Thai Democrats Most Wary Of Poll Rules

webfact

Democrats most wary of poll rules

By Piyanart Srivalo

Among political parties contesting the upcoming election on July 3, the Democrats seemed to show more than other parties their concern about acts that "can and cannot be taken" during the election campaign.

Cabinet has discussed the issues four times since last month (April 20 until May 10). Democrat leader and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva sent a letter to seek advice from the Election Commission (EC) on the issues last week, and yesterday met with poll organisers - but the EC could not give absolute answers to all of Abhisit's concerns. The organisation merely gave him some guidelines.

In fact, politicians' concern for these rules is not surprising as most ministers from coalition parties are new faces and the Democrats have almost a decade of more experience compared to the opposition.

Apart from that, the only person who can offer advice in the Cabinet meeting is the secretary-general of the Council of State. But he can only give suggestions - what they should or should not do - and cannot offer decisive opinions.

In order to avoid a legal fallout, the Cabinet agreed it would not do anything to violate the laws and would allow bureaucrats to handle all activities likely to be questionable.

Although it's good that the government is trying to protect itself from violating the laws, there are still some concerns that appear nitpicking, such as

- Can the PM have lunch or dinner or coffee if he attends a seminar or dinner talk

- Can the PM visit areas affected by floods or border clashes

- Can the PM and ministers attend a wedding party, an award ceremony or blessing ceremony

"Honestly, I'm too afraid to accept any event invitation - no matter if it's policy announcement, or sharing my vision, or being with agencies that invite other political party leaders. I fear violating the laws by using the PM's office hours or accepting any gift. Moreover, if I - as Democrat leader- do not join an event to share a vision, the party cannot send any minister to join either. In my view, (being PM caretaker) is not to our advantage but disadvantage," Abhisit said yesterday.

However, some might wonder why the Democrats, full of legal experts, are so concerned that they might violate the laws.

Perhaps, the Democrats just simply want the EC to confirm that the raised actions would not be illegal.

If so, it would somehow be permission for the party to do what it wants.

The guidelines:

Following the meeting between the EC and the PM, his secretary-general Anchalee Wanich Theppabutr revealed the following guidelines on what might be seen as Abhisit's perks during campaigning:

- A ban on campaigning in office hours. The EC has advised the prime minister to take leave of absence if he has to make campaign appearances during his work period.

- A ban on using government-issued bullet-proof vehicles during campaigning. The prime minister and Cabinet members could, however, be provided with protection by security details while on the campaign trail.

- The prime minister is obligated to uphold Article 182 of the Constitution. This charter provision prescribes that incumbent office-holders cannot take advantage of state personnel and resources to impact on the election.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-12

Even I do not understand my own countries legalities now concerning electorial concerns for ALL parties involved.

It seems now that they all are walk on the egg shell.

I will try and find out why politicians are NOT allowed to use the protective vehicles durring these times and actually just after someone was shot and it was declaired Politically motivated.

PM switching car

By The Nation

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Thursday arrived for work at Government House by his own car in lieu of government-issued bullet proof vehicle.

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said the security protection standard was not compromised although he sidestepped a question whether the prime minister's car was armoured.

The car change happened a day after the Election Commission advised against using the government-issued vehicle in the campaign trial.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-12

Perhaps, the Democrats just simply want the EC to confirm that the raised actions would not be illegal.

Any clarification would help ALL parties who will participate in the coming elections :)

Any clarification would help ALL parties who will participate in the coming elections :)

I agree, I mean we wouldn't want something to happen like an election being annulled because the voting booths were facing the wrong way or because of the judges interpretation of the 45 day rule, for example, but that couldn't happen here, surely?.

I agree, I mean we wouldn't want something to happen like an election being annulled because the voting booths were facing the wrong way or because of the judges interpretation of the 45 day rule, for example, but that couldn't happen here, surely?.

Mishaps in the past show the need for clarifications. Those will be beneficial to ALL. Let the campaigns begin and don't forget: stock up on beer before election day. Makes it much more enjoyable to watch the fun :)