Koh Samui Or Jomtien

doingok

HI GUYS I HAVE A DILEMMA KOH SAMUI OR JOMTIEN NEVER BEEN TO EITHER KOH SAMUI LOOKS GREAT AND I HAVE SOMEONE THAT IS WILLING TO HELP ME AND WHAT A REALLY NICE GUY HE IS, WHICH I MET THOUGH HERE AND CAN GET ME 6 MONTH STAY FOR 40.000 BAHT.

IN A 1 BEDROOM BUNGALOW SEE ATTACHED. R IGHT DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT JOMTIEN THOUGH IT CLOSER TO BANGKOK AIRPORT AND EASIER TO GET TO. BOTH BEACHES LOOK GREAT FOR SWIMMING, SNORKELING BOTH HAVE NIGHT LIFE THOUGH I THINK SAMUI COULD BE MORE RELAXING.DISCUSS

CHEERS GUYS FOR THE HELP

Edited by doingok

I have lived in both places. Both places have changed dramatically over the past ten years: prices and crime have gone up, among other things. There is far more to do in Jomtien because it is next to Pattaya. Koh Samui is much less busy but does have a nightlife (small scale Pattaya-like bar scene). The bungalow in the pic looks good for the price (in Koh Samui). Of course, Koh Samui is an island. I prefer Jomtien mainly because of its access to Pattaya, but IMHO, Jomtien has really been ruined over the past ten years. When I say "ruined" I do not mean it is a bad place to be now; rather, I mean it used to be much better. There are worse places to be. Why not come here and go to Jomtien, stay a week, then go to Koh Samui, stay a week and make a decision.

They are a completely different experience, but I think the beaches are nicer in Koh Samui if you are looking for swimming. However, you can easily take a ferry from Pattaya to Koh Larn for the day and it only costs 40 baht return. I think Koh Larn is a better deal than most of the other beaches near tourist centers. And, for a day trip, 30 km south of Jomptien is a beautiful tropical beach that you can visit on a motorscooter. I've got a thread going about what I love about Thailand and in the future I will be mentioning many other places I like to visit.

i have lived both areas for more than 5 years

id stay in jountuim , especially if your going in the next 6 months, ie june/July- December .Samui is bad in low season , that place has its own weather system where its seems to rain 50% of the time..... and when it rains samui is in lock down . Its just had some of the worst rain ever , all of that area has . and don't forget its about 30-100% more expensive than jountium for Beer, girls , taxis and food.

Taking it that you are not a Troll? You met a really nice man on TV? 40,000bt for six months? Price not unrealistic. But tell him you will pay at the end of that period.

By the way for myself, I would go to Samui for say 3mnts then on to Jomtien, for the next three. :ph34r:

jb1

If the Op is a troll, he is a very buy one, as he has another thread going on more or less the same subject in which he asked the visa question and the cost of living.

OP, maybe you should have included the info that you will be intending to spend around 1,000GBP for two people per month?

Maybe the above posters who have lived in the areas and know the ropes will be able to advise if its do-able.

I dont know as much, but two things i will say:

1. Be VERY carefull about who you trust on the net.

2. Be VERY VERY careful about foriegners in Thailand offering help and unbeatable deals.

I'd be a little scared to have both of these things happening at once :unsure:

The suggestion from the other poster advising not to pay anything in advance is a bit unlikely as would'nt think anyone anywhere will give free reign on a place without any security downpayment whatsoever.

Edited by ozzieovaseas

If the Op is a troll, he is a very buy one, as he has another thread going on more or less the same subject in which he asked the visa question and the cost of living.

OP, maybe you should have included the info that you will be intending to spend around 1,000GBP for two people per month?

Maybe the above posters who have lived in the areas and know the ropes will be able to advise if its do-able.

2. Be VERY VERY careful about foriegners in Thailand offering help and unbeatable deals.

The suggestion from the other poster advising not to pay anything in advance is a bit unlikely as would'nt think anyone anywhere will give free reign on a place without any security downpayment whatsoever.

Following on from this there's no need to set a minimum of six months on a rental. Simply take a rental for two months paying a months deposit up front and see how it goes.....if you want to move much easier.

Also I wouldn't rent a place I haven't had a good look at myself....to do so before arriving is plain silly as on Samui there would be dozens of places you could move straight into...I assume its same in Jomtien.

If your staying for a few months then Jomtien has more to offer than Samui.

Although Samui is a nice place you'll be limited being stuck on an island.

Also if your staying between June to Nov then the weather is much better in Jomtien too.

With Pattaya only a 10 min drive away you'll have plenty to see and do whereas Samui could get

boring after a few weeks.

If your staying for a few months then Jomtien has more to offer than Samui.

Although Samui is a nice place you'll be limited being stuck on an island.

Also if your staying between June to Nov then the weather is much better in Jomtien too.

With Pattaya only a 10 min drive away you'll have plenty to see and do whereas Samui could get

boring after a few weeks.

Another amateur weather forecaster. :lol:

Life is what you make of it, right? If you want to relax and have the advantage of going to a beach where you can swim and walk around, then Koh Samui is the place to go.

Sure JomJom offers lots of things to do, but you might as well head to Brighton or Wildwood or Acapulco. Koh Samui lets you have access to western advantages but it also allows access to some uniquely Thai things. The point of coming to Thailand is to have a pleasant change right? What's the point of living in a high density western enclave? That's my biased view. Whether its JomJom or Samui, crime is crime, touts are everywhere and obnoxious hookers infest most bars, but a bit of common sense serves one well.

One of my favourite spots on Koh Samui is its airport. I'm sure this will bring out the sarcastic comments, but its the most beautiful airport in Thailand. A delay there is like a stay in the lobby of an upscale hotel. It makes the Phuket airport seem like a visit back in time.

Edited by geriatrickid

Life is what you make of it, right? If you want to relax and have the advantage of going to a beach where you can swim and walk around, then Koh Samui is the place to go.

Sure JomJom offers lots of things to do, but you might as well head to Brighton or Wildwood or Acapulco. Koh Samui lets you have access to western advantages but it also allows access to some uniquely Thai things. The point of coming to Thailand is to have a pleasant change right? What's the point of living in a high density western enclave? That's my biased view. Whether its JomJom or Samui, crime is crime, touts are everywhere and obnoxious hookers infest most bars, but a bit of common sense serves one well.

One of my favourite spots on Koh Samui is its airport. I'm sure this will bring out the sarcastic comments, but its the most beautiful airport in Thailand. A delay there is like a stay in the lobby of an upscale hotel. It makes the Phuket airport seem like a visit back in time.

I raher like the Umphang terminal myself, scary approach but the waterfalls are well worth the flight.

post-21996-0-12600400-1305346540_thumb.j

whats this troll thing anyway? right i am going to koh samui as we love the beaches and to swim and so on,i mid September to march.booked flights.

1.I wouldn't pay anything up front though i would expert to pay something?

2.I have someone willing to help me who is a member on here tho of course sounds nice and will not saying nothing more than that

3.as i have said nothing fancy but clean and nice will do us close to a beach if possible

4. not interested in bar girl what so ever, happily married though very interested in the bar for beer lol

5. been ordered a place but still looking to keep our options open.

6. might be a good idea to stay in a cheap place for a week and have a good look around for the right place at the right price

any more help would be great.

cheers guys

I have lived in both places. Both places have changed dramatically over the past ten years: prices and crime have gone up, among other things. There is far more to do in Jomtien because it is next to Pattaya. Koh Samui is much less busy but does have a nightlife (small scale Pattaya-like bar scene). The bungalow in the pic looks good for the price (in Koh Samui). Of course, Koh Samui is an island. I prefer Jomtien mainly because of its access to Pattaya, but IMHO, Jomtien has really been ruined over the past ten years. When I say "ruined" I do not mean it is a bad place to be now; rather, I mean it used to be much better. There are worse places to be. Why not come here and go to Jomtien, stay a week, then go to Koh Samui, stay a week and make a decision.

Both places have changed dramatically over the past ten years

Basis for this assertion with regard to Koh Samui is?

prices and crime have gone up

Basis? Bottle of Chang is the same as it was 12 years ago

I prefer Jomtien mainly because of its access to Pattaya

I presume you don't mean the same Pattaya where people get mugged on the street?

i have lived both areas for more than 5 years

id stay in jountuim , especially if your going in the next 6 months, ie june/July- December .Samui is bad in low season , that place has its own weather system where its seems to rain 50% of the time..... and when it rains samui is in lock down . Its just had some of the worst rain ever , all of that area has . and don't forget its about 30-100% more expensive than jountium for Beer, girls , taxis and food.

Last season was heavy rain, season before there wad not a drop. 50 Baht for a Chang in a bar? 60 for a kilo of pork loin. Don't know where you shop!

Taking it that you are not a Troll? You met a really nice man on TV? 40,000btfor six months? Price not unrealistic. But tell him you will pay at the end ofthat period.

By the way for myself, I would go to Samui for say 3mnts then on to Jomtien,for the next three.

jb1

This is the post I wanted to get to.

Taking it that you are not a Troll?

This is a baseless subtle accusation and should be considered a deformation ofcharatecter which after reading post regulations would go against posting rules.

Now for the meat of it

40,000k, price not unrealistic but tell him you will pay at the end ofthat

period.

It would appear that the OP has not lived under a rock for his life andunderstands what the world is like. Never mind the OP, I am offended by theshear abject stupidly of this statement.

I presume you don't mean the same Pattaya where people get mugged on the street?

You can get mugged in Koh Samui just as easily as Pattaya. I"ve wandered all over Pattaya and Jomptien at any time of day or night and I've NEVER felt threatened. I have friends who stay there year-round and never been bothered. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it can, but trying to compare the two places is like trying to choose between a cruise holiday on a ship or a restful time at some remote beach resort. As someone already said, try 3 months in each place before making a commitment. I would NEVER make a commitment sight unseen ANYWHERE. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between having a holiday and actually living somewhere.

Frankly, after spending time in both places I think Pattaya offers more for your dollar than Samui, and you are neither isolated nor subjected to whatever the locals want to charge. There is no comparison when it comes to variety of shopping. There is FAR more to Pattaya than just walking street and the sleezy bars off Soi 6.

This is a very hard post to remark on due to some of the remarks I agree full with while other I do not. If I had not done 1 & 2 then I would not be the person I am and not seen the things I have. I also live in a house on Koh Samui for somewhere around 3000 UK and very well I might add.

You can get mugged in Koh Samui just as easily as Pattaya

Link? In 12 years I have not seen nor heard of anyone being mugged in Lamai.

I have a friend who got mugged while on Samui two years ago. But, like most muggings, he was stupid and got drunk. And, he is a guy who wears gold and carries lots of cash with him. Most muggings are not even reported unless passports or valuble ducuments are stolen. Crime can happen anywhere, but anyone who lets statistics rule their life should stay home in whatever country they come from. Do something stupid and you have to accept the consequences. I love all of Thailand, but I sure couldn't tell anyone where they should CHOOSE to live. All I can do is point out some options and let them decide. If you love Samui then great, I am happy for you. But, it would drive me crazy if I had to live there for more than 6 months. I like the freedom to go anywhere I want at any time I want. Islands tend to restrict you. I know, I live on a large Island in Canada and at times I feel restricted.

You can get mugged in Koh Samui just as easily as Pattaya. I"ve wandered all over Pattaya and Jomptien at any time of day or night and I've NEVER felt threatened. I have friends who stay there year-round and never been bothered. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it can, but trying to compare the two places is like trying to choose between a cruise holiday on a ship or a restful time at some remote beach resort. As someone already said, try 3 months in each place before making a commitment. I would NEVER make a commitment sight unseen ANYWHERE. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between having a holiday and actually living somewhere.

Frankly, after spending time in both places I think Pattaya offers more for your dollar than Samui, and you are neither isolated nor subjected to whatever the locals want to charge. There is no comparison when it comes to variety of shopping. There is FAR more to Pattaya than just walking street and the sleezy bars off Soi 6.

i didn't what to cause world war 3 on tv,i am sure both place's are great but what i have heard and seen and what we both want from thailand is a beach life, and swimming in the sea. what i have been told from many from here is koh samui has the beaches we are looking for all this.

price's may vary from place to place to, and if we what to go over to Jomptien i am sure it will be cheap enough to do so, and i can see that you are all passionate about where you stay which guess is really nice to.

We just came back from tenerife and someone walked into a shop and chopped a British womens head off for no reason so it can happen anywhere,you have to be careful no matter where you are.WE JUST WANT TO BE NEXT TO A NICE BEACH.OR AND IF YOU KNOW ANY WHOLE COSTUME JEWELLERY PLACES LET ME KNOW.

Cheers doingok

Yours was a perfectly acceptible question, doingok. And, you didn't start any world war. All we can do is point out the differences and let you choose. If you look at my topic of what I love about Thailand you'll notice pictures of the varous beaches available near Jomptien.. So far I haven't even touched the Andaman Sea area or Samui.