Don'T Speak Pidgin Thai To My Kids

saraburioz

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Pepel who will not recognise that Thai is the langiage to be spoken in Thailoand if possible asnd then call people who do plonkers should take their kids to wherever they came from.

Still on the sauce harry?

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::burp:

jb1

If I meet half-caste kids, i always start off speaking english with them.

Why do you assume all half-caste kids speak English?

If their mother or father is a European Expat, it's a fair assumption.

Are you sure? Not all Europeans speak Engleeesh. :shock1:

jb1

Yes what an extraordinary term to use from someone complaining about how people speak to their kids!

Indeed. Caste means 'pure'. So which half does the OP consider the pure half?

At what level of Thai is someone allowed to talk to your kids? Fluent as a native, half fluent, quarter fluent? Bizarre to get upset when someone is trying to make an effort to speak Thai.

No it doesn't.

Caste comes from the Latin castus, meaning pure, and the Portuguese and Spanish casta, meaning race. So, half-caste means that the individual is half pure in race. You could also say that the individual’s racial heritage is tainted or mixed. The term half-caste can often be considered offensive because it suggests that the individual is only half a person. This problem is caused by the underlying assumptions that we make and the way we associate these terms with one another, as shown below:

1. Personal and cultural value are directly related to ethnicity/race.

2. The pursuit of political correctness entirely evades racism altogether.

Source

1) I think it's odd that Farangs would try and speak Thai -- no matter what level of Thai skills they had -- to a Farang's kids, unless they knew those kids couldn't speak English. This has NEVER happened to my kids.

2) I think it's really odd that this guys calls his kids "half-caste". (And if he ever met my kids and spoke to them in any language but referred to them as "half-caste" -- I'd have some things to say to him [in Thai or English]).

Friends of ours with mixed race childern tend to have the same unwritten rule. Non Thais speak English to the kids regardless of their Thai language abilities, Thais speak Thai to them regardless of their English language abilities.

Over the years it seems to have worked very well.

I think this was more a post for the OP to suggest that his language skills are better than his mate's more than anything else though...

Your last sentence 100%...

jb1

You think wrong. Strangely, i think the guys talking to the kids are trying to show off sometimes.

1) I think it's odd that Farangs would try and speak Thai -- no matter what level of Thai skills they had -- to a Farang's kids, unless they knew those kids couldn't speak English. This has NEVER happened to my kids.

2) I think it's really odd that this guys calls his kids "half-caste". (And if he ever met my kids and spoke to them in any language but referred to them as "half-caste" -- I'd have some things to say to him [in Thai or English]).

Do you mind people calling your kids , 'farang'. it annoys me.

i find that amazing that noone has ever gone up to your kids and said, 'sabai dee mai' Actually, i don't believe you.

I would never call my own kids halfe-caste.

I don't even like 'look kreung'

I always use Eurasian when referring to my kids.

If I meet half-caste kids, i always start off speaking english with them.

Why do you assume all half-caste kids speak English?

If their mother or father is a European Expat, it's a fair assumption.

Are you sure? Not all Europeans speak Engleeesh. :shock1:

jb1

Mine speak german :lol:

Yermanee :jap:

Friends of ours with mixed race childern tend to have the same unwritten rule. Non Thais speak English to the kids regardless of their Thai language abilities, Thais speak Thai to them regardless of their English language abilities.

Over the years it seems to have worked very well.

I think this was more a post for the OP to suggest that his language skills are better than his mate's more than anything else though...

Your last sentence 100%...

jb1

You think wrong. Strangely, i think the guys talking to the kids are trying to show off sometimes.

Not trying to make polite, friendly conversation? Children can also make great teachers. :wai:

jb1

I would very much prefer nobody called my kid for half-caste. Half, as in half-thai-half-farang is ok, but half-caste is not. Defnitely not. annoyed.gif

I am half Belgian/half Indonesian... Within the 45 years of living on this planet, nobody -except maybe behind my back- dared to call me names. B)

I would very much prefer nobody called my kid for half-caste. Half, as in half-thai-half-farang is ok, but half-caste is not. Defnitely not. annoyed.gif

I am half Belgian/half Indonesian... Within the 45 years of living on this planet, nobody -except maybe behind my back- dared to call me names. B)

Being called half-caste is not bbeing called names. it is proper English

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1

I really think farang is more offensive.

i find that amazing that noone has ever gone up to your kids and said, 'sabai dee mai' Actually, i don't believe you.

• I don't have a problem with "Falang". The etymological, soical and historical reasons have been discussed on this forum by myself and others ad nauseum.
  • I think you're a PEJORATIVE CURSE WORD for calling me a liar (inaccurately and completely without cause).
  • I think it's disgusting that you would call someone else's kids an offensive term while acknowledging that you won't use it for your own.

I find it amazing that no one has gone up to your kids and said sa-bai dee-mai. Isn't that what pisses you off, in the first place?

jb1

Then why do you say you'd never use it to describe your kids?

Here's a challenge for you -- find me one online dictionary that doesn't list it as "offensive".

I find it amazing that no one has gone up to your kids and said sa-bai dee-mai. Isn't that what pisses you off, in the first place?

jb1

Are you on the JB, JB1?

Quite a few have - that's what annoys me.

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1

Since you are using a quote from wiki (rather out of context) to defend your position ------- http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Half-caste

Here is the whole paragraph that you quoted from

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1] Caste comes from the Latin castus, meaning pure, and the dervative Portuguese and Spanish casta, meaning race. The term originates from the Indian caste system, where a person of 'lesser' or half-caste would be deemed to be of a 'lower class'. The origins of the term are derogatory.

The origins of the term are derogatory. note the full reference and the last sentence --- "proper English" indeed!

This is all pretty well off-topic unless you consider the mis-use of any language to be "pidgin" ----

The fact of the matter is that the OP is making the incorrect assumption that

1) He can control other people's speech

and

2) That pidgin Thai is not the only option that some people would have for a language in common.

I spent some time in Chiang Rai, and stayed at a foreign owned place where the owner didn't speak English but we both spoke a fair amount of Thai. He asked me to join a tour the next day (dirt cheap) because his client was a British woman and he couldn't communicate with her. I was relatively new to Thailand at the time so "pidgin Thai" was how I communicated with the driver, and I spoke English with his client.

Edited by jdinasia

Since you are using a quote from wiki (rather out of context) to defend your position ------- http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Half-caste

Here is the whole paragraph that you quoted from

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1] Caste comes from the Latin castus, meaning pure, and the dervative Portuguese and Spanish casta, meaning race. The term originates from the Indian caste system, where a person of 'lesser' or half-caste would be deemed to be of a 'lower class'. The origins of the term are derogatory.

The origins of the term are derogatory. note the full reference and the last sentence --- "proper English" indeed!

Yeah, but it's all right JD - he only uses to refer to other people's kids...

If a Farang saying "sabai de?" to his kids bother him, I suppose he should be upset when some local Saraburi Thais say "Hello" to them (or try and speak English with them) -- but I'm guessing that that's OK...no doubt because they are Thai it's charming when they do it.

Off topic a little, but I'm more bothered by native English speakers who speak to other native English speakers in pigin English. :bah:

Or mix Thai with English. One guy said to me (after I asked where he was going) " I'm off to the talad with the wife"

Give me strength.

Off topic a little, but I'm more bothered by native English speakers who speak to other native English speakers in pigin English. :bah:

Or mix Thai with English. One guy said to me (after I asked where he was going) " I'm off to the talad with the wife"

Give me strength.

Haven't heard it but I would hate that. (Unless it was done with deliberate irony, I guess.)

Give me strength.

Haven't heard it but I would hate that. (Unless it was done with deliberate irony, I guess.)

My girlfriend and I talk to each other that way sometimes, usually using more than one word, then correct each other, on the full translation. Helps us?

Give me strength.

My girlfriend and I talk to each other that way sometimes, usually using more than one word, then correct each other, on the full translation. Helps us?

And why not? (Though I confess I'm confused by your explanation of the method).

But the poster above was referring to two native speakers doing it and that's what I'd find annoying.

Funny they don't seem to mind when I hold up the glass and say 'one more'..........and not...... "would you like another beer"

Give me strength.

Poor isolated souls......wait till text speak catches up with you.....:)