What'S The Matter With My Desktop?

Semper

Sometimes it start with a message like "Boot Failure". Sometimes it starts windows but not completely, and on- off button doeos not work. So I have to press the Restart button or pull the plug. However I have realised that if I give the computer a good kick (when it's turned off) and the start it up again. It's always working. And this is not a joke.

So it's obviously a mechanical problem. Any Ideas? :rolleyes:

A good kick of the pC can do wonder for the life of your hard disk. But not in a positive way.\

Atthough I would agree with the above posters that it may well be just a loose cable, it could also be the start of a hardware failure of your disk. NOW is the time to make sure all important data is backed up.

Then I would search the web for some disk diagnostic tools and run a scan. There are many good free ones out there but I have not used any for a while so somebody else might like to make a recomendation.

If you know the manufacturer of your hard disk, I would start by looking at their web site for some free check-up/dignostic tools

While it could be dirty cable connections, it could be the start of disk failure, and it could be "stiction" causing it. This is where the heads literally lock the platter(s) from spinning on power up. Kicking the pc frees the heads and allows the disks to spin. You can tell by opening the case (you will anyway to clean and reseat the cables) and listen to the drive spin up (or not) when you get the boot failure.

As was already said, back up your data now and plan on replacing the hard disk if the trouble shooting shows the drive is going bad. It isn't difficult to clone the drive to a new one if the old drive is working, but impossible after a failure.

Also, depending on the system, there are some system bios that flake out and "lose" the drive. Check for a bios upgrade from the manufacturer.

Check if your graphics card is nvidia. If it is some components are lose from motherboard because of the heat they produce. Repair cost 4000 - 10000 Baht with 1 month warrenty. Better buy new one.

Ron

you think!!!

There can be so many reasons...

A year ago I had this problem with my HP Pavilion Desktop PC : the HP service center in BKK told me that my Win XP operating system was corrupted.

Luckily I had a (legal) Win XP CD and indeed with a fresh install all went back to normal