Crazy Phone Call All Day

backstairs

Following on from the person who is getting crazy internet errors all morning; I have been getting calls from an 082 number all day. I connect on my mobile and a computer like voice firstly in English tells me to ring the number. I tried calling back. Nada.

It might have been someone who wants me to pay so I tried that. A distant voice could be heard. I asked for a name. Nothing. I said 'this must be wrong number' all in English.

Put the phone down and offed the connection.

Rang again 5 minutes later. I have had repeated attempts to phone me. What is going on? Is this what they mean by a Friday special?

082 is also an area where originators of many calls also

want you to call back

so an international call charge can be initiated from your end.

Well, hope yours is not the same. But it pays to be extra cautious though. ;)

082 is also an area where originators of many calls also

want you to call back

so an international call charge can be initiated from your end.

As I think the same to be cautious.. but I do not see how the caller would be charged for an international call when calling in Thailand.

As the caller returning a callback from wherever geographical location, unbeknown to those placing the callback, the call goes thru international charging line.

And most probably, caller is not notified either that he is in fact initiating an international callback service which involves paying for the call.

Worse yet, those you are placing the call to, are also charging you per minute charge as you are trying to find out what you want to find out.

It is similar to the 900 number call which used to be very popular some time ago where calling customers are charged per minute call.

Alright, I never use those services myself, I just read about them and know something about how those people operate. That is the fact. LOL ;)

The calls have ceased for now. I assumed that being 082 it was like other O8- starters; origin Thailand. When I called back it said, 'line busy'. Maybe it was some sort of direct-selling computer-generated thing. I am 1-2-Call user. I checked balance. No great drop in amount of money left on sim card. Another mystery of life in Phuket.

Probably because my number is in a few business directories, sometimes I get calls that deliver a taped message in Thai, no doubt trying to sell me something. Never took the trouble to listen to find out what they are selling. Occasionally it also happens I pick up the phone and get a taped message requesting me to hold the line and wait, are they really expecting people will do so?