Thai Farm Trucks

5555555, Indeed it is an ETAN.If you live in Southern Buriram, that is the pronunciation. No ,it will no be registered, It cannot be, they are considered the same as Rot Tai. or walking tractor. From the photo I cannot tell if it has had overload springs fitted your comment re : Thais reaction to your driving it, may I add, Thais absolutely love to see me drive mine, I get waves , thumbs up ,heaps of smiles, they totally are bulk impressed at seeing a farang driving an ETAN.Yours appears to have been professinally built, you maybe surprised at what its load carrying capacity might be!!!! Enjoy, Bill

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A, professionally built is a relative term (snicker snicker). Prior to my visit the family (and my wife as she as visiting at the time) loaded it with 20 50kg bags of fertilizer, drove about 18 klicks from town to farm, turned into the house driveway (also snicker snicker at the description driveway there) and the rear tire blew up.

Buddha luck and all that, they made it to the house, or so wife gladly told me. That would be about 1 ton of payload plus assorted family or yokels.

When I was there recently, we loaded (2) 55 gallon water drums in the bed and filled, I guess that to be about 900 lbs, and it squat low and the wooden body sides scrubbed the replacement tires. Uh, hey, remove 1 drum full or we'll be buying another set of tires, OK?

And for safety sake, this is the bridge (again snickers) that I expressly FORBADE anyone from driving the E10 over....

post-100729-0-09804100-1305066864_thumb.

Canada,

In your first post you mentioned seeing an extra Hi/Lo ratio gearbox in the drive train.

If you are ever in that shop again could you get a photo.

Also could you ask them where the box came from,

out of a 4WD ? what brand ?

Thanks

Customcurb -Tyre blow out ? Your fault, snicker ,snicker ,not the etan builders .Put dodgy rubber on - have problems. Load water , springs go the other way, snicker, snicker ? Too much weight for them? Of course it is ,They are designed for a standard pick up load. Your fault .You do like the rest of us do - fit overload springs ,can now carry 3 ton easy. Not the builders fault. Haven't had the chance to walk your bridge, so can't really comment, but looks better built than some down here. Looks quite strong actually ,for Thailand

Customcurb -Tyre blow out ? Your fault, snicker ,snicker ,not the etan builders .Put dodgy rubber on - have problems. Load water , springs go the other way, snicker, snicker ? Too much weight for them? Of course it is ,They are designed for a standard pick up load. Your fault .You do like the rest of us do - fit overload springs ,can now carry 3 ton easy. Not the builders fault. Haven't had the chance to walk your bridge, so can't really comment, but looks better built than some down here. Looks quite strong actually ,for Thailand

Snigger snigger - exactly - 100% blame the tyre manufacturers but I bet the tyres were worn out already and if you build the E-tan with

1 tonne springs and a heavier body than they normally carry then they will carry how much without overload / over rider springs??- snigger snigger

This is an entertaining and informative thread when apples are compared with apples not grapefruit snigger snigger

snig·ger/ˈsnigər/

Verb: Give such a laugh: "they snigger at him behind his back".

Noun: A smothered or half-suppressed laugh.

Where I come from and most countries snicker is a chocolate bar

Pond life, Not sure why. I understand not many people are aware of them in your neck of the woods.You are a long way from us!!.It is basically in Southern Isarn where they were first developed.Maybe the 10 H.P. might have problems, but the 14 should be o.k.. You might have to spend more working the gears ,when loaded. I have driven mine UP Prasat Phanom Rung. Believe you me , that is a bloody steep climb. Pick-ups are down to 2nd gear, some even into 1st, on one climb,My ETAN performed the same.as them.

Could you possibly post some pictures of the front end of the gearbox.

Im interested to see how the belt drive & clutch are mated.

I've been toying with the idea of building something like this myself.

Thanks

Here you go PL. Just financed this one, it cost around B60,000 "new" excluding the engine. It has lights, indicators and electric start. Power to the clutch is transmitted by three V belts, another belt runs to the alternator.

post-49089-0-62128700-1305445119_thumb.j

post-49089-0-61639000-1305445146_thumb.j

post-49089-0-33740300-1305445210_thumb.j

Ho, You Dastardly Dick, you. I can't tell from the photos, How many H.P.? it looks like a 3 metre tray. is it?Does it have drop down sides?Where abouts will it operate ? Carting what? Congrats, it looks good. Bill

Ho, You Dastardly Dick, you. I can't tell from the photos, How many H.P.? it looks like a 3 metre tray. is it?Does it have drop down sides?Where abouts will it operate ? Carting what? Congrats, it looks good. Bill

It's a 10hp motor, it feels rather heavy and underpowered, maybe we need to lower the gearing a bit. Yes I guess the tray is about 3m long, the sides are fixed. It's up in Nongbualamphu province, main task is to haul sugar cane about 7km to the local factory.

Edited by DickDastardly

Mine is 14 h.p..I don't know what your unloading system is, but ours ,unloading Mun(cassava) we drop the sides and the front end loader pushes off about 95% of the load, VERY quickly. No manual work, except to clean up the residue. Saves a lot of time in unloading.Don't know what kind of gearbox ,you have . Mine is a standard Nissan pick-up 5 speed . Have no problem with the ratios.

• 2 months later...

In Phitsanulok this vehicles are called rot-e-tan and if they have only 2 wheels they are called e-tan. I had one built last year with a enclosed cabin and instead of a little kubota engine had a secondhand Toyota 2.5 litre diesel (85 hp) put in there. First drive I had in it scrared the sh`t out of me. Hardly any brakes!! Doing roughly 80kph it took 200 meters to come to a full stop!! I think it will easily do 120 kph. The brakes are a bit better now but not much. I had to take the doors off because of the tremendous heat of the motor. I will try soon to put some better brakes on it so I can scare the locals when I sneak up to them from behind doing 120kph plus with my high beams flashing. :rolleyes:

cheers

jopham

Edited by jopham

You guys should do a club day gettogether sometime.

( Only problem is that it'll take about a week for anyone to get wherever the event will be held. ;) )

55555555 Hey ,hold on there!!! .Mine will truck along at 50 k.p.h. Though she is most comfortable cruising at around 40. I do the 70+ kilometres from my house to Makro in Buriram in under 2 hours. With Natural Air Conditioning.The problem with your excellent suggestion is ,we are NOT allowed on Major highways, so I cannot travel outside of Isarn. O.K.so long as I stick to 2 number highways, like Number 24 ,which I use sometimes.

Have learned there are many 'factorys' operated as cottage industrys in various villages in Issan. Typically, there are several very similar producers in the same village.

Shopped several 'factorys' last February/March in the area of Ta Chong, which is on 224 between Lahansai and Ban Kruat; one English speaking manufacturer was right on the highway in Ta Chong; and 3 other 'factory's' were located a few miles NW of Ta Chong. All of these vehicles were produced from 'junker' small pickups; isuzu, toyota, nissan, mitsubishi, ford and perhaps a few others. Was coached by neighbors/in-laws from our village; toyota or nissan are preferred do to sturdiness & quality. Watch out for those which appear to have been too close to the ocean as they are overly rusted up. According to my neighbors as well as the manufacturer who spoke English, it is getting harder and harder to find good Toyota or Nissan prospects for Rot Etans.

Also visited a 'factory' located right on hwy 24, east bound side, just west of Nong Ki. This place did only new construction, from the ground up; so all parts, frame, axles, etc were new (with the exception of the steering column) but were also at a higher price. Quality was very good. Bigger units available with dually's and even heavier / larger capabilities.

Have also seen several solid orange colored vehicles in Nang Rong and in Prakhon Chai, which appeared to be well built.

BillH52

Edited by BillH52

bIll-Never seen mine? It does get to P.K.C.and Buriram.But not Nang Rong. There are also about 4) "manufacturers" on the road between Ban Kruat ang Prasat Muang Tum( which is where mine was born, about 4 years ago) ,(Phanom Rung)These were the original makers and the wreckers yard is in that area ,also. Which is where i bought my chassis. There is a very good engineer ,who builds from the ground up in Ban Kruat.If you cannot find a good 2nd hand chassis.

Edited by afarang

bIll-Never seen mine? It does get to P.K.C.and Buriram.But not Nang Rong. There are also about 4) "manufacturers" on the road between Ban Kruat ang Prasat Muang Tum( which is where mine was born, about 4 years ago) ,(Phanom Rung)These were the original makers and the wreckers yard is in that area ,also. Which is where i bought my chassis. There is a very good engineer ,who builds from the ground up in Ban Kruat.If you cannot find a good 2nd hand chassis.

Don't recall seeing a solid yellow one; but then, . . . . . do remember seeing 50+ loaded & waiting at the Sugar Cane weigh station close to Nong Boat.

Would be interested in visiting the 'factorys' you mention; especially the ground up builder in Ban Kruat. Spending 4 1/2 months in Kok Wan, this year; beginning end of November.

• 1 month later...

Here's a pic of my etan which was a "gift" from my wife's aunt. She had been using it for more than 35 years and has now slowed down on the farming bit. Powered by a 2000cc Datsun, NOT Nissan, engine. In her more active days she would haul 30 bags of rice and the workers with it. She couldn't find the book but it has number plates and is registered in Kanchanaburi province.

post-138966-0-76060300-1314334681_thumb.

There are several real professional e-tan manufacturers in Thailand. Even some making vehicles for export. One even has a good website!

Legally, for it to be classified as an e-tan under Thai law the engine must be connected to the gear box by a belt drive. So after showing where you bought the chassis from and a receipt for an engine if it is in reasonable condition it can be registered.

As the original OP mentioned he drives at 40-50 km/h and this was the original intent of the design being accepted, as a vehicle to be driven on roads. Many e-tans are just patch together jobs and do not have any insurance and registration. They all use original braking systems without vacuum boosters which are outright dangerous as some have noted!

Last year at the height of the Red Fury in Bangkok hundreds of idle e-tans where driven to Bangkok to protest the Democrat government. All of them had registration and 3rd party insurance.

Now to the fun part! One professional manufacturer told me he could make a toyota LN 106 4x4 version and register one for me with a 10hp kubota engine in it. After the documentation came through for the registration he told me he could put the original 4 cylinder diesel back in and I could drive it at will and never have any problems. Nearly bought one!

Edited by Badbanker

There are several real professional e-tan manufacturers in Thailand. Even some making vehicles for export. One even has a good website!

Legally, for it to be classified as an e-tan under Thai law the engine must be connected to the gear box by a belt drive. So after showing where you bought the chassis from and a receipt for an engine if it is in reasonable condition it can be registered.

As the original OP mentioned he drives at 40-50 km/h and this was the original intent of the design being accepted, as a vehicle to be driven on roads. Many e-tans are just patch together jobs and do not have any insurance and registration. They all use original braking systems without vacuum boosters which are outright dangerous as some have noted!

Last year at the height of the Red Fury in Bangkok hundreds of idle e-tans where driven to Bangkok to protest the Democrat government. All of them had registration and 3rd party insurance.

Now to the fun part! One professional manufacturer told me he could make a toyota LN 106 4x4 version and register one for me with a 10hp kubota engine in it. After the documentation came through for the registration he told me he could put the original 4 cylinder diesel back in and I could drive it at will and never have any problems. Nearly bought one!

Don't know where you are getting your legal advice from. In C.Buriram , you CANNOT register an Etan. Mine is built to roadworthy standards and when built had a brand new 14 H.P. engine. Braking system dangerous ? TOTAL nonsense .As the vehicle is lighter than a pick=up , it stops real quick.Never ,ever have I seen a registered Etan.And although I have owned and driven one, for 4 years now.which I CANNOT register , NO drivers licence is required .Though you will be pleased to learn ,I do have one. Plus I NEVER get stopped at Police Road Blocks. Always get waved right on through. Someone is feeding you porkies.

Don't know where you are getting your legal advice from. In C.Buriram , you CANNOT register an Etan. Mine is built to roadworthy standards and when built had a brand new 14 H.P. engine. Braking system dangerous ? TOTAL nonsense .As the vehicle is lighter than a pick=up , it stops real quick.Never ,ever have I seen a registered Etan.And although I have owned and driven one, for 4 years now.which I CANNOT register , NO drivers licence is required .Though you will be pleased to learn ,I do have one. Plus I NEVER get stopped at Police Road Blocks. Always get waved right on through. Someone is feeding you porkies.

I have seen dozens if not hundreds of e-tan and a-toys registered in the central plains area in around my farm. As most of you know I work closely with the police who have confirmed the law to me. Registry is dependent on you having a receipt and and full tax documentation showing the origin of the chassis and engine and it can only be a belt drive!

That is the law but how each province chooses to deal with things locally is another thing!

• 1 year later...

I am looking at these e-dens again. I'll try to remember to get some pics next time I am out looking at the bigger one. I think there is a little confusion after re-reading this thread. There are a couple of different types of e-dens. First and probably originally is a home built truck using an old chassis. These probably are not register-able unless you have the original registration book that belonged to the chassis. If you happen to have that book, you would likely be able to register the homebuilt vehicle with proof of purchase of the new motor. The next type is the ones that are most common in my area although there are homebuilt trucks too. I should mention that some of the homebuilt trucks that look just like one of these e-dens have the original motor that went with the frame and have a book and plates. I was looking at one the other day. Anyways, the other type is the built from ground up ones that do have different gear ratios, grearboxes and rearends available. They are also rated ( by whom, I don't know) for different load capacity. These ones are usually quite colorful and usually have 4 wheels but I have seen them with dually's. The dually model is higher load rated, has the extra gear box and are fairly expensive.

Vocabulary clarification: in this area anyways, the 2 wheel tractor is called a "rot tai lik" as already stated. When they add the trailer to it, they now call it an e-dek. There are 2 type of tractors here; rot tai lik which is the 2 wheeler and rot tai which is a normal tractor. They call a CAT a tractor, an excavator a makhoe, a grader is rot grade. Any type of e-den is called a rot e-den, whether is is register-able or not, whether it has good brakes or not, or regardless of what type of engine it has or how the engine is connected to the rest of the drivetrain, or what the rest of the drivetrain consists of. They are all e-dens.

Afarang.....I have a 35 year old pickup. I also have the book. And the plate(s). If I used the chassis from it, built a new truck with that, put a 14 hp Kubota on it, I could report the change of engine with it's documentation, and continue to legally use the plates on that vehicle. It would have to pass their inspection at the inspection facility. Usually these inspections are just a checking of the numbers of the frame and engine to make sure that they match or at least have proper documentation if they don't. Your's being non registerable is not an accurate representation of what is possible. It is just that yours is not registerable. That's all. It does not mean that mine is not, or that ones that I have been looking at in the store are not.

Edited by Canada