Yingluck's Nomination Shows Thaksin At Helm

webfact

Sister's nomination shows Thaksin at helm

by Rachel O'Brien

BANGKOK, May 16, 2011 (AFP) - Yingluck Shinawatra has secured a place in Thai history as the first female candidate for the job of prime minister, but there is more interest in her role as a sibling than as a woman.

With hardly any political experience, her nomination by the opposition Puea Thai party shows the influence that her brother, ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, continues to exert in Thailand even while living in self-imposed exile.

Yingluck, a photogenic 43-year-old with a business-oriented background, is 18 years junior to her controversial big brother and will struggle to prove that she is anything but his puppet when it comes to politics.

"Yingluck is more like Thaksin's eldest child than his younger sister. She is his second-most trusted person in his family, after his ex-wife Pojaman," news magazine Matichon Weekly said in a profile in March.

"Yingluck is truly Thaksin's protege and she can access him at any time," it said.

Thailand is largely split between fans and foes of Thaksin, whose populist policies during his 2001-2006 tenure drew him a wide following in the rural north but accusations of authoritarianism and corruption from the Bangkok-based elites.

Ousted in a military coup, he now lives abroad to escape a jail term and is thought to be mainly based in Dubai, yet his absence has failed to diminish his significance at home, where he is considered the de facto leader of Puea Thai.

His detractors accuse him of inciting unrest during mass opposition protests by his Red Shirt followers last year, which saw dozens of people killed in clashes with authorities. He has also faces an arrest warrant for terrorism.

Against that background a nervous Yingluck emerged into the media spotlight on Monday, clearly aware of her candidacy's potential to ignite tensions.

"I want to see unity and reconciliation in our country. Puea Thai will not take revenge but will resolve," she said as she accepted her nomination.

The election on July 3 will see her go head-to-head with Oxford-educated and elite-backed Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who came to power in 2008 and has shown surprising resilience in the wake of last year's crisis.

Yingluck placed behind Abhisit in most categories of an Abac popularity polling by Assumption University last month -- because she "has not yet had a chance to demonstrate her leadership skill to the public", the pollster said.

The married mother-of-one, currently president of Thai real estate firm SC Asset Corp, graduated in political science before earning a masters degree in business administration at Kentucky State University in the United States.

She came back to work for a company of Thaksin's as a trainee in the early 1990s, going on to take various positions within her brother's business empire.

She is a former president of the mobile telephone unit of Shin Corp., the telecoms giant founded by Thaksin that was at the centre of a tax scandal over the sale of the family's shares in the group in 2006.

Analysts suggest that while Yingluck is likely to be welcomed by fans of her brother, she could struggle to appeal to voters beyond his rural and working-class loyalists, who were already expected to vote for Puea Thai.

"There might be Bangkok urbanites who like the pro-democracy line of the Puea Thai but the fact that she has the name of Shinawatra could put them off," said Pavin Chachavalpongpun, a Thai political expert at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore.

"It will come down to her own leadership which we will not know until we see."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-16

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leadership? She will just follow what her brother says... No need to think too much, no need to feel any stress. :lol:

Wasn't there an earlier article mentioning that the party would not let her speak with the media? Sounds something like Sarah Palin. :lol:

When the issue of a televised debate between her and Abhisit came up, Pheu Thai Party MP big wig Surapong from Chiang Mai suggested that if a debate were to occur, Red Shirt Leader On Bail (and Pheu Thai Party-list candidate) Natthawut would stand in for her.

What's her position in Article 112, les majeste in Thailand? And, how does she propose to reign in the military? What educational improvements will she make?

In 6 months, every student will have a tablet computer, and be connected to the internet.

(It's going to take another 12 months to roll out 3G. I don't know how they plan to get everyone connected to the internet.)

In 6 months, everyone will be able to speak English.

(... at least as well as Thaksin can. That should only take 2 weeks.)

What's her position in Article 112, les majeste in Thailand? And, how does she propose to reign in the military? What educational improvements will she make?

In 6 months, every student will have a tablet computer, and be connected to the internet.

(It's going to take another 12 months to roll out 3G. I don't know how they plan to get everyone connected to the internet.)

In 6 months, everyone will be able to speak English.

(... at least as well as Thaksin can. That should only take 2 weeks.)

no one will need computers or an education soon

thaksin said we were all going to be rich in six months

then all the reds will be able to sit around drink whisky all day, talk shit and do nothing tangible to help Thailand

pretty much same same then..........

Those are all very good questions, but likely best left unanswered for now. The main thing is that at least there is a chance that she will try to do those things, whereas her main opponent is very happy with the political influence of the military, and the convenient tools that the LM laws provide to fight opponents.

Those are all very good questions, but likely best left unanswered for now.

They are very good questions.

Hopefully her stand on those and a multitude of other issues will be enunciated on during the debate.

Edited by Buchholz

Remeber, you are speaking about my future Mrs. I'm off to meet wacky tacky right now and ask for her hand! I suppos 100M TBT will do as a paymernt?

Super Suay Darling

Shouldn't you be asking her husband for her hand in marriage? I think husband outranks brother in that custom.

'

If Pheu Thai is able to win the election, Yingluk will become Thailand's first female prime minister.

anusorn.jpg

and if that happens, Thailand's first First Gentleman, Anusorn Amornchat

Let's see what she say's rather than just bash her? She's breaking the mold by being the first female for the PM's job - she's cute too!

I'm sure her husband thinks so.

He's breaking another mold, too, along with her. First Gentleman (has a nice ring to it).

Let's see what she say's rather than just bash her? She's breaking the mold by being the first female for the PM's job - she's cute too!

I'm sure her husband thinks so.

He's breaking another mold, too, along with her. First Gentleman (has a nice ring to it).

oh yes that's true - hadn't thought of that! but it will never happen of course - they will win most votes for a single party then get shafted by the Dems and their cohorts who will be bought by getting posts and favors in the new government - and so it goes on

Today's front page article of the "Bangkok Post" reported that Thaksin claimed his baby sister was NOT his "nominee" nor his "proxy". Instead, he said she were his "CLONE".

If that is true, then all I can say is: Good luck, Thailand!

Today's front page article of the "Bangkok Post" reported that Thaksin claimed his baby sister was NOT his "nominee" nor his "proxy". Instead, he said she were his "CLONE".

If that is true, then all I can say is: Good luck, Thailand!

On September 15, 2007, the Philippines announced its development of Southeast Asia’s first cloned water buffalo. The Philippine Council for Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resources Research and Development (PCARRD), under the Department of Science and Technology in Los Baños, Laguna approved this project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloning

Funny, can't find her name on the alumni list of Kentucky State U. Nor is she mentioned as a notable alumni...............

Hmmm... she doesn't turn up anywhere on an entire search of their website... interesting

yingluck.png

In any university I'm familiar with it would be unlikely to find the name of a graduate through a website search.Try finding someone called Abhisit Vejjajiva on the Oxford University website.

Funny, can't find her name on the alumni list of Kentucky State U. Nor is she mentioned as a notable alumni...............

Hmmm... she doesn't turn up anywhere on an entire search of their website... interesting

yingluck.png

In any university I'm familiar with it would be unlikely to find the name of a graduate through a website search.Try finding someone called Abhisit Vejjajiva on the Oxford University website.

Kentucky State University isn't in the UK

anyway... 39 hits on one and 10 on another

thaksin1.png

thaksin2.png

Kentucky State University isn't in the UK

Well spotted but so what?

I'm very familiar with Yale (where many decades ago I did some research) and the same applies there.One couldn't trace a graduate from the website and I suspect the same applies to all universities.There is usually a separate alumni site but even this would be subject to password/user name restrictions.In some cases there might be a list of notable alumni but Yingluck hardly belongs to that category (yet).

Thanks for posting the link on Thaksin's alma mater.I see it recognised Thaksin with a prestigious award previously awarded to the likes of Lech Walesa.

http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/T@S/2002/ShinAwardRel.html

Grateful for bringing this to our attention.

Edited by jayboy

oh yes that's true - hadn't thought of that! but it will never happen of course - they will win most votes for a single party then get shafted by the Dems and their cohorts who will be bought by getting posts and favors in the new government - and so it goes on

Having to get the majority support sucks, doesn't it?

Having to get the majority support sucks, doesn't it?

What Thaksin wouldn't pay to buy himself a coalition majority in this election. Funnily enough he did previously. So some form there. Red supporters only notice that which fits their story unfortunately.