Advice On Buying A Used Bicycle In Chiang Mai

hutches

I'm looking for a large used bicycle (I'm 180cm) and heard about a used bike market just off Chiang Puak Road but have no idea where it is. Does anyone know about it or know where else I can buy a cheap used bike? I don't care what kind of bike it is, I just want a basket and a good size and working brakes and would like to spend less than 2000Baht. I've been looking on CityLife for a long time (not finding anything) and rental shops sell for 2500B so I might just do that if I can't find something else soon. Thanks!

For just a little more than that you could pick up a new bike at the LA bicycle dealers on the moat, near the corner of Sri Phum Rd and Moon Muang rd. Or just google LA bicycles Chiang Mai for the map. I did hear once they may even buy the bike back when you want to go home, so if you're lucky perhaps a second hand one is waiting there already. Good luck, and stay safe on the roads.

Used bikes are ridiculously overpriced, better buy a new one.

@ road 118 (to Doi Saket, Chiang Rai) just 50 meters before the Inner Ringroad on the left side, few townhouses after the huge yellow DUNLOP sign they have fukking cool bikes !

I don't understand the plethora of farangs posting on TV looking for used bicycles for less than a Thai would spend on one. Why are some of you people so cheap? Just head over the place mentioned by another poster that sells L.A. brand bicycles. You can buy a great bike for about 4000-5000 on sale. I bought mine there about 2 years ago and they have never once charged me for service. The money I have saved on service more than makes up for what it would have cost for a cheap junker and 2 years of service.

There was one farang on here recently that went to San Patong and back and a few other places to try and save 500 Baht. Wake up people...this is not the Thailand that it once was. Prices are up on everything. How much in gas and how many hours did one poster spend to try and save 500 Baht???

I just noticed the OP is looking to save 500 too!

BTW what's with all the missionaries I see hauling their flock of blonde-haired kids around in one of those side-cars attached to an old motorcycle? None of them are wearing a helmet of course. Really poor Thais do that.

Edited by elektrified

Wow, impressed...a post on used bicycles just turned into a post on motorcycle side cars and missionaries...yikes...

I obviously will entertain the thought of a used bike costing you more over time...though the same could be true of used cars. I heard used bike market and thought it could be something cool to check out sometime for the heck of it!

I don't know of any used bike markets in CM but if head south out of the city on the Hangdong road past Tesco but 100m before Big C and the junction. There is a small shop normally packed with second hand japanese bikes. Its close to the pedestrian foot bridge and the turn off for the Lanna school/ Grand View estate.

The bikes are normally all over the place being rebuilt after arriving off a container. They are all used with some unusual designs amongst them. If you know anything about bikes you may be able to spot a better one. Even though these bikes are old and second hand the quality is better than thai made bikes. They go for about 1500 baht but i was not buying and i am sure you can bargain the price down.

For that matter there is a Japanese guy in Moobaan Pimuk 1 I believe (I could be wrong about the moobaan name), its near the entrance to Laguna Phase 2 (back road) that sells reconditioned Japanese bikes. But as I recall, his prices started at around 3500 or 3800 on up. He is also very difficult to communicate with unless you speak Japanese. There was a Thai guy helper there too but he could not communicate with the guy either. I looked at some of his bikes and didn't like them. I spent about 1200 more and got a great brand-new bike made by L.A. Bicycle.

I don't know of anyone selling used bikes on Chiang Puak Road, but there are a couple of shops selling used bikes nearby.

Go to the northeast corner of the moat and go north from there. After a half km or so there are a bunch of shops on the left selling used clothing and other cheap stuff. Two of those shops have used bikes.

None of them were big sizes. Most were junk. The rest were garbage. All were overpriced. Good luck.

I don't know of anyone selling used bikes on Chiang Puak Road, but there are a couple of shops selling used bikes nearby.

Go to the northeast corner of the moat and go north from there. After a half km or so there are a bunch of shops on the left selling used clothing and other cheap stuff. Two of those shops have used bikes.

None of them were big sizes. Most were junk. The rest were garbage. All were overpriced. Good luck.

El Jeffe may sell you one of his bikes!! lol (Good morning Jeff)

I don't know of any used bike markets in CM but if head south out of the city on the Hangdong road past Tesco but 100m before Big C and the junction. There is a small shop normally packed with second hand japanese bikes. Its close to the pedestrian foot bridge and the turn off for the Lanna school/ Grand View estate.

The bikes are normally all over the place being rebuilt after arriving off a container. They are all used with some unusual designs amongst them. If you know anything about bikes you may be able to spot a better one. Even though these bikes are old and second hand the quality is better than thai made bikes. They go for about 1500 baht but i was not buying and i am sure you can bargain the price down.

Good advice. There's another spot east of Prince Royal's College, on Rattanakosin Rd, between the first 3-way intersection that is closed for the Saturday market and the next 3-way, across from the new football training field. The imported used bikes are much better quality than what you might buy new for 4K in place like Tesco, especially if you're not looking for anything too fancy. Good luck!

El Jeffe may sell you one of his bikes!! lol (Good morning Jeff)

My bikes are all for sale. I have no emotional attachment to them. Unfortunately the OP is looking to spend under 2000 baht. He'll have to add a zero if he wants one of mine. And I don't have much of a selection -- I only have 3 bikes. Last time I looked, Ian had over 20.

There was one farang on here recently that went to San Patong and back and a few other places to try and save 500 Baht. Wake up people...this is not the Thailand that it once was. Prices are up on everything. How much in gas and how many hours did one poster spend to try and save 500 Baht???

I was the farang that made the post asking about where to find a cheap bicycle. Someone mentioned that there were some cheap bikes down there and I entertained the thought of checking it out. I found a bicycle elsewhere, but there's no harm in ASKING where cheaper bicycles might be and there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with entertaining the idea of an adventure to San Patong.

My husband and I wound up with decent new bicycles for 2,750 each. They come with back seats and pegs and nice big baskets. OP can PM me if interested on where I went. We had to search a little harder because we're pretty tall. A lot of the bicycles we tried out were too short for us. If you're the same height as most Thais, it seems easy to find a new bicycle for 1,500.

• 5 months later...

I was the farang that made the post asking about where to find a cheap bicycle. Someone mentioned that there were some cheap bikes down there and I entertained the thought of checking it out. I found a bicycle elsewhere, but there's no harm in ASKING where cheaper bicycles might be and there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with entertaining the idea of an adventure to San Patong.

My husband and I wound up with decent new bicycles for 2,750 each. They come with back seats and pegs and nice big baskets. OP can PM me if interested on where I went. We had to search a little harder because we're pretty tall. A lot of the bicycles we tried out were too short for us. If you're the same height as most Thais, it seems easy to find a new bicycle for 1,500.

Do you mind telling me where you managed to finally buy the bicycles...appreciated

For that matter there is a Japanese guy in Moobaan Pimuk 1 I believe (I could be wrong about the moobaan name), its near the entrance to Laguna Phase 2 (back road) that sells reconditioned Japanese bikes. But as I recall, his prices started at around 3500 or 3800 on up. He is also very difficult to communicate with unless you speak Japanese. There was a Thai guy helper there too but he could not communicate with the guy either. I looked at some of his bikes and didn't like them. I spent about 1200 more and got a great brand-new bike made by L.A. Bicycle.

I went there and not one of the reconditioned bike had any lube on the chains, some which were rusty. One I like for my kid was selling for 15,000 bht and was nothing special, also no one communicated well or seemed to want to even try

There is a Thai shop selling rather good used bikes at reasonable prices on the inside of the khlong, at the corner opposite the S&P, which itself is beside Icon Plaza/Ahmorn Electrics. Beside him is a shop that can reproduce even the most difficult of keys.

I am riding a bike that I bought used last week. Before I arrived I did a search and found 4 different bikes being sold. Maybe I was ridiculous in thinking I could but there you go.

But I paid a lot more than 2,000.