Fitting Out New Shop House

We have been given a typical four storey end of row shop house in BKK (not sure exactly where yet, but in a Thai residential part) with a small piece of ground on the side ostensibly for car parking. It is just a concrete shell. We would like to make some changes, eg large French windows the length of the ground floor opening out to the side space and turning that into a patio (with a barbeque?) and additional windows. We will also need to install a kitchen, bathrooms etc. and build partition walls.

I would welcome advice on whom to turn to for work that could be structural (French windows) and an idea of costs.

Also how much I should budget for two bathrooms, three lavatories, a kitchen, partitions and painting the whole? Do you have any views on whether it is better to hire someone to do all the work or to hire separate contractors?

Many thanks

Sorry if I sound sceptical, but TiT.

You have been 'given' a shophouse in BKK, but you don't know where!

Before spending a penny piece, I would suggest that you confirm that your partner (assuming that you have a Thai partner) has the Chanote registered in their name, and that you then obtain a thirty year lease or a userfruct.

Being suspicious by nature, I could imagine the following scenario:

You think that you have been given the shophouse.

You have no legal right to it.

You spend a considerable amount of money on fitting it out to make a comfortable home to your own requirements.

Along comes "Somchai", who compliments you on the work completed.

And then says:

Get out of my house and get off my land!

I appreciate your scepticism. It was loose talk, when I said "I do not know where" I meant that I could not off the top of my head give the name of the neighbourhood, in case in made a difference to the answers I was given. I have seen teh chaanot.

Having read a number of other posts about building/renovating properties, where does one find labourers for general work?

Having read a number of other posts about building/renovating properties, where does one find labourers for general work?

Assuming that you don't have contacts in the immediate area of your house, have a look around locally and see what building work is being done and if possible speak to the owners of the property and if they are happy, then speak to the labour force. (Once again, assuming that you have a Thai partner, get them to make the contacts, whilst you absent yourself, as prices will without doubt increase if you are seen!).

Edited by A. BOOZER

we originally bought two adjoining shophouses in a small town in Suphanburi that were both new and just shells. My wife spent about 800k baht finishing off both interiors with bathrooms, kitchens, tile floors and supervised the work. Also included furniture to a medium standard. Later I added AC in our bedroom and insulation in the ceiling space.

Later we bought the lot next door and built a third identical house to include front and rear terraces joining the three houses...the wife thought it up and built it. I'm pretty happy now with our arrangement...

• 4 months later...

We find that you can do a nice upgrade to loft style for about 10,000 THB/SM or a good cleanup and semi-modernization for about half that. I wouldn't do it without a highly experienced and tough Thai partner (my wife).

But the payoff is great living at half the price of a condo, as you can see from comparative cost data at villageinthecity.com where I will continue to post information.

Here is the end result:

swelters

yeah...we got two open plan floors in the house where we live; my area downstairs and our A/C bedroom upstairs the other two adjoining houses got smaller bedrooms upstairs which suit the step daughter and the nieces living there...one downstairs is used as a garage for our late 90s' vintage Nissan Urvan and one other an open plan furnished flat (TV, fridge, toilet, etc) for whomever comes to stay, BiLs and their families, etc...I got one downstairs open plan for all my stuff, videos, computer and etc plus my own ample western kitchen...the town market is only 10min walk away, also close to a good school for the school aged girls...

the first floor terraces front and back spanning the 3 houses give a big living, dining and kitchen space to the rear and a magnificent view of undeveloped land and rice paddies in the distance and the front for my wife's pot plant garden with a lounging area and a big place to dry clothes...the facade done up with dark tiles at tutsi's suggestion, sorta looks like a torture chamber with flowers on the first floor...:)

the ground floor forecourt for parking motorbikes and the motorbike sidecar arrangement that I use with my entourage to tour the surroundings and 'to say hello' to friends and neighbors, dispensing cigarettes, sweets and good cheer...'please, get up and don't soil yer clothes...'