Zai Rice Harvester Good?

Hi, My Thai GF and I are going to buy a rice harvester, looking at the Kubota DC-68 but she's come across some Chinese ones imported by ZAI, they are about 40% cheaper, they say they've been selling them in TH for 6 years.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of them or know of any other good cheaper alternative to Kubota?

Any help for a newbie would be greatly apprecieated.

Cheers,

Peter

Been doing this for 4 years now & its very hard to make a profit, maintenance costs are very high plus the price of diesel is set to rise when the government stop subsidising it. We may sell up later this year after the Main Harvest.

A link to my You Tube account some vids of my set up though your are opting for the much smaller harvester here.

shaunleigh75

I'll +1 Mali

There is a glut of Kubota DC's around and thais will just keep discounting until they get the work with no appreciation of true running costs. I've spent 20k this season on stuff and repairs for 1 DC60 and it looks like (so I'm told as I'm out of the country) I'll be up for a new set of tracks before next season(around another 40k). The other machines won't raise their prices above 500 a rai (not enough) and one guy struggling to get work has done a few bigger rai jobs at 350 a rai. I'm also of 2 minds whether I'll keep the machine as when you factor in repayment for the initial outlay of the machine, its not really making money at 500 a rai or enough to warrant the effort and risk. If I do cut next season, price will go up to 600 per rai depending on fuel increases (or what I think the locals with accept) with a take it or leave it attitude.

If you STILL want to give it a try - then go with the DC68 to reduce reliance on manpower and pick you driver/s wisely. Unless the family has 300+ rai with 2 seasons....I wouldn't do it....and what I know now, I wouldn't do it unless they had 500+ rai. Also, don't believe the family will always use you just because you are family. We've had a number of farmers this season 'cross over' to use our machine despite someone in the "extended family" having a machine. Thai loyalty is a fickle thing my friend, definitely something I wouldn't bank on.

I won't ramble on about chinese stuff - but initial outlay is only one part of the equation and if I was (55555) to buy another harvester, it would be a Kubota. The other thing is how you intend to set it up - do you intend to be in Thailand all the time? If not - forget it again. I could go on forever giving examples of the thai working on my machines and friends machines who "think" (sic) they know how to do it and in fact fact have no idea about what they are doing with the end result of costing you more money. A good example is replacing belts with no interest in opening the book to check the right tension - near enough is good enough for them. I've had bolts come out of the drive sprockets when they replaced them and not tightening them properly, rollers falling off because the guy greasing them daily didn't bother to take notice of bolt tension etc, replacing 2000 baht belt set 10 days after putting new ones in because of not tensioning them properly etc etc etc and ALL these and other issues while I've been out of country. When I'm there...funnily enough the machine has minimal issues.

You've been warned.

Very ,Very good advice from ISEE.My attitude is that IF you want something mechanical here, forget it ,as a money making device . If it is a hobby for you , go right ahead. I , many years ago ,looked at buying a tractor. I am happy to say , I didn't buy it. Too many idiots have bought them ,To get Thai operators who know or understand ,anything about maintenance is very difficult. Too often ,the attitude is "don't touch it , until it breaks" which makes operational costs prohibitive. So, as a hobby-Go for it. As a money making idea-Use EXTREME caution