Malaysia Blames Thailand Over Cambodia Border Clash

webfact

Malaysia blames Thailand over Cambodia border clash

KUALA LUMPUR, May 9, 2011 (AFP) - Malaysia on Monday blamed Thailand for the renewed clashes on the Thai-Cambodia border, saying it had reneged on a deal to send observers to the disputed region.

The dispute overshadowed a weekend summit of the 10-member Southeast Asian bloc, where Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen launched into a tirade against Thailand over the conflict that has left 18 dead since last month.

Thailand and Cambodia agreed in February to accept Indonesian military observers on the border but the initiative remains on ice due to Thai demands that Cambodia first pull troops out of the temple.

"An agreement had been agreed upon, (Thailand) should adhere to it, I wouldn't want to say lacking in faith... (but) they did not adhere to the agreement," Malaysian deputy foreign minister Richard Riot Jaem told reporters.

"Thailand refused and that's why the skirmish came again," said Riot, who attended the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) meeting where it was agreed 30 observers would be stationed on either side of the border.

"All the 10 countries, I stress, including Thailand and Cambodia, agreed to the agreement but sad to say, the agreement was brought back to the respective two countries. Cambodia accepted it, Thailand did not accept," he said.

"Before this, Cambodia was pointing at Thailand as starting the attack and Thailand said it was Cambodia who started ...so to (determine) who started the skirmish... the foreign ministers decided to assign obervers."

Some 85,000 people have been temporarily displaced in weeks of clashes over ownership of a small patch of territory surrounding an 11th-century Khmer temple. The temple itself belongs to Cambodia.

The relationship between the two countries has been strained since the 900-year-old Preah Vihear temple was granted UN World Heritage status in July 2008.

Sporadic cross-border fights have erupted since then, occasionally claiming lives, but the recent violence -- mainly at a new flashpoint about 150 km (90 miles) west of Preah Vihear -- has been the fiercest yet.

ASEAN's weakness in conflict resolution was thrown into stark relief Sunday when the leaders' final statement after the summit in Jakarta merely said the dispute "should be amicably resolved in the spirit of ASEAN solidarity".

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono hosted an unscheduled meeting with the Thai and Cambodian leaders on Sunday but it failed to achieve a breakthrough in negotiations.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-09

Brilliant, it is obvious to all who reneged on a deal here, just as it is obvious who is the aggressor, now we have a foreign minister from a third party also stating who is to blame, no doubt Thailand will hide this from its own people or throw some mud back at malaysia in the hope that thais will believe it.

Cue yellow shirts to march to Malay border and the army to take up offensive positions.

:lol:

Aint it tough having to deal on the international stage. They just don't seem to understand the Thai position on this issue. By the time this is finished, the only friend Thailand will have in Asean will be Burma, or maybe they will have a say on the matter too.

now we have a foreign minister from a third party also stating who is to blame

Actually, you have a deputy saying the OP.

I'm most curious as to what his boss says about it.

Quite why his assistant was being interviewed and not the man in charge is curious.

Perhaps he had no good sound-bites such as the OP, which may or may not, reflect the opinion of "Malaysia" utilized in the thread title.

Cue yellow shirts to march to Malay border and the army to take up offensive positions.

:lol:

Aint it tough having to deal on the international stage. They just don't seem to understand the Thai position on this issue. By the time this is finished, the only friend Thailand will have in Asean will be Burma, or maybe they will have a say on the matter too.

Conversely, if it turns out that Richard Riot Jaem was not given the authority to speak for "Malaysia", he could be the one getting read the riot act.

Richard Riot Jaem

What an excellent name!

" TONIGHT! ONE NIGHT ONLY AT CBGB'S! THE RAMONES, BLACK FLAG, DEAD KENNEDYS AND RICHARD RIOT AND THE SPUNKERS "

Quite why his assistant was being interviewed and not the man in charge is curious.

Perhaps he had no good sound-bites such as the OP, which may or may not, reflect the opinion of "Malaysia" utilized in the thread title.

I guess we should just ignore everything suthep says then, what with him only being a deputy.

your desire to try and prove Thailand right on everything is pathetic to be honest, when will you start calling a spade a spade? I know your happy to do it when the reds are involved, but when it is your precious dems or yellows you will do all you can to divert blame, how embarrassing for you it must be to be renownded or this, along with your pointless links to newspaper articles etc hoping for some confusion, you hope that by spouting nonsense will posters will not see through the diversions.

Thailand are the aggressors here, that is clear, the sooner you understand that its not always everyone else that is lying, a lot of the time (almost always) is is your precious pm and the rest of the dems.

your desire to try and prove Thailand right on everything is pathetic to be honest

Interesting that you perceive a wish for establishing factual information as "pathetic."

when will you start calling a spade a spade?

I did. I reminded the forum that the OP is not from the Malaysian Foreign Minister as you incorrectly posted it was.

I snipped your other nonsensical inflammatory comments off that had nothing to do with what I posted... which was to simply fix your error and in that context raise the question of why the real boss was not saying the OP.

Edited by Buchholz

Nothing new in the Malaysian position. It's something all this planet know. Even the Thais know that as they are at the best place to see what happened.

Now, Thai army does not mind, they made already 18 (or 32?) coups. They are not ashamed at all like the Burmese or North Korean generals.

They have a VERY severe civil war in the South and they choose to attack a neighbor. Losing face is obviously not a problem for them.

Nothing new in the Malaysian position.

Would like to see your previous news items where the Malaysian government has assigned blame over the Thai-Cambodian border issue on Thailand as its official position.

Of course, it would really be good if that was to come from either the Prime Minister or Foreign Minister, but other Cabinet minister quotes you have that would reinforce that this position is "nothing new" would also be interesting to read.

Edited by Buchholz

The trouble with the agitated responses from the Thai army's cheerleaders is that there is nothing in the Malayasian Deputy Foreign Ministers comments which is not true, though perhaps in the context of Asean (that feeble and gutless organisation) he was rather bold in saying so.To ask why the Foreign Minister isn't making the statement is like asking why Abhisit isn't making the statement if Suthep has something to say.The Thais did renege on the deal and there's no point in hiding it.The appalling behaviour of the Thai army can't be overlooked, especially as its leadership essentially told Abhisit and little Kasit to get lost on this issue.The world knows the Thai army is primarily responsible for stirring up this border trouble, and why it wants to prolong it.A great shame for Thailand that these wicked bunglers are exposed to the world

It would be interesting to hear from the right honourable Mr. Taksin on this issue and how he will solve the problem of the temples when/if he gets back into power! Will he side with his new Cambodia allies or the Thai people? Me thinks he will find himself between a rock and a hard place.......or maybe not!

What else would you expect from a Muslim state?

More than from a Buddhist country that still believes in Animism, Brahmanism and superstitious nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with Buddhism, and that has a an Oxford and Eton educated Prime Minister that wears protective amulets to further these ridiculous non-Buddhist beliefs.

Does that mean that I should remove the small cross I wear around my neck, take the St. Christopher medal out of my wallet and tell me Muslim friend to throw away his 33/99-beads string he always has with him ? Would you approve if I put a photo of k. Thaksin in my wallet, or as my desktop wallpaper ? With your preferences would Mr. Hun Sen do ?

With you it's probably only blank :huh:

Edited by rubl

More than from a Buddhist country that still believes in Animism, Brahmanism and superstitious nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with Buddhism, and that has a an Oxford and Eton educated Prime Minister that wears protective amulets to further these ridiculous non-Buddhist beliefs.

Does that mean that I should remove the small cross I wear around my neck, take the St. Christopher medal out of my wallet and tell me Muslim friend to throw away his 33/99-beads string he always has with him ? Would you approve if I put a photo of k. Thaksin in my wallet, or as my desktop wallpaper ? With your preferences would Mr. Hun Sen do ?

Mister Oberkommando was pointing out the obvious: Animism has nothing to do with Buddhism. Superstition has been incorporated to what Thais claim is Buddhism.

Thais can call their fangled religion what they will but it is not Buddhism as it was conceived by Siddhartha Gautama and practiced in India.

Mr. Oberkommando also alludes to the dysfunctional and incoherent aspect of the current political stage when he refers to Abhisit's background and public image.

It would be a false analogy to equate your questions with the factual assertions of Mr. Oberkommando.:jap:

Brilliant, it is obvious to all who reneged on a deal here, just as it is obvious who is the aggressor, now we have a foreign minister from a third party also stating who is to blame, no doubt Thailand will hide this from its own people or throw some mud back at malaysia in the hope that thais will believe it.

This Malaysian view is probably universal amongst brethren SE Asian countries, as well as other foreign observations.

To be expected, Thailand is eating crow.

Mister Oberkommando was pointing out the obvious: Animism has nothing to do with Buddhism. Superstition has been incorporated to what Thais claim is Buddhism.

Thais can call their fangled religion what they will but it is not Buddhism as it was conceived by Siddhartha Gautama and practiced in India.

Mr. Oberkommando also alludes to the dysfunctional and incoherent aspect of the current political stage when he refers to Abhisit's background and public image.

It would be a false analogy to equate your questions with the factual assertions of Mr. Oberkommando.:jap:

Whereas the post of 'asiawatcher' might be tongue-in-cheek or just provocative, dear Ober said 'superstitious nonsense' which is an INSULT. Whatever you may believe or not believe doesn't give you the right to ridicule others who do. You may condemn some of the harsher parts, like 'kill the infidel', but to ridicule? It doesn't matter a single iota if Thai version of religion is different from Buddhism, it there a need, does it explain a condemnation of the curent Thai PM ?

To defend dear Ober by saying 'he alludes to ...' using terms like 'dysfunctonal', 'incoherent' suggests you accept using contemptuous terms regarding religion to speak in a derogatory manner about the Thai PM. 'Factual assertions', FACTUAL?

To use your words 'it would be a false analogy to equate your defense with opinions brought forward by member Oberkommando'.

This Malaysian view is probably universal amongst brethren SE Asian countries, as well as other foreign observations.

Universal amongst SE Asian brethern? UNIVERSAL amongst a few countries? The logic escapes me, sorry.

The Malaysian remarks only blame Thailand 'saying it had reneged on a deal to send observers to the disputed region'. That has nothing to do with who is the aggressor. Thailand will not hide these remarks and simply state ones more why they cannot accept observers under current conditions.

Why oh why needs the obvious to be pointed out every time?

Universal amongst SE Asian brethern? UNIVERSAL amongst a few countries? The logic escapes me, sorry.

The Malaysian remarks only blame Thailand 'saying it had reneged on a deal to send observers to the disputed region'. That has nothing to do with who is the aggressor. Thailand will not hide these remarks and simply state ones more why they cannot accept observers under current conditions.

Why oh why needs the obvious to be pointed out every time?

I believe that zzaa09 is using "universal" according to definition # 2 -- makes good logical sense to me.

u·ni·ver·sal (yoomacr.giflprime.gifnschwa.gif-vûrprime.gifsschwa.gifl) adj. 1. Of, relating to, extending to, or affecting the entire world or all within the world; worldwide: "This discovery of literature has as yet only partially penetrated the universal consciousness" (Ellen Key).2. Including, relating to, or affecting all members of the class or group under consideration: the universal skepticism of philosophers.

Edited by tigermonkey

I believe that zzaa09 is using "universal" according to definition # 2 -- makes good logical sense to me.

u·ni·ver·sal (yoomacr.giflprime.gifnschwa.gif-vûrprime.gifsschwa.gifl) adj. 1. Of, relating to, extending to, or affecting the entire world or all within the world; worldwide: "This discovery of literature has as yet only partially penetrated the universal consciousness" (Ellen Key).2. Including, relating to, or affecting all members of the class or group under consideration: the universal skepticism of philosophers.

Mmmh looking in my copy of OCD (aka Oxford Concise Dictionary) I find on

universal (adj)

1. ...

2. Logic (of a proposition) in which something is asserted of all of a class (opp. PARTICULAR).

Have to think about that. 'universal view amongst brethern SE Asian countries'. I think even with that interpretation the 'universal' and 'amongst' conflicts somehow.

edit: add: mind you with 'probably' in front (as zzaa09 indeed had) it might be sufficiently vague to be possibly correct :)

Edited by rubl

I don't know if you should remove the cross and discard the medal or not. It depends why you wear them. If you wear them as part of your ongoing, dedicated belief in a religion, then is is probably an appropriate comfort and support to you.

I take it that you are Roman Catholic since the St.Christopher medal is an icon of the Roman Catholic church. Is your "small cross" in keeping with the rituals of the Roman Catholics church ? -- . i.e does it have the body of Christ on the cross ?

Perhaps you only wear these things because you think they are 'good' for you. Are they in keeping with your beliefs ? Are they benefiting you daily ? --- or do you only wear them because others have suggested it to you as the thing to do, as the Thais do .

Edited by tigermonkey

I don't know if you should remove the cross and discard the medal or not. It depends why you wear them. If you wear them as part of your ongoing, dedicated belief in a religion, then is is probably an appropriate comfort and support to you.

I take it that you are Roman Catholic since the St.Christopher medal is an icon of the Roman Catholic church. Is your "small cross" in keeping with the rituals of the Roman Catholics church ? -- . i.e does it have the body of Christ on the cross ?

Perhaps you only wear these things because you think they are 'good' for you. Are they in keeping with your beliefs ? Are they benefiting you daily ? --- or do you only wear them because others have suggested it to you as the thing to do, as the Thais do .

I guess I was too subtle, maybe one of these days I should truly start to learn English :huh:

The point I wanted to raise (and I may have done so badly) is my objection against Ober's "superstitious nonsense" and "ridiculous non-Buddhist beliefs". It suggest a lack of manners regarding other people's believes. No more, no less.

Richard Riot Jaem

What an excellent name!

" TONIGHT! ONE NIGHT ONLY AT CBGB'S! THE RAMONES, BLACK FLAG, DEAD KENNEDYS AND RICHARD RIOT AND THE SPUNKERS "

Sadly, Joey Ramone died some time ago, CBGBs closed its doors, Jello Biafra went on to campaign for Ralph Nader, all of which might just be a harbinger of things to come in Thailand. People move on. Soon we might just see Abhisit go to his corporate boards, and Thaksin back to his rightful place in Thailand (The forum's battling boobs can insert whatever his rightful place is, as it's open enough to satisfy even the most discerning of commentators.)

If Malaysia is weighing in, it is an indication of the the perception of Thailand's position in the matter. Right or wrong, it's how Thailand is seen and Thailand needs to get its act together or else it may face a shock when other nations offer comments in Cambodia's favour.

Edited by geriatrickid

Malaysian ellements could well be suspect in southern violence proliferation and obviously have their own historical reasons to see Thailand as an expadionist aggressor. They are not an independent 3rd party.

Thailand was just the best most recent local country to b up in the game of conquest; all played; they need to get over it and stop trying to score points back.

THAI-CAMBODIAN CLASHES

Malaysia may be misinformed : Thai FM

By The Nation

Malaysia may be misinformed about the Thai-Cambodian border clashes, leading it to assume that Thailand was behind the fatal skirmish, Foreign Ministry's spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said Tuesday.

Thai Foreign Ministry will seek the appropriate channels to explain to Malaysia what really happened at the border and the facts behind the dispute, the spokesman said.

On Monday, Malaysia' deputy foreign minister Richard Riot Jaem said that Bangkok did not adhere to the agreement under which Indonesian military observers would be stationed on both sides of the border.

Thani said Thailand believed that Malaysia was wrongly informed about the border conflicts between Thailand and Cambodia. "So it assumed that Thailand caused the conflicts and the skirmish," he said.

The Malaysian minister said Monday, "An agreement had been reached; (Thailand) should adhere to it, I wouldn't want to say lacking in faith... (but) they did not adhere to the agreement."

"Thailand refused and that's why the skirmish occurred again," said the minister who attended the Asean Summit in Jakarta over the weekend, where it was agreed 30 observers would be stationed on either side of the border

The Thai-Cambodia clashes overshadowed the weekend summit, which Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his Khmer counterpart Hun Sen also attended.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-10