Rubber Trees

Hi farmers,

the following Scenario might be interesting, partially wrong, put up a lot of questions or maybe, I also get some advice from the most experienced amongst you:

Looking for land since more than 1 year now (Palm or rubber). Have bought 9 Rai palm near our home around Krabi and that's doing really well.

I have a Budget of 8 Million Baht to buy some more and got the following offer today:

94 Rai, Por Bor Tor, Rubber 20 years old, 4,5 Mio Baht (steep slope, but easy to walk)

7 Rai, Nor Sor Sam, Palm 8 years old, 2,8 Mio Baht (flat land)

20 Rai, Nor Sor Sam, 10 Rai empty and 10 Rai Rubber, 20 years old, 2,5 Mio Baht (flat land)

All is from one owner, total Price is 9,8 Mio Baht, might reduce to 9 Mio, sells only in a package deal (the missing one Million can be organized)

Please no comments on the land title deed, I know.. and... no, I'm not moving to Issaan, where it's all cheaper, I know as well...

As the trees of alltogether 104 Rai are old, I would cut them and get return of the Wood selling, approx. 4,5 Mio Baht.

I would then return the one Million which I was missing and pay for chopping the trees, preparing the land for new trees, etc: 1 Mio Baht

Then I would still have 2,5 Mio Baht left over and put new trees, which apparently cost 20 Baht plus the work 15 Baht (per tree)

104 Rai at 75 trees at 35 Baht would be a total cost of 273.000 Baht.

Now, my most important questions are:

1) What are the cost for fertzilizer for young trees per Rai per year?

2) I was told, one tree, when at cutting age, more or less bring one Baht a day (of cutting, I know there's many days off). Would that one Baht be a net profit or do I still have to deduct the cutters share (40-60 or 50-50)?

As far as the palm part is concerned, I know the figures.

Would be great if someone could give at least some approximate answer.

Thanx a lot!!

Type "Rubber tree economics" into Google.

The answers to your questions are summarised in a web blog called Bandung life, Rubber tree economics.

It should be the 1st website that Google finds.

There is information in this thread that will answer your questions in more detail, but it will take a bit more reading.

# I know the bloke who has that Ban Dung web blog/site. He is a nice bloke, but some of his figures are incorrect, due to "misinformation" from his wife.

# I would say 3-5 baht per day per tree per cut, depending on type of rubber you process and the current price.

#Please no comments on the land title deed, I know.. and... no, I'm not
moving to Issaan, where it's all cheaper, I know as well... - jeezus that land down there is CHEAPER than up here in Isaan, 100k min per rai now with nothing on it, and sor por kor. 150k per rai with 3-4 year old trees. 175k per rai with 5-7 year old trees. 200k per rai with trees 7 years and older and producing. With Chanote or nor sor sam don't even go there! It aint cheap up here anymore dude.

Mike.

• Like 2

# I know the bloke who has that Ban Dung web blog/site. He is a nice bloke, but some of his figures are incorrect, due to "misinformation" from his wife.

# I would say 3-5 baht per day per tree per cut, depending on type of rubber you process and the current price.

moving to Issaan, where it's all cheaper, I know as well... - jeezus that land down there is CHEAPER than up here in Isaan, 100k min per rai now with nothing on it, and sor por kor. 150k per rai with 3-4 year old trees. 175k per rai with 5-7 year old trees. 200k per rai with trees 7 years and older and producing. With Chanote or nor sor sam don't even go there! It aint cheap up here anymore dude.

Mike.

Mike,

Just to confirm.

3 to 5 Baht per tap, per tree would be the gross income.

50% would have to be deducted for the tapper.

So the plantation owners income would be 1.5 to 2.5 Baht per tree, per tap.

Anybody know if you transport your kee yang to big market in bangkok or rayong(?) is it possible to sell it for 59 baht/kilo which is thai rubber price on internet? I know middle men buy it around 40 baht or lower but price in bangkok should be much higher than that?

Mike.

Mike,

Just to confirm.

3 to 5 Baht per tap, per tree would be the gross income.

50% would have to be deducted for the tapper.

So the plantation owners income would be 1.5 to 2.5 Baht per tree, per tap.

40% for the tapper

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if there's another thread about this topic- coffee shrubs between rubber trees. After harvesting water melons between our 18 month old rubber trees, one brother-in-law recommends planting coffee bushes- there's an agent near here at Nong Khai who sells wholesale. If anyone knows his address I'd appreciate it- whilst another brother-in-law says unlike the south, it rains far less in Issan( Ban Dung in this case) and it's not suitable to plant coffee. I was wondering if any illustrious members of TV have any experience of coffee growing beneath rubber trees and how it's been.

Yours in appreciation in advance, bannork

Apologies if there's another thread about this topic- coffee shrubs between rubber trees. After harvesting water melons between our 18 month old rubber trees, one brother-in-law recommends planting coffee bushes- there's an agent near here at Nong Khai who sells wholesale. If anyone knows his address I'd appreciate it- whilst another brother-in-law says unlike the south, it rains far less in Issan( Ban Dung in this case) and it's not suitable to plant coffee. I was wondering if any illustrious members of TV have any experience of coffee growing beneath rubber trees and how it's been.

Yours in appreciation in advance, bannork

I'm in the same area, east of Ban Dung.

The wife has been saying she's ordered coffee shrubs to try on a plot of rubber trees. She's been saying it for 2 years and nothing yet so this little project is running on Thai time

If they show up we'll give it a go and see what happens, or maybe not.

BTW cobbler James got banned a while back

On another note, we've finally had significant rainfall so tomorrow is fertilizer spreading for the big trees, missed last falls feeding due to the early dry season. After that start tapping.

Ken

• Like 1

Shit we just sold some kee yang 35 per liko.Sheets were 55 per kilo.OUCH.Mae dee

Oh well at least we had 17 mm of rain last night.

By the way is James coming back?

That requires an apology at least. When it comes to principles, Aussies and Yorkshire folk are as bloody mined as they come.

• Like 1

James is next door.

Ok,well call him over this bloody side then.555

On the price of land.Here in bangsaphan area.Farming land can be as low as 20k per rai bortor 5 with nothing on it and no road at all, up to 200k per rai with good yang on it.

Never ceases to amaze me ,how expensive land in Udon area is,when u look at there rainfall being so low,it's got to be all the farang in the area,.Feel sorry for locals

James is next door.

On the price of land.Here in bangsaphan area.Farming land can be as low as 20k per rai bortor 5 with nothing on it and no road at all, up to 200k per rai with good yang on it.

Never ceases to amaze me ,how expensive land in Udon area is,when u look at there rainfall being so low,it's got to be all the farang in the area,.Feel sorry for locals

BangSaphan? Bloody hell I was up there the end of March. I was helping a mate move from Ranong. If I'd know I would have PMd you.

James is next door.

# Sorry Cobbler, sh*tload of falangs up here it is true, but they aint the ones driving the prices. Purely Thai driven. On the rubber front, quite a lot of deep south Thais who have had enough of the troubles down there (and regular flooding), are investing big money in land parcels up here which already have rubber on them.

# coffee - yes have heard about this, the missus was given free samples from a wholesaler, but again, neither she nor anyone else has any experience. I would suggest try it and give it a go. Not a great deal to lose, money-wise, nor do i doubt it's bad for the trees, unlike tapioca/man-sapalang.

Mike.

James is next door.

BangSaphan? Bloody hell I was up there the end of March. I was helping a mate move from Ranong. If I'd know I would have PMd you.

Next time

James is next door.

# Sorry Cobbler, sh*tload of falangs up here it is true, but they aint the ones driving the prices. Purely Thai driven. On the rubber front, quite a lot of deep south Thais who have had enough of the troubles down there (and regular flooding), are investing big money in land parcels up here which already have rubber on them.

# coffee - yes have heard about this, the missus was given free samples from a wholesaler, but again, neither she nor anyone else has any experience. I would suggest try it and give it a go. Not a great deal to lose, money-wise, nor do i doubt it's bad for the trees, unlike tapioca/man-sapalang.

Mike.

Yes I can understand the reasoning.Fine line with yang.Getting enough rain to make money,then getting rain all the time and having massive trees but too wet to cut.I'm surprised they don't go mare for palm oil.

he is intrested in teak to make a new door rgds russell

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is this for business or for his house?

I heard he was cutting wood but that was a month or 2 ago

Just delivered our first production of this year's season at auction. About 3 weeks worth. Kee Yang, 45.10 baht per kilo, not too shabby a price, was expecting worse. Get weighed and paid out tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now on Mats after a month of Kee Yang. Also she moved our system to 3 on 1 off. 3 dry days/nights and the pissed it down on the day off. How's that for planning? What do you mean it was luck? LOL

• Like 1

Mosha/Steve;

the missus was taught at rubber school if you do 1/3 diameter, to stick with 2 on, 1 off. Something to do with eventually (after several years) running out of panel ie the tree is being cut too often, to heal up by the time you get back to the first panel cut. They are taught that an average season, the panel will be about 25 cms long. 3 on, 1 off will be a longer panel. Ditto if people do 1/2 diameter, stick to 1 on, 1 off.

Regards,

Mike.

• Like 1

Mike judging by the off days due to rain down here. That will never be a problem :D

Friend - "Ive done my homework, and we can tap 9 months of the year.

Mosha - "Brilliant where did that gem come from?" (Adopt sarcastic tone)

Friend - "3 days on 1 off.'

Mosha - "Great, now take 6-8 weeks off for leaf change"

Friend - "OK 7 months."

Mosha - "You are in the wettest province in Thailand, wet season can be 5 months, some months you might get 15 days. you do well to have a 4.5 month season"

A 15 Rai plot and his wife was throwing more food down than the rubber was buying. He pulled the plug and she had to sell,

Exactly.

We should of had 9 nights cutting this past fortnight. Got 5. You could set your watch to when it's rained this past week, not just rain but pis#ed it down. Told the missus, this next fortnight if it looks like night time rain, cut in the morning or afternoon. I do'nt want another 5 night's cutting from 14 days. Ca'nt afford it.

Mike.