Expat Survey Shows 84% Happy In Thailand, Thaksin Not Popular

george

In parts the survey didn't give flexibility to answer; in other words you had to give an answer that you may not have been happy with.

Is this your way of moaning about proof that most Westerners are happy to live in Thailand? It comes as a real blow to some here. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin's government will make economy better, there will be less prostitutes walking streets and soi Nana

this is probably one of many reasons expats and those parasitical elites are not a big fan of him.

WELL SAID!!!you know is funny that the most of the other fellows farang(i am half farang and halve thai) are so old, we certainly need some fresh blood here :)

Keep to topic. No political discussion in this thread please. Further posts will be removed.

Why put Thaksin in the tittle of the thread if you don't want people to talk about politic ?

You're an admin here, if you don't want people to talk about politic, just edit the tittle of this thread and remove all reference to political people.

Including from the OP

To answer your survey, I'm half married to a Thai citizen, "own" two houses and a car, appreciate ThaiVisa, will, and had, recommended it to friends. I'm quite happy with the moderation here but appreciate some logic from time to time

Very good point. I assume the Thaksin name is used to get people interested. Love him or loath him he does have amazing influence. His name seem to be mentioned on TV more than any other. He's even an option on one of the poll questions regarding voting preferences when he's not actually an option in the election, doesn't live in Thailand and would end up in jail if he returned.

A very interesting poll really.

The survey results may of course be discussed, but this thread is not the place for political debate.

Maybe it's time to rejuvenate the members. Imagine the same survey in 2031: average age will be 70 - 79!!!!

Of course, most of the farang living in Thailand are old chap like us but I see, on a daily basis, young guys LIVING in the country, mostly in Bangkok, I mean expats not tourists.

They would probably not be interested by the useless discussions / forums about Thaksin but they obviously like the country and have something to tell about it.

At this moment, where do they meet (on line)?

Well, perhaps they are just happy to stay here and do not mind about politics and criticisms about Thailand.

That depends on what you consider youngwink.gif

I mean VERY young. 20's. I dunno how they make a living in Thailand, maybe Mum's monnies.

well i am 25 and i work as chinese language and culture professor at one of the best universities of the country :)

the topic heading = Taksin not popular(The majority)

Means We are educated?

OK then... I can keep pissin' him off in this forum and won't be tellin' off. G0000000dy

Good things on Thaivisa

additional info. from other members helped me understand all the topics of discussion in-depth. Sure!!!!

I'm developing more and more my knowledge.

Edited by thaiphoon
moderation comment removed

I would like the moderators or who ever, delete a lot of old comments in relation to everything and bring up to date information, (up to date).

A lot of comments and information on all topics go back many years, including Visa Info and the like. This is out of date and is giving misinformation to TV Patrons.

For your information and action.

In parts the survey didn't give flexibility to answer; in other words you had to give an answer that you may not have been happy with.

Is this your way of moaning about proof that most Westerners are happy to live in Thailand? It comes as a real blow to some here. :D

I thought I was happy, then I read this. I need to take some time out to re-examine the purpose of my life and its effect on the surrounding populace in general.

I may contemplate this with the aid of a bacon sandwich and coffee, but which will make me feel better, brown sauce, ketchup or naked as the day it was fried, when faced with such difficult choices it is easy to see how some can get so stressed out.

George, thanks for correctly making it clear. You can own a house, but not the land.

How do:

36% own a house in Thailand

if only:

No visa, I am a Thai citizen 2.1%

Residence permit 3.7%

Seems to me 30.2% are also liars? How accurate is this poll really?

You can not own land in Thailand, but you can own a house. Or lease. Or have your partner or wife buy it.

There were five different questions in TV survey where answer option was ,( not in thailand ) #5 1267, #6 344, #9 809, #12 192, and #15 140, and I was wondering why is there so much variations in the answers, Maybe they came back into Thailand and left again between questions? haa haa.

interesting results...always nice to learn something new, I didn't realize there were so many old men on here, probably explains most of the post replies....:whistling: any before you FLAME me, I am one of them!

Maybe it's time to rejuvenate the members. Imagine the same survey in 2031: average age will be 70 - 79!!!!

Of course, most of the farang living in Thailand are old chap like us but I see, on a daily basis, young guys LIVING in the country, mostly in Bangkok, I mean expats not tourists.

They would probably not be interested by the useless discussions / forums about Thaksin but they obviously like the country and have something to tell about it.

Well, perhaps they are just happy to stay here and do not mind about politics and criticisms about Thailand.

I mean VERY young. 20's. I dunno how they make a living in Thailand, maybe Mum's monnies.

Family trust fund actually... This is my major source of income since I moved to SE-Asia, 20 years ago. when I was in my mid 20's! B)

Or they work. I am 25. I know a lot around my age who are teachers.

I was astounded by the demographics because it explained alot. I admit to being puzzled by by the nature of some of the comments posted particularly the obsession with nonsensical conspiracy rants as most normal people just don't express those views. Arguing over a buffet or the luggage trolleys at swampy, jeez, is life that dull that it begs a massive argument?

The heavy weighting of a demographic characterized by males aged 40-70 mostly from from North America and the UK, without children and with marginal incomes explains alot. It's an over concentration of one group that tends to harbor such views. As such, I shouldn't be puzzled why so many comments are selfish, bitter and often prejudiced. Young people, guys with kids, older folks that worked their entire lives or experienced the impact of WWII have a more conciliatory outlook in life. Bit of a trueism, I know, but wow, the demographics are really skewed..

The heavy concentration of Bangkok and Pattaya residents explains the views on Thaksin. Maybe one will say I am generalizing, but a guy living in Issan with his Thai family or a young guy starting his family or an expat woman, isn't going to express the same strident views. They may not like Thaksin, but they'll just say that in a polite non confrontational way and move on. They have better things to do than launch a tirade. It's not just politics. It can be on the buffet down at the Jolly Somchai Bistro, A working guy or someone that has to change a nappie isn't going to get involved in such silliness.

It seems to me that the site's owners will surely appreciate that 25-35 year olds, real retirees and females represent a major advertising target. These are the people that purchase things, especially young families in Thailand. Is there an interest in broadening the TVF demographic to attract women and younger males that are more likely to pay attention to the ad links and services offered in this type of forum? A diversification of members would certainly add to the overall experience. The forum does an excellent job on responding to visa & retiree issues, but age demographics suggest a real market opportunity for a more focused health care and assisted living focus. Surely, there's an even an opportunity for a home life type of angle. By homelife, I'm thinking of a resource section for building trades or even fixtures. For example, how often is the forum filled with a question on finding a qualified tradesman? Wouldn't it be great to have a directory of contractors with client comments. (Comments that were moderated to ensure fairness.)

Now, if someone said, ok, bigmouth, great suggestion, how do you propose it get done? I'd shrug my shoulders and say I dunno.

All in all a fascinating read.

Edited by geriatrickid

The heavy concentration of Bangkok and Pattaya residents explains the views on Thaksin. Maybe one will say I am generalizing, but a guy living in Issan with his Thai family or a young guy starting his family or an expat woman, isn't going to express the same strident views. They may not like Thaksin, but they'll just say that in a polite non confrontational way and move on. They have better things to do than launch a tirade. It's not just politics.

Yes, I noticed the same. The Bangkok concentration was particularly surprising but indeed explains a lot. I have a young family and live in Chiang Mai and see things differently. Then I get accused even of trolling just because my opinion is different from some bitter Bangkok / Pattaya person.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wonder how many members are like me too busy working and socializing with friends to spend time on Thai Visa filling out Surveys

I didn't even know there was a survey till just now I went home to Oz for the Long school break as did many of my friends Did you take that into account in your survey.

In parts the survey didn't give flexibility to answer; in other words you had to give an answer that you may not have been happy with. When you put this type of question into a survey you are just stacking results. The reasoning on this is that you could not move on in the survey without an answer so you would not be able to give a result for the survey. I know I answered questions in the survey but felt very uncomfortable with the answer. If I didn't answer I couldn't do the survey, it would flick me back to I answered.

A neutral answer or No comment answer is also powerful result, as it still gives a result in that the answers set out are not the ones the person doing the survey would give.

I couldn't understand why there were questions in there about Thaksin. What ever the answer expats don't have political sway in the country. Its something that I would have in the back of my mind but that is where it stays because I don't have a political say in Thailand. If my opinion counted yeah sure put it in, but I think you are playing with fire otherwise.

The survey in part may have purpose, but results with survey's need to be looked at carefully as it is easy to corrupt results. When this happens all you end up with is a piece of paper or garble on your computer screen. Surveys are very hard to fine tune and you may need to do a few focus group trials before they go out.

I agree why put a question in about Thaksin ???? The precludes many people who arrived here after the Coup and don't know what it was like when he was here So they only see part of the picture.

In parts the survey didn't give flexibility to answer; in other words you had to give an answer that you may not have been happy with. When you put this type of question into a survey you are just stacking results. The reasoning on this is that you could not move on in the survey without an answer so you would not be able to give a result for the survey. I know I answered questions in the survey but felt very uncomfortable with the answer. If I didn't answer I couldn't do the survey, it would flick me back to I answered.

A neutral answer or No comment answer is also powerful result, as it still gives a result in that the answers set out are not the ones the person doing the survey would give.

I couldn't understand why there were questions in there about Thaksin. What ever the answer expats don't have political sway in the country. Its something that I would have in the back of my mind but that is where it stays because I don't have a political say in Thailand. If my opinion counted yeah sure put it in, but I think you are playing with fire otherwise.

The survey in part may have purpose, but results with survey's need to be looked at carefully as it is easy to corrupt results. When this happens all you end up with is a piece of paper or garble on your computer screen. Surveys are very hard to fine tune and you may need to do a few focus group trials before they go out.

I agree why put a question in about Thaksin ???? The precludes many people who arrived here after the Coup and don't know what it was like when he was here So they only see part of the picture.

you obviously don't know Thai Visa very well - it's a great site in many ways for information but is hardly unbiased - we all know that and take it into account (mostly) - I know loads of TV members who are friends and we are ALL in agreement about that (but most are afraid to comment on it largely which is why over half do not post - I wish I was as wise). Hence the Thaksin question.

At present he is the single largest problem facing Thailand determining a direction for it's future. It is quite appropriate to ask about him of people living and closely tied to Thailand, makes no difference if we can vote for him or not, many have families here that can and do, and Thaksins actions affect expats families in Thailand.

Thaksin is very popular with me, guess I am a rare breed of farang :whistling: so are the red shirts :jap:

just keep telling yourself you are someone special.. pretty much Thaksin's mantle, apparently, anyway.. point is we farang's and almost all Thais DO NOT and CAN NOT know the real truth of these matters, good or bad, rights or wrongs.. and those who pretend they do are just jumping on what they think is the coolest (generally 'anti whichever government's in power, I'm for and with the people' ) bandwagon... wai.gif

Thaksin is very popular with me, guess I am a rare breed of farang :whistling: so are the red shirts :jap:

same for me here.....and I personally belive this poll is not corect (:

New government is rediculous....check out for yourself what THEY have really done for the citizens of Thailand since Abhisit and his

yellow Chinese gang came to power - NOTHING

have you been on an Emergency Room in a Public hospital at nightime for example? go check it out and you know what i am talking about.......a single student doc

for 50 Emergencys....thats your yellow reality !!! :jap:

The heavy concentration of Bangkok and Pattaya residents explains the views on Thaksin. Maybe one will say I am generalizing, but a guy living in Issan with his Thai family or a young guy starting his family or an expat woman, isn't going to express the same strident views. They may not like Thaksin, but they'll just say that in a polite non confrontational way and move on. They have better things to do than launch a tirade. It's not just politics.

Yes, I noticed the same. The Bangkok concentration was particularly surprising but indeed explains a lot. I have a young family and live in Chiang Mai and see things differently. Then I get accused even of trolling just because my opinion is different from some bitter Bangkok / Pattaya person.

Was told being nonsensical resulted from some folks didn't get to understand what I suggested in a post

plus some nasty guys try to show off their superiority over other members and try to find out others' mistakes especially in writing. Some can be very stubborn arguing over tinpot bits. on the other hand, some are very helpful and informative. The Savior and his enemies here!!!!!!!!

Edited by dunkin2012

Nice work... great idea... kudos George

which I could say the same BUT I was never aware of a poll.....so may be George should do it again and make

it a bit more popular....by mail or FaceBook for example....like all other NEWs too :jap:

just keep telling yourself you are someone special.. pretty much Thaksin's mantle, apparently, anyway.. point is we farang's and almost all Thais DO NOT and CAN NOT know the real truth of these matters, good or bad, rights or wrongs.. and those who pretend they do are just jumping on what they think is the coolest (generally 'anti whichever government's in power, I'm for and with the people' ) bandwagon... wai.gif

Then your shirts color must be a red shirt

which I could say the same BUT I was never aware of a poll.....so may be George should do it again and make

it a bit more popular....by mail or FaceBook for example....like all other NEWs too :jap:

It was announced directly here last week.

Maybe you were not logging on then.

Most of us were sent the poll via email, do you subscribe?

We posted it via email to all subscribers, via Facebook and via Twitter. If you want to subscribe to the newsletter, go here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/353.0.html

We posted it via email to all subscribers, via Facebook and via Twitter. If you want to subscribe to the newsletter, go here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/353.0.html

Thanks Animatic, George and IB.... I just checked it again and there was no mail in my postbox....if so you can be very shure I raised my hand/voice Dear George (((:

Anyway, guess most of the polls are not really a 100% correct, due to the lazyness of some Expats....or the abilities checking the right PostBox :rolleyes:

Its a little bit the same with tourists arriving in Thailand and the TAT numbers....they count all the VISArunners in I guess.

have a great day

The majority of younger men I see in Thailand seem to come from the Scandinavian countries.. Most seem to be seaman with a Thai wife and most seem to live outside of Bangkok near their wifes families. Thats what I see.

Where do you live? Most of the young foreigners I see in Bangkok and environs are from North America and England, working as teachers or as another poster said, on the internet. In "upcountry" as the Thais call it perhaps you see more of the permanent "young"residents who happen to be married. i don't know.