International Ems

mobile69

Has anybody used this service to send packages overseas, & have they been able to track it all the way to the destination? I've used registered airmail before, but have found out from the post office that they don't scan the bar code after the initial scan at the counter. So if you type in the registered code on Thailandpost website, all you are shown is the date & time they accepted the package.

Yes and no. Used EMS many times but have the same problem as you on their website - it's not updated with the scans of the parcel leaving the country. However, by phoning them you can find this out.

Once the parcel leaves Thailand the tracking number is lost. You cannot use the tracking number of the destination country because there isn't one...you only have the EMS one, and once Parcelforce take control at the destination airport (as with UK) they don't record the EMS tracking number. Hence....lost and delayed parcels and no comeback.

It's happened to me twice in about 100 parcels. Twice too many, and I think both times were when it arrived in the UK. Bastard postal workers :o

Yes and no.  Used EMS many times but have the same problem as you on their website - it's not updated with the scans of the parcel leaving the country.  However, by phoning them you can find this out.

Once the parcel leaves Thailand the tracking number is lost.  You cannot use the tracking number of the destination country because there isn't one...you only have the EMS one, and once Parcelforce take control at the destination airport (as with UK) they don't record the EMS tracking number.  Hence....lost and delayed parcels and no comeback.

It's happened to me twice in about 100 parcels. Twice too many, and I think both times were when it arrived in the UK.  Bastard postal workers  :o

Anyone know if this same problem with tracking occurs in US? Seems pointless to spend the extra on EMS if all you're doing is highlighting the parcel as "valuable" to overseas postal workers.

This seems a UK specific problem! We lost a lot of registered letters to UK, but not to other countries.

Yes and no.  Used EMS many times but have the same problem as you on their website - it's not updated with the scans of the parcel leaving the country.  However, by phoning them you can find this out.

Once the parcel leaves Thailand the tracking number is lost.  You cannot use the tracking number of the destination country because there isn't one...you only have the EMS one, and once Parcelforce take control at the destination airport (as with UK) they don't record the EMS tracking number.  Hence....lost and delayed parcels and no comeback.

It's happened to me twice in about 100 parcels. Twice too many, and I think both times were when it arrived in the UK.  Bastard postal workers  :o

Yep, we're past that point. The track and trace thing doesn't actually work very well even while it's in Thailand, and doesn't operate at all once outside Thailand.

EMS is a trade-off....about the same price as Fed-Ex etc., takes a reliable 4 days to arrive, no red tape and hassle either end, but untrackable. I'd say good with big boxes but rubbish with documents and valuables. I still prefer it over Fed-Ex and the likes though.