Process To Sell Land

Dear Eastern Forum,

Looking for some advice on the process of selling some land in Rayong.

My wife inherited some beach fronted land in Rayong some 3 years ago, and we're now looking to sell. She is being represented by her old family lawyer, and I am not sure he is acting in her interest.

The land has an area of some 18 Rai and is valued at some 8 million Baht per Rai. An overseas buyer has been interested for several months and is coming to Rayong at the end of the month to finalise the transaction.

I understand there are various taxes and transfer fees that are associated with the sale, but we are being asked by the lawyer to have 2.5 million baht in cash prior to the sale to pay for the various fees. The only item I see that requires any initial payment is the Land Tax / Structure Tax, which from my online research should be minimal (there are no structures on the land).

The Transfer fee of 2% needs to be paid on the day of the transfer to the Land Office, and from what I understand is entirely negotiable as to who pays how much between the buyer and seller.

I feel that having to raise such large amount of cash prior to the sale does not sound legitimate. It is normally the purchaser/buyer that has to do this, not the seller !!

Any advice on the process of selling land in Rayong would be most welcome.