Koh Samui Or Jomtien

doingok

So far I haven't even touched the Andaman Sea area or Samui.

so why are you commenting?

Samui is clearly the better beach and sea destination. A lot of couples and families from Europe are the prime group of visitors. It's worldwide known for that. For many even too commercial.

While Patty...well, everyone knows....

Edited by Birdman

So far I haven't even touched the Andaman Sea area or Samui.

so why are you commenting?

Samui is clearly the better beach and sea destination. A lot of couples and families from Europe are the prime group of visitors. It's worldwide known for that. For many even too commercial.

While Patty...well, everyone knows....

I'm commenting because I've been all over Samui and the Pattaya-Jomptien area. There is more to living in an area than just a pretty beach. That is why I recommend someone stay in an area during the "bad" months for a while if you are intending on living there. Only the OP knows what will suit him the most. All we can do is give suggestions. I hear far too many idiots bad mouth Pattaya strictly on hearsay. You can stay entirely OUT of the bar scene if you want to and still enjoy the Pattaya-Jomptien area. If I wanted to pick a pure beach area I would seriously think about the Andaman Sea somewhere near Krabi. No need to have the isolation of living on a small island... even if it DOES seem like paradise on a holiday.

I have a friend who got mugged while on Samui two years ago. But, like most muggings, he was stupid and got drunk. And, he is a guy who wears gold and carries lots of cash with him.

Sounds more like opputunistic theft to me

Crime can happen anywhere, but anyone who lets statistics rule their life should stay home in whatever country they come from.

Fair comment. You see very very little crime in Lamai and I put it down to there only being one Thai Mafia group (family) so there is no factions fighting each other. This means they can get on with their 'job' lol of extorting money. Keeping the place safe and therefore its reputation intact will have a positive impact on money generated. There has been a couple of instances where they have got involved rather than the police and one fella some time back got his laptop (which had been stolen) returned to him by by what he said was a rather shifty looking man. Try not to use Tesco Lotus too much, rather spend your money on local small Thai businesses and the word gets around.

You can get mugged in Koh Samui just as easily as Pattaya. I"ve wandered all over Pattaya and Jomptien at any time of day or night and I've NEVER felt threatened. I have friends who stay there year-round and never been bothered. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it can, but trying to compare the two places is like trying to choose between a cruise holiday on a ship or a restful time at some remote beach resort. As someone already said, try 3 months in each place before making a commitment. I would NEVER make a commitment sight unseen ANYWHERE. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between having a holiday and actually living somewhere.

Frankly, after spending time in both places I think Pattaya offers more for your dollar than Samui, and you are neither isolated nor subjected to whatever the locals want to charge. There is no comparison when it comes to variety of shopping. There is FAR more to Pattaya than just walking street and the sleezy bars off Soi 6.

i didn't what to cause world war 3 on tv,i am sure both place's are great but what i have heard and seen and what we both want from thailand is a beach life, and swimming in the sea. what i have been told from many from here is koh samui has the beaches we are looking for all this.

price's may vary from place to place to, and if we what to go over to Jomptien i am sure it will be cheap enough to do so, and i can see that you are all passionate about where you stay which guess is really nice to.

We just came back from tenerife and someone walked into a shop and chopped a British womens head off for no reason so it can happen anywhere,you have to be careful no matter where you are.WE JUST WANT TO BE NEXT TO A NICE BEACH.OR AND IF YOU KNOW ANY WHOLE COSTUME JEWELLERY PLACES LET ME KNOW.

Cheers doingok

To doingok,

You might also be interested to know that you can get direct daily flights from Samui to U Tapao airport which is a 30 min drive to Jomtien with Bangkok Airways.

check out there website : http://www.bangkokair.com/en/plan-your-trip/flight-schedule.php

You can get mugged in Koh Samui just as easily as Pattaya. I"ve wandered all over Pattaya and Jomptien at any time of day or night and I've NEVER felt threatened. I have friends who stay there year-round and never been bothered. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it can, but trying to compare the two places is like trying to choose between a cruise holiday on a ship or a restful time at some remote beach resort. As someone already said, try 3 months in each place before making a commitment. I would NEVER make a commitment sight unseen ANYWHERE. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between having a holiday and actually living somewhere.

Frankly, after spending time in both places I think Pattaya offers more for your dollar than Samui, and you are neither isolated nor subjected to whatever the locals want to charge. There is no comparison when it comes to variety of shopping. There is FAR more to Pattaya than just walking street and the sleezy bars off Soi 6.

i didn't what to cause world war 3 on tv,i am sure both place's are great but what i have heard and seen and what we both want from thailand is a beach life, and swimming in the sea. what i have been told from many from here is koh samui has the beaches we are looking for all this.

price's may vary from place to place to, and if we what to go over to Jomptien i am sure it will be cheap enough to do so, and i can see that you are all passionate about where you stay which guess is really nice to.

We just came back from tenerife and someone walked into a shop and chopped a British womens head off for no reason so it can happen anywhere,you have to be careful no matter where you are.WE JUST WANT TO BE NEXT TO A NICE BEACH.OR AND IF YOU KNOW ANY WHOLE COSTUME JEWELLERY PLACES LET ME KNOW.

Cheers doingok

To doingok,

You might also be interested to know that you can get direct daily flights from Samui to U Tapao airport which is a 30 min drive to Jomtien with Bangkok Airways.

check out there website : http://www.bangkokai...ht-schedule.php

Thanks for that sotsira is there no ferry a cross as we could just pop over for a couple of days are so?

Edited by doingok

Thanks for that sotsira is there no ferry a cross as we could just pop over for a couple of days are so?

No ferry, only flights as it,s a long distance away, but the flights would only take about 30-40 mins.

The lucky thing is that you can get a flight direct from Samui.

Taking it that you are not a Troll? You met a really nice man on TV? 40,000btfor six months? Price not unrealistic. But tell him you will pay at the end ofthat period.

By the way for myself, I would go to Samui for say 3mnts then on to Jomtien,for the next three.

jb1

This is the post I wanted to get to.

Taking it that you are not a Troll?

This is a baseless subtle accusation and should be considered a deformation ofcharatecter which after reading post regulations would go against posting rules.

Now for the meat of it

40,000k, price not unrealistic but tell him you will pay at the end ofthat

period.

It would appear that the OP has not lived under a rock for his life andunderstands what the world is like. Never mind the OP, I am offended by theshear abject stupidly of this statement.

Then we have the three veg. I take it that you are the very nice Farang? :whistling:

jb1

three veg? well i try to be nice and fair you? was told that there is a ferry over to jomtien? maybe he meant to phuket which ferry takes 1 hour 20 mins and around 300baht?

Edited by doingok

three veg? well i try to be nice and fair you? was told that there is a ferry over to jomtien? maybe he meant to phuket which ferry takes 1 hour 20 mins and around 300baht?

From what i recall their is a ferry that goes back to the mainland, and the other goes to Ko Pganyan.

I think you need to understand the geography here, Samui is in the south west of the Gulf of Thailand whereas

Jomtien is on the other side of the Gulf on the eastern seaboard,

about 1000 miles away.

Phuket on the otherhand is entirely in a different sea altogether and impossible to reach from Samui by ferry.

From what i recall their is a ferry that goes back to the mainland, and the other goes to Ko Pganyan.

I think you need to understand the geography here, Samui is in the south west of the Gulf of Thailand whereas

about 1000 miles away.

Phuket on the otherhand is entirely in a different sea altogether and impossible to reach from Samui by ferry.

found this http://www.samuiwestcoast.de/samui/samui_transport.htm i guess this is a start

about 1000 miles away.

found this http://www.samuiwest...i_transport.htm i guess this is a start

Read this particularly the posts by Mole. ;)

You can get mugged in Koh Samui just as easily as Pattaya

Meaningless. It's just as easy to get mugged in the Bronx as it is in jail.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it can, but trying to compare the two

places is like trying to choose between a cruise holiday on a ship or a restful

time at some remote beach resort.

So which one is it? You compare two places and then say that you cannot compare the two places?

I would NEVER make a commitment sight unseen ANYWHERE. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between having a holiday and actually living somewhere.

I may well get a warning or even a complete ban for this but open your eyes and take the potatos out of your ears. I have been to I guess close to 100 countries around the world and if I had followed your 'rules' I would not be the person I am now. Not thrrowing youself in at the deep end shows laack of courage as well as narrow mindedness

Frankly, after spending time in both places I think Pattaya offers more for your

dollar than Samui

50 Baht for a Chang in a bar. I guess you must be paying 40 or so?

I've been to both the places as well.... I think

1. Koh Samui - beautiful sea (blue ocean) + nice accommodation + various sports and land activities (snorkeling+scuba diving etc.) + easily transport to area near by tuk tuk (taxi) + More of tourists attractions places

2. Jomtien - not as beautiful comparing to that of Koh Samui + accommodations are in wide range to choose + sports activities are there but be aware of scam + transportation to Bangkok city is more easily accessable. You can be here for relaxation but for long term i prefer to be at Koh Samui to enjoy hot summer there.