Thailand Goes Chinese Style

george

The Nation:

Mandarin taught in all schools by ’08

BANGKOK: -- Programme to be phased in from next school year if proposal met with approval from Chaturon. The Education Ministry has announced that all high schools across the nation will have to introduce Mandarin classes by 2008, if a proposed plan is approved.

Khunying Kasama Varawarn na Ayutthaya, permanent secretary for education, yesterday said a new strategy to promote Mandarin and improve the teaching of the language would soon be submitted to Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang for approval.

“With his approval, the strategy will be implemented from the next academic year,” she said.

By 2007, each educational district will be required to have at least one high school with a Mandarin class.

By the 2008 academic year, the proposal requires that all high schools across the country offer classes in Mandarin.

Kasama said the government would help the schools in regards to Mandarin teachers and teaching materials during the first three years. After that, she said they would have to start running the Mandarin classes on their own.

“By then, we also plan to select an outstanding school from each province and appoint it as the centre to promote the teaching of Mandarin in its respective province,” she said, adding that the model school would coach others on how best to teach Mandarin.

Kasama said a Mandarin Teaching Fair would be held in December when Chinese President Hu Jintao visits Thailand.

At the fair, experts from China will offer advice on how best to provide Mandarin classes, Kasama said. Representatives

of big companies that invest in China will also give talks on the importance of being versed in Mandarin to the future economy, while instructors from Asian schools with outstanding Mandarin classes will give lectures on how best to teach the language.

Cultural activities including Chinese brush painting, a singing contest and a speech contest will also be offered for children to show their talent. The fair aims to show that Mandarin is a language that is relevant to people’s lives and about which there are many good examples to learn from, Kasama said.

“Schools with existing Mandarin classes can come and learn more techniques, while those that have no such classes can seek advice,” she added.

--The Nation 2005-10-06

What is Mandarin? Is it a form of Thai/Chinese language or something?

1 of chinese Lang , ( i cant speak that , just some words of hainanses..coz its my half blood)

anyhow its good idea that TH try to learn other language ... as we know the most population in this world is chinese (right??)...

Not really necessary for the entire country, IMO. For ethnic Thais, Mandarin is only slightly easier than English for them to pick up (in other words, they can "learn" it for 15-20 years and still not be able to communicate effectively). Those who need Mandarin to facilitate business between the LOS and the mainland, basically the current generation of Thai-Chinese in Bangkok, have all they need already at OCA, OKLS, and CCC, as it is.

:o

..I've noticed a lot more mainland chinese coming to thailand for their vacations lately.

last week, I bumped into a young couple from mainland china. we talked a little. they told me that they liked coming here for their holidays because it was affordable.

this guy's english was so good, I thought he was a fellow asian american.

globalization.

I agree with this policy...... :D

How else will the common Thai understand their local rice merchant, moneylender and gold shop proprieter.

When the strong arms come to collect on a debt and sieze their property, how else will they understand what the interest charges really were, unless they speak Chinese?

Or maybe this is a way for the "Have Not's" feel a little like the "Have's". They don't have the money or presitige, but "Shit" I can speak the same language!

Inasmuch as the logic seems to be, Well the largest country in the world speaks Chinese, while we are at it lets bring in Arabic since the worlds largest religion is Islamic!

:o

..I've noticed a lot more mainland chinese coming to thailand for their vacations lately.
Less noticeable are the Taiwanese who have been setting up business here for decades. I find Mandarin a lot more useful communicating with these folks.
I agree with this policy...... :o

How else will the common Thai understand their local rice merchant, moneylender and gold shop proprieter.

They'd be better off learning Teochiu Chinese if they wanted to understand what we were saying when we don't want them to know what we're talking about.

:D

What is Mandarin? Is it a form of Thai/Chinese language or something?

1 of chinese Lang , ( i cant speak that , just some words of hainanses..coz its my half blood)

anyhow its good idea that TH try to learn other language ... as we know the most population in this world is chinese (right??)...

Yes and they are learning English!!!!!!

Mandarin is the most important dialect in China , but isn't spoken by all Chinese.

Guess all the Chinese that the gov sold out too are Mandarin speakers. US$50 billion spending in Thailand over the next few years will need at least a few speakers. Wonder if Doc Tox speaks Mandarin or Haw Chinese? I think the Haw. :o Better start now : Ni hau? Hun hau! Sye Sye ni! Daijin! :D

Although Chinese has many dialects, Mandarin is the national language, majority in terms of numbers, and has been taught at all levels for many years (in mainland China). It's also the native language of most Taiwanese. Since HK is now officially part of China, everyone in HK is learning it.

No, the population of Thailand is not about to move to China. They don't teach English so that their children can move to a couple of English-speaking countries, you know. Up until 1989, half of Europe learnt English as their language of international business - and the other half learnt Russian. Now I don't know any adult Thais taking further English lessons, but I know a few learning Mandarin.

Heng once referred to Thailand as an economic outpost of China. That's a bit of an exaggeration - so far - but it does export more to Chinese-speaking countries than English-speaking. I'd say the future is pretty clear.

Heng once referred to Thailand as an economic outpost of China. That's a bit of an exaggeration - so far - but it does export more to Chinese-speaking countries than English-speaking. I'd say the future is pretty clear.

Once the PRC was able to put enough pressure upon Thailand to cause Thailand, a Buddhist country, to deny the Dalai Llama, spiritual leader of a major branch of Bhuddism, an entry visa, then I think it is pretty obvious who is wearing the pants in the house economically, politically, and, alas, culturally.

Chaiyo!

Once the PRC was able to put enough pressure upon Thailand to cause Thailand, a Buddhist country, to deny the Dalai Llama, spiritual leader of a major branch of Bhuddism, an entry visa, then I think it is pretty obvious who is wearing the pants in the house economically, politically, and, alas, culturally.

Chaiyo!

Two different kinds of Buddhists. Thais don't put any faith in the Dalai Llama, different school of thought.

The Nation:

Mandarin taught in all schools by ’08

Kasama said the government would help the schools in regards to Mandarin teachers and teaching materials during the first three years. After that, she said they would have to start running the Mandarin classes on their own.

BU SHR, as they say. Good idea to have some Chinese speakers, but I doubt if this program will ever happen. Maybe in BKK where there are a lot of middle class Chinese, but here in the backwater Isaan provinces the program would be dead in the water after three years when the government stops subsidizing. There are quite a few Chinese here - all the merchants. The families are well to do and none of them are going to teach for 80Baht/hr, 6000Baht/mo. fulltime+ or for charity. This of course is probably the same reason why there are not many English teachers here either. No money. Good luck.

Bryan

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

There are 6 Farangs teaching English at my School and 6 Chinese teaching Manderin. The school is a moderately priced private school and most of the students' are of aspiring middle-class families.

I once asked my students about their grandparents, like most middle-class Bangkok families (including my wifes!) most of them had at least one Chinese grandfather!

I've heard that Thai's say "Learn English for tourism - learn Chinese for business"

As ethnically chinese myself (but born in the UK), I get the impression that there seems to be quite an affinity with Chinese people here. Or maybe the Thais are being polite!

e.g. my Thai teacher told us that Thailand is referred to as 'muang Thai' (i/o 'pratheet Thai') because Thai people feel it is close to their heart. Similarly, apparently they say 'muang ciin' for China. Is this true?

e.g. I was telling a Thai lady I was Chinese and she said 'same same'... although I realise this is quite a catchphrase !

I am guessing that for some Thais at least there is a greater affinity & relevance to learn Chinese than English.

As ethnically chinese myself (but born in the UK), I get the impression that there seems to be quite an affinity with Chinese people here.  Or maybe the Thais are being polite!

Or maybe, just maybe with the population of Bangkok being 60% Sino-Thai, that the affinity is because they are ethnic Chinese too. The problem, contrary to William Skinner's flawed research nearly 50 years ago, is often the lack of affinity towards the ethnic Tai peoples such as the Khon Muang up north or the Lao in Isaan. This same lack of affinity is one aspect of the problems down in the far south where the second class citizens have an option as to where they can glance for leadership and identity. Lucky for Thailand that the Isaan folks have no worthy option in Laos to identify with.