Rubber Trees

Thanks for the prompt reply Jim and Cobbler,

from what i have gathered up here about half of the rubber trees have been cropped when they are between 3.5 to 4.0 meters of height,

apparently makes for thicker trees that will produce more rubber and less prone for wind damage, makes sense too me,

its been proven so my inlaws and other locals have informed me but was just after any advice on the correct timing to reduce stress of the tree and best practice

thanks again guys, and cheers Cobbbler looking forward to your response,

CD

Hey Jim I look on Google earth in your area.I can see the ground.I'm surprised you can hide in it.A helecopter could find them.

Very different to jungle ove here.Look on google earth at the jungle west of Bang Saphan.Still have tigers over here and elephants.Come over here and we'll go hiking in the jungle here.I went with the locals from here and we slept out in the bush,carried out food and water,and tools for hunting.Mate you want to have an experience ,come ove here and go hinking in this jungle.Mate you can't hide from the ATO in that jungle.You better come over here and I can assure you nobody will evder find you.

You turn 3 times and don't know which way is up or down,.Only reason you know where the ground is ,is because that's the direction the leaches and tick like insects that take a week to get off you are coming from.Now that's jungleLOL

f

v

Again cobbler you have lost me, I live in the north of the Emerald triangle, I can walk to Lao in about a day,on this side national park on the other one village before the Mekong. Nothing but jungle in between. Place has not even been explored properly. Try Google maps Ban Sang Hom. Jim

Hey Jim I look on Google earth in your area.I can see the ground.I'm surprised you can hide in it.A helecopter could find them.

Very different to jungle ove here.Look on google earth at the jungle west of Bang Saphan.Still have tigers over here and elephants.Come over here and we'll go hiking in the jungle here.I went with the locals from here and we slept out in the bush,carried out food and water,and tools for hunting.Mate you want to have an experience ,come ove here and go hinking in this jungle.Mate you can't hide from the ATO in that jungle.You better come over here and I can assure you nobody will evder find you.

You turn 3 times and don't know which way is up or down,.Only reason you know where the ground is ,is because that's the direction the leaches and tick like insects that take a week to get off you are coming from.Now that's jungleLOL

f

v

Again cobbler you have lost me, I live in the north of the Emerald triangle, I can walk to Lao in about a day,on this side national park on the other one village before the Mekong. Nothing but jungle in between. Place has not even been explored properly. Try Google maps Ban Sang Hom. Jim

Last season our closed season was only 1 month as we had really good rain.This year will be at least 2 months..... .................... ''' ' JIm

Yep I just found it on google earth.Nearlly went there 1 time,was interested to see the area.We used to import leather jackets from Klong Kler Market to OZ.Money wont allow us to go there this year as any spare money will go into a sprinkler system for our yang.I'm worried about the dry season this year,and feel sure we will get our money we spend back in a short time with extra yang and trees will do a lot better and can maybe reduce our closed season a bit too

Hi guys,

sorry in advance if im off topic a bit,

but i have been sifting through as many posts as i can but have yet to stumble across what im looking for,

i have about 900 rubber trees that are just over 2 years old and there doing well ranging from 3 to 4 meters high,

im from the Nong Khai area and was just after some of your valued experience/advice with cropping the tops of my trees,

ive been told about 3.5 to 4.0 meters is about the best range but was wondering if someone could give me a little advice regarding,

is it best to cut on an angle just above top internode and how far above and do i just cut main stem at top or trim lower aswell,

and is it preferrable to cut just before wet season for the trees health,

thanks in advance guys, i know i could of found the info in this forum somewhere with out botherring you guys,

but im due to return to Australia in about a week so time is not on my side if you think it is ok to do this time of the year i would like to get cracking

Thanks again

Captain Doc

Doc:

I've agressivly trimmed 2 year old trees, 3 years ago and at the time I thought they were going to die. I'll go out later today and take a photo and post it of what they look like now.

It worked out well for me. After the Nock Ten typhoon a year a half ago I had about 2-300 trees knocked down in an area that were never trimmed. In the area I trimmed I had 12 knocked down.

DO NOT cut the main stem at the top. You can cut up to this level. I wouldn't recommed cutting now, the trees will be going dormant sooner this year due to the lack of rain IMHO. I'm up by Ban Dung, so not to far from Nong Khai. I don't do any trimming this time of year, wait untill the next wet season when they are growing again.

That said, I haven't trimmed any more sections as brutaly as the one we did 3 years ago. Firstly because I've got too many to trim, and secondly I think I got lucky doing what I did and don't want to risk it again. On all my trees now I just trim for the first two years and then leave them alone.

Ken

Sorry Jim I just found what I was refering to about the water for yang and pumping up a steep slope.It was GlenB6 on page 56.He said he has a 50 meter bank to pump water up.Hmmm I must make a note to self.DO NOT DRINK TOO MANY BEERS BEFORE USEING INTERNET AS IT RESULTS IN TOO MUCH WAFFLE

blink.png

Hi guys,

but i have been sifting through as many posts as i can but have yet to stumble across what im looking for,

i have about 900 rubber trees that are just over 2 years old and there doing well ranging from 3 to 4 meters high,

im from the Nong Khai area and was just after some of your valued experience/advice with cropping the tops of my trees,

ive been told about 3.5 to 4.0 meters is about the best range but was wondering if someone could give me a little advice regarding,

is it best to cut on an angle just above top internode and how far above and do i just cut main stem at top or trim lower aswell,

thanks in advance guys, i know i could of found the info in this forum somewhere with out botherring you guys,

but im due to return to Australia in about a week so time is not on my side if you think it is ok to do this time of the year i would like to get cracking

Thanks again

Captain Doc

DC no idea what you are talking about, never heard of cropping the tops off. Sure you are not getting confused with removing lower branches.

Page one half way down, beginners guide to rubber. Jim

Cobbler Thanks for the reply, as for rain not really a problem, takes along time for the high country water to work it's way down.

Last night while staring into my beer contemplating bandits, stupid family and tappers, poor rubber prices. The latest one is the 10 roller machine is no good makes bad sheet, tappers want to go back to little machines. Of course the machine has worked fine for years, but the guy who used to set it has gone, tappers won't admit they don't know how to space the rollers. I was approaching a head on tree banging session, when it dawned on me. We have just renewed our factory license, that's every five years, been tapping for 3 years. 10 years ago everyone said I was mad to want to live in the jungle and you will never make a living from rubber.

Well here I sit in my stilt porch in a big house with 4 cars parked outside, every year we were going to go broke and every year we got through.

I expect the sun will rise tomorrow, the bandits will disappear again, rubber will stabilize sometime and I will phone the roller manufacturer to get the roller spacing settings. Can't do everything at once, one problem at a time, expect to be sitting here next year with the same problems.

Wife just came home, she has fired 2 tappers, one problem gone, another cup of coffee and I am off to water the coconuts. Sweat out last nights beer to make room for more tonight. Jim

Mate it's the freedom we all love here.After living in Thai .It's difficult to go back to the fabian man hating countries.Here it's a no work no eat,Love itJust sit back and enjoy what you've accomplished and be proud of yourself.I know I can't believe what we've done here.Never imagined I would have had a rubber farm and done what we've done.

Hi guys,

Thanks again

Captain Doc

Doc:

I've agressivly trimmed 2 year old trees, 3 years ago and at the time I thought they were going to die. I'll go out later today and take a photo and post it of what they look like now.

It worked out well for me. After the Nock Ten typhoon a year a half ago I had about 2-300 trees knocked down in an area that were never trimmed. In the area I trimmed I had 12 knocked down.

DO NOT cut the main stem at the top. You can cut up to this level. I wouldn't recommed cutting now, the trees will be going dormant sooner this year due to the lack of rain IMHO. I'm up by Ban Dung, so not to far from Nong Khai. I don't do any trimming this time of year, wait untill the next wet season when they are growing again.

That said, I haven't trimmed any more sections as brutaly as the one we did 3 years ago. Firstly because I've got too many to trim, and secondly I think I got lucky doing what I did and don't want to risk it again. On all my trees now I just trim for the first two years and then leave them alone.

Ken

Doc:

Here's a couple of photos that I promised, second one is of the tree that were left looking like beanpoles 3 years ago. This was our first planting in 2007 and the wife and I probably did everything that's possible to do wrong. You'll notice the precsion spacing of the trees, my wife's cousin's and something complicated like a tape measure don't mix. My only excuse is I wasnt' there when they were planted.

First photo is of an ajoining piece that's 2.5 years old. I might to a little trimming next spring after the rains start, but nothing drastic

I have to get after the grass, cut in the larger trees and rototill for the younger ones.

Ken

post-20966-0-66308200-1352258293_thumb.j

post-20966-0-19640400-1352258337_thumb.j

Edited by kwonitoy

Ken,

Thanks very much for your post, photo's and info,

it looks like i will wait until the first rains again next year before i do any pruning,

but i am surprised about the"definitive no" about cropping the top few inches off the main stem as i have seen the results of this compared to not cropping at all,

anyway all advice is taken on board and i will have the next 6 months to contemplate before the rains,

busy in the short term clearing more land with the backo anyway,

Mike,

i would be interested in hearing if you have seen the results of this as to why you feel so strongly about not topping trees,

i live in a small village about 70km west of Nong Khai on the Mekong and rubber is everywhere of which about half is topped,

and my brother lives 10km away in the next village and married into a large rubber family and they top every tree between 3.5 to 4.0 metere, (just the top 6inches above the top internode) and swear by it, but their practices / techniques and timing seem a bit brutal to me, this is why i put the question out there and am very surprised about the responses but also appreciative,

anyway thanks again guys,

Doc

I`ve seen it done on one farm up here in Chiang Rai. All the trees as far as I could see came out fine.

Personally, I wouldn`t have the bottle to do it to my trees for obvious reasons.

If it`s a common practice in your area Captain then I don`t see why not. Be sure to let an experienced guy to the cutting for you is all I would say.

C35B.

Gov opposition said on news now ''15,billion baht from IMF and yang never went up at all.Didn't get the 100 baht per kilo.''

Hmmmm sounds exactly the same as what my wife said was going to happen when it all started.It was all just so they could put money in there own pockets.Total money borrowed from IMF 800billion baht.Advantage for thai.SFA.Downside for Thai,Thai will have to repay the money to IMF that the polititions put in there own pockets

Hi all, just a word of caution if anyone should be contacted or see an ad to buy rubber nuts. Don't waste your time, had Koreans 3 or 4 years ago, months of e mails, now it;s Chinese. They want you to spend on their behalf and spend big, they are very confident that their new engineering process is a winner, but not confident enough to front any of their money. It's not a con, but a good idea that is not viable. Jim

A win today, went to the factory where there is no rubber stored and found the wallet of a rubber thief, with ID card. Have not checked the CCTV yet. Can't remember how to do it need the instructions. Think my highly trained attack lick you to death hounds scared them off and bozo dropped his ID running away. Wife and FIL are off to the police to make the report.

If the police do act then this guy will give up the names of the rest of the yabba takers living in druggie town, a small jungle village. Cops can then go in mob handed with a few soldiers, get the lot like last time and clear the are of scum and any they don't get will run back over the border to hide. Peace will return, until next time. Jim

Hope it all works out for you Jim.Sounds like a pain in the asehole

All part of life's rich tapestry. Cops can not act as no crime commented, go to down load the CCTV video, no one remembers the PIN number. It's written on the instructions, where are the instructions. They were in the draw in the office, blank looks. OK phone up the company we bought the CCTV from, don't know the phone number.

I'm an ex cop and know at best trespass maybe, but Thais unlike western crimes talk, cry and give everyone up.

Tomorrow FIL and some local village heads are off to see the District Gov. he then phones the police boss and tells him to act. Jim

• Like 1

captdoc,

why would anyone want to stunt/cut the growth of any tree trunk? Of any type of tree. Think about it, do you want big bushes or tall trees? a rubber tree is still growing at 10-12 years old - upwards. the taller it gets, the more canopy/leaf it gets. Shit, i want 20 metre tall 15 year old trees. Yes i have seen a couple of plantations where the smallholder owners topped the trees at 3-3.5 metres at 3 years old, looks lovely initially from a distance, ahh look, all the same height, lovely, pretty. i asked why'd he do that, answer, he does'nt know what he's doing. For confirmation, ask the proper people, they are only up the road from you. Called the Nong Khai Rubber Institute and School. Phone numbers a few posts/pages back.

Regards,

Mike.

• Like 1

Mike,

(that old chestnut, whats better, girth over length)

cheers for that, i will probably goe and see them before next rainy season and see what they think,

but i take more onboard from experienced ferangs over what any Thai would tell me,

from past experience anyway,

anyway back to the farm, ive got a backo breaking up about 20 rai for me at the moment and the driver is defenitiely not a greeny, he will run anything down,

im quite fond of the hardwood trees and are keeping them but have to throw myself infront of the backo to stop him ripping them down, (555)

already had enough problems with the local government and jonny hoppers, so doing everything i can to keep them on side,

all good fun, loving every minute,

Doc

Edited by captaindoc

Jim.Heard any goss on any price rises per kilo of yang?Everybody round here seems to think it'll stay same as now.Want to sell next week but can't see it moving more than 2 or 3 baht per kilo either way

Cheers Cobbler

P.S. everybody seems to think next year will be same as this year too.

Jim.Heard of any price rises in the pipeline?Everybody round hear seems to think it wont go more than 2 or 3 baht per kilo either way.We are thinking of selling next week but will hold off another week if have chance of good news.

Cheers Cobbler

P.SPeople seem to think it'll be same again next year

Jim.Heard of any price rises in the pipeline?Everybody round hear seems to think it wont go more than 2 or 3 baht per kilo either way.We are thinking of selling next week but will hold off another week if have chance of good news.

Cheers Cobbler

Who knows, China factory out put is up. USA may go broke at the end of the year, EU can't decide whether to tie their shoes from the left or right. No speculators in the market, heads or tails. Whole world is looking for some leadership, but no one is stepping up to the plate.

May just mean that the Mayan calendar is right and all the Governments know, so why bother doing anything.

Think I will still be sitting here next year, just as poor and wondering where the next car payment is coming from. Jim

Cheers Cobbler

Who knows, China factory out put is up. USA may go broke at the end of the year, EU can't decide whether to tie their shoes from the left or right. No speculators in the market, heads or tails. Whole world is looking for some leadership, but no one is stepping up to the plate.

May just mean that the Mayan calendar is right and all the Governments know, so why bother doing anything.

Think I will still be sitting here next year, just as poor and wondering where the next car payment is coming from. Jim

clap2.gif

Thanks For that Jim.As I was reading your answer.My wife said ''he must have seen the same news I did.''Don't worry bout the cars,sounds like your name's not on the loan paper anyhow.Smart man.Mae mi bunha kong chun so give a shit about that

Cheers Cobbler

All the upheaval this year. It makes you think.

fyi, I've got a few water pumps and generators I want to sell (1 submersible well pump, 1 small pressure pump, 1 jet well pump, 1 gasoline engine 5500w generator, 1 yanmar diesel powered 3000w generator head), and the ever popular e-10 farm truck powered by a fairly new 14hp kubota diesel motor. I'll attempt to put these on the classifieds soon but give a shout prior to if interested.

A win today, went to the factory where there is no rubber stored and found the wallet of a rubber thief, with ID card. Have not checked the CCTV yet. Can't remember how to do it need the instructions. Think my highly trained attack lick you to death hounds scared them off and bozo dropped his ID running away. Wife and FIL are off to the police to make the report.

If the police do act then this guy will give up the names of the rest of the yabba takers living in druggie town, a small jungle village. Cops can then go in mob handed with a few soldiers, get the lot like last time and clear the are of scum and any they don't get will run back over the border to hide. Peace will return, until next time. Jim

I hope it had your beer money in at least Jim.laugh.png

Edited by Mosha

Mike, it's an E10 and no clue what it's capacity is. I assume it's the frame of a former nissan or datsun. 60k would be nice as it's got a fairly new kubota 14hp motor. haven't been using it as I use the pickup.

I'm in Ban Nasawan Buengkan if you want to see this lovely wondertruck in person !

post-55380-0-85606000-1352630741_thumb.j

I was going to type a longer pessimistic view of rubber pricing going forward but depressed myself doing so, therefore I'll opine that it's got a lot farther to go down.

Hey it didn't have anything to do with the fact that nearly every country in the world has oil and maybe oil will drop to $50 per barrel in the next 5 years.Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that Thai now owes IMF 800billion baht and no way to pay it back.Many things could happen.Next 3 or so years won't be bright.So think carefully and try to plan ahead.Did that chear you up at all.?biggrin.png Oh I forgot to mention,later this year southern Thai will sink into the ocean.Sorry Mosha,it's shit news for you but great for me.Why?because I'll be sitting on beachfrony property worth billions clap2.gif Oh goody
  • Like 1