually, I understand that a review has been done in the past of people who respond on these forums and most do not live in LOS. Most people I know are well aware of these forums and don't respond on them because of the negativity and ignorance of so many posters and TV's reputation is unfortunately not good, thanks to these respondents. Mostly I don't log in myself, only read the news items, as I find them useful to keep informed and applaud the basic intentions of the website. Thus, I avoid the controversial forums.

It is some years since I was a tourist here, but I had no idea of the scams when I came. I actually knew nothing at all about Thailand - it had no place in my interest at that time. So I too got caught - by a tuk tuk driver :D The information is not so available if you have no idea what to expect...

Seriously though, a lot of people who work here (not retirees with time on their hands) don't spend their spare time browsing forums like this, even if it might be to their advantage to do so. And those who ARE aware, eventually develop a level of frustration at so many Thais who will always stick together against the foreigner (if there is a problem when one of their own is involved), but at least they learn to take care of themselves. Your point about Pattaya is noted and I agree that one needs to be a little 'street-wise' in that glorious location.

Greetings from the City of 'Angels'

It is not Thai bashing and neither is it a diatribe as you call it...read the dictionary and compare my statement with facts as opposed to your so called accusation of a diatribe.. All of us are entitled to our views of the Thai society and culture. I have only hit out the corruption/scams/overcharging.

If you live in your own bubble that denies all these simple facts of reality...then get out more, or do you sit behind a computer all day and send inane responses to matters of which you have no knowledge . But do not attack me personally...there are too many of your ilk who do not possess the courage nor politeness for a decent conversation on face to face to face basis There are many posts on this very same subject. These are the vagaries of living here. I accept them but I am entitled to air my views without being as personal as you.

This site is supposed to be informative and allow a person to air one's views.....Therefore others can glean whatever information they want to make their choice to visit or live here.

Regarding the numbers closing down, take a walk around the well known hitherto businesses in whatever area you live in that is dependent on tourism and get a reality check. This information is also freely available from the local minister of interior , which is another source of my information regarding the number of business that have opened in any fiscal year and the number which have closed down Apart from that there are many unregistered businesses, which I have seen open and close within the past three years.

What? Did I rub a sore spot?No bubble my friend. I am involved in the tourist industry and have been for the last 16 years in Thailand. I know the numbers quite well. I too should be allowed to air my views and opinions and your post was more about how f*ked up this country is more than giving out any useful information. Misery likes company and so the saying goes. Lighten up! Life is to short.

So, one must presume they are not Thai visa members then?

Funny the amount of farangs you meet in BK who say they have never seen this site, yet they know everything about the country, know all the issues regarding expat life in Thailand AND even tell stories that are posted on here..claiming they heard it from a friend :o

I've often wondered why that is, but after reading the opinions on threads like this i have a pretty good idea :whistling:

What? Did I rub a sore spot?No bubble my friend. I am involved in the tourist industry and have been for the last 16 years in Thailand. I know the numbers quite well. I too should be allowed to air my views and opinions and your post was more about how f*ked up this country is more than giving out any useful information. Misery likes company and so the saying goes. Lighten up! Life is to short.

I find it quite funny that you are both claiming to have these facts and figures, yet neither of you have posted them.:whistling:

Come on lads! Where are the numbers?

I agree with you, they hate to lose face and will not face reality. So, here is my proposal.

I would like to see a "sticky thread" here with information about companies that do not have a two tiered price structure, that are foreign owned or have a foreign partner and speak English. We can't get the government to do anything, so we have to do it ourselves and direct business to places that play fair. We can call it the Thaivisa BBB (better business bureau) I don't think it will cure all the evils of this place but it could be a great resource.