Things To Bring To Koh Samui/Thailand

Hello All,

I am planning to move to Thailand (currently Koh Saumu, is my first choice) in about a year and a half, and I was wondering what some of you experienced expats would want to bring to Thailand if you had to start over again.

I've pretty much ruled out motorcycles, scooters, autos, etc, based on feedback I gotten from this forum and others, but I was wondering about some of the more mundane things. I plan on shipping a single container with around 2 or 3 thousand pounds maximum.

Things, I've considered so far are: a good mattress with box springs, camping equipment (gas stoves, lanterns, etc), fishing equipment, security equipment, computer equipment, charcoal grill, some good pots and pans, and some 120V-to-250V transformers. I also have some good fencing materials for making a kennel, etc. that I could ship.

I'm also considering buying a good Honda generator (2k-3k Watts), an aluminum fishing boat, and perhaps a 9 or 10 hp boat motor, since I understand there is no import tariffs on these, as long as they have been used a year or so.

If you good give me some ideas based upon your experience I would appreciate it.

(I also know there is a good chance that anything of real value that I ship will be stolen before it reaches my soon-to-be home in Thailand.)

Thanks.

RickThai

I'd leave the grill and pots and pans. With Tesco and Home Pro this place isn't totally uncivilized.

You could pay for your trip just by taking orders from people and bringing what they need if you have the room.

Put me down for a few bottle of Green Chartreuse. :)

If you use a proper moving company, ideally one based in Asia, you'll be processed without a hitch at customs. It won't come cheap though.

Pots and pans are indeed not really necessary but if you bring over a container, why not ship them, they don't take up much space.

My thoughts!

Things, I've considered so far are: a good mattress with box springs,Yes!!! although you can buy Sealy mattresses here... at Home Pro, but not tried...

camping equipment (gas stoves, lanterns, etc), fishing equipment, Not sure that you'll ever use the camping equipment! Not too many camp sites that I have ever seen, except you can rent tents at National parks usually, not sure you can use your own or not!

security equipment, you can get here, computer equipment, (Get a voltage regulator when you are here and UPS for TV or computer stuff )

charcoal grill, maybe! some good pots and pans, I did and glad I did bring heavier duty pots, wished had brought a cast iron frying pan! Good knives and forks etc...

Gas stoves are relatively cheap here!

and some 120V-to-250V transformers. Don't think you will need! Computers etc are dual voltage, if you coming from North America... I brought one here, then forgot to use it when I plugged in the one thing that needed it! :realangry: That was a de Walt drill.. !

I also have some good fencing materials for making a kennel, etc. that I could ship. Easy to get here... although wood not cheap, but I would consider using galvanized metal posts & fencing.... or you'll find wood will rot.... quickly! or have to be treated often...

As for a boat, well personally would not, see what others say!

Hope that helps a little... a tough one as to what to decide to bring or not... I got my stuff down to one large trunk, and shipped it by Air.

I'd concentrate on more personal items.... you might find things sitting around that you will never use! :)

Egg poacher. :lol:

2-Cup Coffee Percolator. :lol:

Joe's going to set up shop with those, items..... should be coming after his next trip to Malaysia! .... :lol: By the time you (the OP) gets here they should be on sale! :D

if by sale you mean previous price plus 10%, you are correct sir!

We couldn't find a glass microwavable dish anywhere. All the clear glass dishes we found didn't have microwave safe stamped on them and ended up blowing up...we finally had to settle on some microwavable plastic dishes that we found at Big C.

One thing that nobody ever seems to warn people about is the effect of the climate here on plastics (fabrics ... particularly leather etc).

I came here with several Nikon camera bodies/lenses etc etc in pro cases and boxes and 4 years later the polycarbonate parts had started to disintegrate and crumble.

(Just take a look at the hundreds of oldish motorbikes here to see certain types of plastic molding simply disintegrating after 4 or 5 years. The originally black plastic turns grey and you can scrape it apart with a fingernail - it feels just like expanded polystyrene foam.)

If you have anything like this then (seeing that you are renting half a ship to bring your stuff) it might be prudent to buy a climate controlled cabinet to hold these things also!

R

Thanks for the input. (Although I will be bringing my wife, so some of the items suggested may not be applicable.)

I need to ship a container (not a container ship) becuase my wife has been buying up things to give to her aging mother and other relatives.

Again, thanks.

RickThai

A "speak Russian" handbook.

A generator

Candles

An egg poacher for H20Duncs

A torch

Loads of dosh

A very comprehensive health cover.

As much tarmac as you can fit in your suitcase to help us finish the ring road once and for all.

forget the container, just get by with whats here, and that prity much everything. 18 months away before you coming wow thats planning, try putting a boat in Samui waters, that will be your biggest challenge. who is going to be your captain?

forget the container, just get by with whats here, and that prity much everything. 18 months away before you coming wow thats planning, try putting a boat in Samui waters, that will be your biggest challenge. who is going to be your captain?

Why would he need a captain, he can do it himself. Dont bother replying that you have to have a thai captain on board as that is no longer true. And putting a boat in the water in Samui is just as easy as anywhere else including your precious Pattaya

I shipped some stuff from HK a few years back, old electronic stuff , some household, books , music and childrens toys, and the customs in BK held it until we gave them 14000 bhat .We live up country and they knew it . The guy on the phone, over 3 weeks as we negotiated trying to get our general household junk was a bit sneaky .

We had to pay in the end even after my wife sending her passport to BK . There were no stamps stating she had been entering Hk as she has residence status . So the guy said she hadn't been there . When she explained the HK status he said , see your not really Thai then . They sent us my packing list with their bill with their fee price beside it .

Childrens Plastic Table - 500 bhat

I box of kitchen ware - 800 bhat

and so on . <deleted> we paid . Mrs Onions explained this is the way of it .

I am only glad they weren't familiar with rare vinyl records and they were lumped in with the cd's.

Luke

I shipped some stuff from HK a few years back, old electronic stuff , some household, books , music and childrens toys, and the customs in BK held it until we gave them 14000 bhat .We live up country and they knew it . The guy on the phone, over 3 weeks as we negotiated trying to get our general household junk was a bit sneaky .

We had to pay in the end even after my wife sending her passport to BK . There were no stamps stating she had been entering Hk as she has residence status . So the guy said she hadn't been there . When she explained the HK status he said , see your not really Thai then . They sent us my packing list with their bill with their fee price beside it .

Childrens Plastic Table - 500 bhat

I box of kitchen ware - 800 bhat

and so on . <deleted> we paid . Mrs Onions explained this is the way of it .

I am only glad they weren't familiar with rare vinyl records and they were lumped in with the cd's.

Luke

Unfortunately your wife is spot on about the extortion. My wife's sister has been a teacher in Khampangphet for over 30 years. In order for her nephew's girlfriend to get a job as an assistance teacher (she was well qualified and had the experience), they had to pony up several thousand baht to pay to the school's head administrator.

Apparently even Thais have to pay up to get anything done in Thailand. They just get slightly lower prices.

Thanks for the info.

RickThat

could u bring me a copy of the dvd sexy beast the gangster film so my misses can understand me when i take the piss of the artist formerly known as ghandi. No No no no no no no no.....yes yes yes yes !!! B)

i amm sorry but u r just going to have to turn this opitunity ..yes

Edited by BigC

Bring only MONEY. There is never enough here and it keeps vanishing almost like being sucked into a black hole. I suspect the Thais spend it immediately or gamble it away no matter how much it is (was). Remember also the money is subjected to a "gravity rule" here: like water can only flow downwards the money can only flow from a foreigner to Thai and NEVER other way around. Best if you could bring a personal ATM with you as if you don't you will be considered an ATM yourself. Warm welcome!

Again thanks for the info. Some of the info is helpful and some of the info is just funny, but it all helps.

RickThai

As for good pots/pans/woks, I'd say bring it.

I have, for years, been looking pretty much all over for the same kind of pots/pans/woks I use at home.

Just cannot find it.

I use cast iron (not steel, iron) pots/pans/woks, pure cast iron without any coating, they are great on electric stoves but even greater on gas.

If anybody should know where to get such I'd be happy if you share knowledge.

Getting tired of bringing that over from Europe to Thai friends.

Edited by melvinmelvin

could u bring me a copy of the dvd sexy beast the gangster film so my misses can understand me when i take the piss of the artist formerly known as ghandi. No No no no no no no no.....yes yes yes yes !!! B)

i amm sorry but u r just going to have to turn this opitunity ..yes

No offense intended, but I have absolutely NO IDEA what your post means.