Thaivisa In Singapore

There is no doubt that the staff at the Thai embassy in Singapore is plain rude to say the least. Although the Muslim lady is not so bad, but only as long as the Chinese-Thai lady - who appears to be her superior - is not watching, in which case she also conforms to her colleague's bulldog style. I would disagree with the comments describing their behaviour as "business-like", because if anyone wanted to do business with that attitude they would go bankrupt in no time. They also make a point of being unhelpful and not giving information that would save you time or another trip, even if it would cost them nothing to do that.

That said, I got my non-immigrant without problems, but only because I made 3 informative trips before I actually applied, and I always responded with a broad smile to their curt and abrupt manners. I figured they'd be the tough kind the first time I saw them, and I happened to have time and be in a good mood, so I didn't mind. But I wouldn't repeat the experience if I was in a rush.

I know Alfred(o) personally, we are friends and when he is in my village we regularly spent some time together.

We have never talked about this: I think you go back to Austria from time to time. Why don't you come back then with a Non Imm O multiple entry for one year? If it's true when out and in just before the 12 months is over you get another 3 months, so 15 months in total. No worries for 15 months!

Embassies are different, not logical as they are all Thai embassies and one could expect standard rules, but that is not the case.

As a general rule everybody has to be prepared and have the required documentation available. To know what exactly a phone call is usually enough.

If you don't have the documents they require you cannot blame the embassy personnel for following the rules and deny a visa.

Secondly it has been proven a major advantage to take your wife/GF with you, in this case maybe even one of the kids. I remember my first retirement visa, kind of tensed I was, took my wife with me, officer talked a lot to her and only asked me if I was happy with her. Visa 5 minutes later.

It might not always work that easy but having a Thai national wife/GF with you can make a world of difference.

Good luck next time Alfred!

Joe

What advantage, I didn't know having a Thai wife was a requirement for a retirement visa. I would asume if you are requesting a marriage visa it might help to have her present or it may be required. Other than the line jumping visa agents at bangkok immigration my request for retirement extension of stay sailed thru with all of the proper forms and required documentation I brought a letter posted to my address for proof but it was not asked for.

Singapore has been reported many times on this forum as a problem why would anyone go there expecting good service, I know cows will fly some day.

What gets me is the gross indictment of the entire system when someone has a bad experience at a Embassy know for bad service. Yes people will have bad service even at known good providers, staff do have bad hair days, hell their only human. Enough of my rant.

Having two children myself I really am attached by Alfredo's story , and I

totally agree with lopburi that the Op applied for the proper visa , he wants to extend his stay in Thailand to take care of his children .

And exactly there lays the problem we foreigners have while being in Thailand , many always say we should always consider ourselves as guests etc , maybe we are , but at least for those who have their dna flooding in Thai citizens , shouldn't it be made easier for those to stay indefinitely as they and their children choose , Thailand is way of the curve on this one , and really is time to make a big change in immigration law in my opinion in these kind of unwillingness everything foreign , things look still far off .

Good luck to the Op , hope things will get easier and that your children can enjoy your company as long as your life may be .

Unfortunate though it may be, you know in advance that when you have children with a Thai woman in Thailand as a tourist or retiree you are still always going to be a temporary resident, liable to sudden changes in rules and whims of immigration and consular officials. The officials don't see you as making a significant contribution to the country, compared to foreigners who work and pay tax here, and probably take the view that you can always take your kids to live in your own country, if you don't like their rules. They don't care whether it is fair or not and they certainly don't want your DNA in their country, so it is better to walk into this situation with eyes open. Otherwise condoms are freely available.

Considering for those setting the rules , if made easier I'm pretty sure many of those 'unwanted' foreigners as you put it can and will make a significant contribution to the country , willingly . Btw I don't blame officials or immigration officers at all , they are just doing their job , but policy makers tell them what to do , the officers I or my wife have spoken to , are flubbergasted of the fact there is almost no way to have some rights opposed to what many get in return in the West , although that is getting harder too these days , and they are significant ranking officials I have spoken to , in provincial and police levels , nothing to do about it until the attitude changes , which is hard to turn .

Not that I myself am in need of anything , nor am I complaining , just an observation what I stated , I'm not crying out loud because of it .

And the frase you state about condoms is an insult to all who have half- babies born in Thailand who's mother or father is Thai ! Maybe you think you know all that , but you can't take away the fact those children should have the right their foreign parent could stay with them indefinitely , thats good for them and Thailand .

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

Obviously Arkady's post was a bit tongue in cheek, but his advice is honest and good, though sad to hear.

As for the poster who regretted not asking for the clerks superior at this embassy, let me attempt to provide some comfort

by saying there is absolutely no need to regret that. I know because I visited this embassy myself around the same time, for my first and only time, and asked for the superior.

I thank all posters for the postings and sharing their experiences. Some quotes are also helpful.

-Arkadia- -Use Condoms?

Ok, but if, I like and love my GF and she wants to get a Baby and I do not want to make an operation to get steril, what can I do?

Take Condoms for years?

If a woman wants to get pregnant she will.

Was not my idea.

-Sanuk Joe-

Possibility to get Non Immigrant O with child is just since end if 2009 in effect.

The last two years since than, I was greedy, Touristvisa had been free of charge, Non Immigrant O did cost and is it sure that I would have got one?

Maybe one or two entrys? But a one year multiple, sure?

Anyway, next time I will be better prepaired.

Just back from Singapore, they gave me 90 days permission to stay at entry, same Malaysia, no Visa required.

And I think, I can make that entry several times.

Cambodia, just pay to an agent-legally! 50 Dollar a month or 220? for 6 month or 330-350 for a year stay, no hassle and no questiones asked without leaving the country, even without moving.

Why in Thailand so difficult!?

Being married to a Thai and being single again with children of Thai Nationality is viewed different by Thai Immigration.

I have been married 3 times with 6 children.

While I was married: No problem Immigrant "O" Visa anywhere was granted, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, etc.

When I was on the single list regardless of the number of children I had it was a "NO" everywhere. You need a valid Marriage Certificate to get the Visa.

I also noticed that every time they required a letter from my current wife stating that we were still married and living together. If I had no letter they would clal her and ask her a series of questions and then she had to fax a ltter to that effect.

It is not a new law it has been like that for the last ....well I've been there in and out 30 yeras...

Married No problem... smiles Visa granted...

Single with Thai kids.... NO WAY.... Tourist Visa or go and get married again!

GF does not qualify, you can get many of these anywhere in Thailand.

Edited by jboras

There should be no problem getting a non immigrant O visa on basis of having a Thai child. But it will be single entry and then if you intend to support/live with child you can extend your stay at Immigration inside Thailand with the same financial proof as those married. Just as inside Thailand you can obtain a 60 day extension of stay for both marriage and child reasons.

Anyone know if the Penang, Malaysia Consulate would be an easier, more friendly & willing option to Singapore?

(I'll be in a similar position next month.....where to go/child/etc).

Seems best to avoid Singapore then?

I am with guzzi850m2 and would definitely go back to Singapore.

I have had 3 visas from Singapore and I would call the ladies attitude 'business like' yes but not in a negative way.

I believe they stick to the rules and if you have your paper work in order, then everything should be OK. It only takes a phone call to them to find out what is required if your situation is unusual.

I did need to show a plane ticket into Thailand, but not out of Thailand, or the equivalent in cash, which I have never been asked for at other embassies but that was no big deal.

On my visits the waiting times were short. Compared to Vietiane where once I got there at 9:50am and they had already closed the gates because of too many people and I had to go back the next day.

I don't think Singapore needs to be avoided, just call them first if you have any doubts about what is required.

I personally think Vientiane is the better place to go to. Even Sawan Nakhet (near Mukdahan) seems to be a better place.

You'll have to be there on time before eight am and your visa will be ready the next day around one pm. Good luck!! :jap:

Thanks RicePudding & sirchai. (New to this forum: what's guzzi850m2, RicePudding? Seems to be a profile of you. have to make a profile under another code? How?)

Hope this helps Alfredo too.

When's the last time anyone went to Vientiane for a 1 year multiple O?, and "better", sirchai - can you explain why so, my friend?

[7 years with work permit in Thailand, now looks to be not being renewed (still waitinf on answer), so after applying for/getting the O visa - as at Hull pre-2004]. Would rather not make the

long trip back to UK. Have checked Hull site, and very useful, and downloaded much info. Info is same Singapore, Vientane, Penang require? Or there's variations in requirements

(wherever one goes)? [My 23 daughter lives in Thailand, not with me, and separated (not divorced from her mother). Still subsidise my daughter (not educationally now): would the

Consulate/Embassy require a letter from her re such?

Thanks all. And good luck Alfredo.

Blackcat Ray.

What advantage, I didn't know having a Thai wife was a requirement for a retirement visa. I would asume if you are requesting a marriage visa it might help to have her present or it may be required. Other than the line jumping visa agents at bangkok immigration my request for retirement extension of stay sailed thru with all of the proper forms and required documentation I brought a letter posted to my address for proof but it was not asked for.

Singapore has been reported many times on this forum as a problem why would anyone go there expecting good service, I know cows will fly some day.

What gets me is the gross indictment of the entire system when someone has a bad experience at a Embassy know for bad service. Yes people will have bad service even at known good providers, staff do have bad hair days, hell their only human. Enough of my rant.

Reading seems not to be your best feature!

I didn't write taking your TW/TG with you is a requirement for retirement visa, I wrote it can be an advantage to have her with you. In my case it has been an advantage and although not required the officer took a copy of her ID and blue house book and all went smoothly. For every visit to either Immigration or Embassy I have always taken as much documentation with me as possible, just in case an officer asks for more than before. I always take copy ID wife, copy blue house book, photo of my house, copy of my first retirement visa, etc.

Better be prepared as good as possible, prepared for the worst scenario!

Joe

Reading seems not to be your best feature!

I didn't write taking your TW/TG with you is a requirement for retirement visa, I wrote it can be an advantage to have her with you. In my case it has been an advantage and although not required the officer took a copy of her ID and blue house book and all went smoothly. For every visit to either Immigration or Embassy I have always taken as much documentation with me as possible, just in case an officer asks for more than before. I always take copy ID wife, copy blue house book, photo of my house, copy of my first retirement visa, etc.

Better be prepared as good as possible, prepared for the worst scenario!

Joe

I still donot see that there is an advantage to taking your Thai wife with you. Try it sometime without her and see what happens. Of the extra documentation you take what have they asked you for. Please donot get me wrong everybody goes at this process different . I take the bare min. The forms and documents required and one or two pieces of support one piece of mail for address and finicial support of letter from Embassy. I just donot see any need to burden myself with stuff that may not be requested. Good luck on what works for you.

To all posters who posted with positive and informative responds to this thread, or let us read their experiences, thank you.

ALFREDO, good luck to you on any future visa request. Hope they go smoother

Edited by moe666

• 6 months later...

I am surprised by that. The last 2 years I have renewed my marriage non-O multi visa there and no problems what so ever. The Muslim woman at the counter have always been very friendly and business like.

I am going there in 2 month time for renewal again.

I agree. Have always had nothing but friendly service from the Muslim woman you mentioned.

Did you succeed this year with your visa? Have heard mixed reports.

• 2 months later...

I must say, I saw no MUSLIM looking woman around the office. One a bit Pum Pui lady was at the entrance counter and a young, more skinny lady was behind the window where you apply for the Visas.

Nobody looked, as he was a Muslim to me.wai.gif