Secret Of Thailand's Success? It's The Women:

usatrader

Secret of Thailand's Success? It's the Women: William Pesek Jr.

March 21 (Bloomberg) -- It's a question officials here in Asia are being posed more and more: Why are your economies so vibrant?

Answers include young and swelling populations, decreased debt, growing cities, emerging middle-class consumer sectors, evolving markets and, of course, China's rise.

Add this to that list: Women and their increasing role in Asia's economies. The idea is that the more opportunities women have, the more vibrant economies are and, consequently, the less need there is to amass a huge public debt to boost growth.

It's an idea bolstered by a new survey by MasterCard International Inc., which compares the socioeconomic level of women with men in 13 Asia-Pacific nations. The gauge uses four key indicators: participation in the labor force, college education, managerial positions and above-median income.

Which Asian nation is doing best when it comes to women's advancement? Thailand. It scored 92.3 of a possible 100, and according to MasterCard's index, 100 equals gender equality. The survey was based on interviews with 300 to 350 women in 13 nations and national statistics.

Malaysia came in second with a score of 86.2, while China came in third with 68.4. The average score in Asia was 67.7. At the bottom of the list is South Korea (45.5), followed by Indonesia (52.5) and Japan (54.5).

Future of Asia

Perhaps it's a bizarre coincidence, yet MasterCard's findings fit quite neatly with two important issues in Asia: economic leadership and debt.

Thailand, Malaysia and China are three economies widely seen as the future of Asia. Thailand's economic boom in recent years has prompted many leaders in the region to look to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's growth strategy, known as ``Thaksinomics.''

Malaysia, which has a female central bank governor, is one of Asia's rising economic powers. China, of course, is the world's hottest economy, and one that's shaking up trade patterns and business decisions everywhere.

Korea

Something all three economies have in common is an above- average level of female participation. What the three worst ranked economies share are severe long-term economic challenges of high levels of debt and a female workforce that's being neglected.

``Research in economic history is very conclusive on the role of women in economic growth and development,'' says Yuwa Hedrick-Wong, an economic adviser to MasterCard. ``The more extensive women's participation at all areas of economic activities, the higher the probability for stronger economic growth.''

That, Hedrick-Wong says, means ``societies and economies that consistently fail to fully incorporate women's ability and talent in businesses and the workplace will suffer the consequences.''

Take Korea, which has been walking in place economically in recent years. Immediately following the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis, Korea became a regional role model as growth boomed and unemployment fell. Yet a massive increase in household debt left consumers overexposed and growth slowed.

Form of Rebellion

Maybe it's a just coincidence that Korea also ranks low on measures of gender equality published by the United Nations. As of 2003, for example, it ranked below Honduras, Paraguay, Mauritius and Ukraine in terms of women's economic and political empowerment. Utilizing more of its female workforce would deepen Korea's labor pool and increase potential growth rates in the economy.

The same goes for Japan. The reluctance of Asia's biggest economy to increase female participation and let more women into the executive suite exacerbates its biggest long-term challenge: a declining birthrate. In 2003, the number of children per Japanese woman fell to a record low of 1.29 versus about 2 in the early 1970s. Preliminary government statistics suggest the rate declined further in 2004.

The trend is nothing short of a crisis for a highly indebted nation of 126 million that has yet to figure out how to fund the national pension system down the road. Yet Japan has been slow to realize that for many women, the decision to delay childbirth is a form of rebellion against societal expectations to have children and become housewives.

Annan and Women

It may be 2005, yet having children is a career-ending decision for millions of bright, ambitious and well-educated Japanese. Until corrected, Japan's birthrate will drop and economic growth will lag.

UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan was absolutely right earlier this month when he said ``no other policy is as likely to raise economic productivity'' than the empowerment of women.

Here in Thailand, the government is getting some decent marks in this regard and the economy's 6-percent-plus growth rate may be a direct result. Thailand still has a long way to go. Women's representation in national politics is a work in progress, as are Thailand's efforts to curtail human trafficking and its thriving sex trade.

Yet the Bank of Thailand's deputy governor, Tarisa Watanagase, is a woman, as are seven of nine assistant governors. And then there's Jada Wattanasiritham, who runs Siam Commercial Bank Pcl, Thailand's fourth-biggest lender. How many female chief executives can you name in Japan or Korea?

Looked at broadly in Asia, MasterCard's survey -- based on interviews with 300-350 women in 13 nations and national statistics -- is on to something. It's that giving women more opportunities to contribute to an economy isn't just about fairness, but dollars and sense, too.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...id=aL7IcVmTk9JU

THA T

IS

ALL!

Thailand, Malaysia and China are three economies widely seen as the future of Asia. Thailand's economic boom in recent years has prompted many leaders in the region to look to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's growth strategy, known as ``Thaksinomics.''

Well, there goes the report's credibility. Thaksinomics is a joke now. The Bangkok Post called it "fake capitalism" yesterday.

I've seen a similar report before, but it pointed out that while Thailand does have a high percentage of women in senior management, many are proxies for their husband in smaller family-owned businesses.

• 2 weeks later...

I agee,and I think its Asian Women given a chance generaly.

I see a lot of Asian Students and grads in AU and NZ in various businesses and courses.

I think by far the women are smarter and more focused ,than the overly spoilt sons.

I think its because they have to work harder as the Number one son gets everything on a plate, and the girls are usualy left to struggle.

Actually, I work at two companies and have Thai women bosses at both of them!  It's true that one woman is the number two person in her husband's company, but the other started her company from scratch (with some seed money from her husband).

I was talking to an Australian engineer on a jobsite near Chiang Mai a couple years back and I remarked that there were alot of women in their 40s and 50s doing labourer work. His reasons were that they worked alot harder than the men in their 20s and 30s. I've had Thai men, and women work for me in New Zealand, and there's definitly a difference in the work ethic between the sexes, and not one that was very favourable to the men either.

Give me a Thai woman as an employee over almost anyone else any day :o

cv

I was talking to an Australian engineer on a jobsite near Chiang Mai a couple years back and I remarked that there were alot of women in their 40s and 50s doing labourer work. His reasons were that they worked alot harder than the men in their 20s and 30s. I've had Thai men, and women work for me in New Zealand, and there's definitly a difference in the work ethic between the sexes, and not one that was very favourable to the men either.

cv

The men from the Philippines are generally hard working too - and very loyal.

cv

In my experience this applies to the women from the Philippines and Vietnam too, not forgetting that the women of PNG are classed by the PNG male as beasts of burden. :D

cv

The men from the Philippines are generally hard working too - and very loyal.

The Phillipines is a Mattriach Society. Sorry Boon Mee I am sure there are some hard working (males) in the Phillipines - after 19 years the seach goes on - lack oftechnical competence (common sense) and the use of "Bought" qualifications has turned me into a doubter about the males of this beautiful country. :D

The Phillipines is a Mattriach Society. Sorry Boon Mee I am sure there are some hard working (males) in the Phillipines - after 19 years the seach goes on - lack oftechnical competence (common sense) and the use of "Bought" qualifications has turned me into a doubter about the males of this beautiful country. :o

They are highly regarded as sailors and rig workers. Maybe they're just better on the water.

cv

The Phillipines is a Mattriach Society. Sorry Boon Mee I am sure there are some hard working (males) in the Phillipines - after 19 years the seach goes on - lack oftechnical competence (common sense) and the use of "Bought" qualifications has turned me into a doubter about the males of this beautiful country. :o

They are highly regarded as sailors and rig workers. Maybe they're just better on the water.

cv

And that's been my experience with them.

Everyone from Chief Engineer (Unlimited) on down have been Hands in my experience.

--aside from a couple who hailed from the island of Mindanao(sp)--

We have 3 female employees, not because the men on the island don't like to work (well, obviously some do, some don't) but many believe that this kind of work is "woman's work". Major exception seems to be the Muslim husband of one of our staff who doesn't mind pitching in washing dishes, helping her clean rooms when she isn't well and he can cook too! (yes, its true!)

It seems to me I've seen some incredibly hard working men and some incredibly lazy ones with quite a few riding somewhere in the middle. Problem is, the hardworking ones are off working so are rarely seen while the lazy ones are highly visible. Same goes true with a lot of the women too. My mother-in-law admires me because I am willing to go help with the coconuts, cut the weeds in the coconut gardens etc. Whereas alot of the women don't like to do that kind of labor.

I hate to sound like I am turning into an old fogey but, at least here, alot of the younger people seem to expect an easy life and are no longer willing to work as hard as their parents did.

I hate to sound like I am turning into an old fogey but, at least here, alot of the younger people seem to expect an easy life and are no longer willing to work as hard as their parents did.

Unfortunately this seems to be a global phenomonon :o

cv

SBK & CV here here Australia is certainly in that boat. there will be some who say it relates to good parenting etc etc - that aside - the younger generation are in a hurry - instant life styles (houses, cars) and of course the 80/20 rule applies - only 20% own what they "Use" the banks and finance companies own the other 80%. :o is certainly the buzz word.

Which Asian nation is doing best when it comes to women's advancement? Thailand. It scored 92.3 of a possible 100, and according to MasterCard's index, 100 equals gender equality. The survey was based on interviews with 300 to 350 women in 13 nations and national statistics.

Malaysia came in second with a score of 86.2, while China came in third with 68.4. The average score in Asia was 67.7. At the bottom of the list is South Korea (45.5), followed by Indonesia (52.5) and Japan (54.5).

Khun Pesek is a bit clueless.

There is no way to compare the highly educated women of Japan with Thai women and rank the Thais higher. Maybe it is the Thai men rank so low the thai women seem higher I don't know. Another Thailand illusion maybe.

I agrre with most of what is being said on this thread, but cannot help to think the whole report is rather naive in trying to conclude that the said economies are booming as a result of the % of women involved.

Of course, the more women active in the economy, the higher the overall % of the population that is active. This alone boosts the economy.

Women are increasingly active in most economies, even poor old Africa...

First, I think the economies of non-Muslim countries, where women are freer to participate and contribute, have a huge advantage over Muslim countries that restrict females in so many ways.

In Thailand, the women generally seem much more capable and honest than the guys. As a current example, there is Khunying Jaruwan, the auditor who was doing her job too well of stopping Thai guy corruption and theft of taxpayer money. She scared the political thieves so much that they fell all over themselves to remove her. Now the dudes in government are looking increasingly silly as they still try to neuter her.

During my teaching days in Thai classrooms, it was quickly apparent that the women far outclassed the male students, with rare exceptions. The average class was about two-thirds female, and the Thai guys tended to copy their homework.

In workplaces, the women usually have the responsible jobs such as handling money as bank tellers (while the guys stand around in security guard uniforms) and supermarket cashiers (while the guys put groceries in bags). So much of what passes as work done by Thai guys involves basically putting on a uniform and doing little or nothing, though some are adept at blowing whistles loudly. Then of course there is the huge number of Thai males who do nothing but drive around all day on their motos, in tuktuks and taxis, contributing to Bkk.s eternal traffic jams. IMHO, Thailand desperately needs to empower its women even more, as they are by far the best and the brightest in this society.

Khun Pesek is a bit clueless.

There is no way to compare the highly educated women of Japan with Thai women and rank the Thais higher. Maybe it is the Thai men rank so low the thai women seem higher I don't know. Another Thailand illusion maybe.

Women in Thailand also rank higher than women in Japan on the UNDP's gender equality index. I guess the UN is also clueless ...

Education is a separate issue (though there again Thai women rank high in gender parity). Compare the female-male ratios of lawyers, doctors and dentists in Thailand with the ratio in Japan, and if the the UNDP's rankings are valid, Thailand will have more female professionals than Japan, proportionally.

• 2 weeks later...
If I were a Thai woman, sbk's comment about a superiority attitude might mean something.  Since I am a farang, I am only writing about what I see every day, and read aboout in the newspapers.

I disagree, the worst attitudes towards Thai men I have seen have invariably come from farang men who have somehow decided that Thai men are inferior and farang men superior. Often these are the same people who like to post that farang women are inferior and Thai women superior. What most fail to realize is that everyone has a different experience in life and one cannot judge another person or entire group of people by a few people's bad experiences. And, of course, if I based my entire experience on farang men from what I see every day and read in the newspapers I might come to the conclusion that farang men are generally piss-heads and drug dealers.

If I were a Thai woman, sbk's comment about a superiority attitude might mean something.  Since I am a farang, I am only writing about what I see every day, and read aboout in the newspapers.

I disagree, the worst attitudes towards Thai men I have seen have invariably come from farang men who have somehow decided that Thai men are inferior and farang men superior. Often these are the same people who like to post that farang women are inferior and Thai women superior. What most fail to realize is that everyone has a different experience in life and one cannot judge another person or entire group of people by a few people's bad experiences. And, of course, if I based my entire experience on farang men from what I see every day and read in the newspapers I might come to the conclusion that farang men are generally piss-heads and drug dealers.

I resent that - am a farang and I do not deal in drugs! :o

WS

Nice one, 100% agree. :o

The Thai men I have worked with are not inferior but they do seem to be amazingly touchy, moody and occasionally lazy. I had one chap who slept at this desk and another who would throw a temper tantrum when asked to do work. They were both significantly older than me.

The women, on the whole, are more willing to adapt and knuckle down.

And I do not blame you if you think farangs are all drug users or hooligans. In England a large percentage are.

No Question

Just take a good look around

Thai women in the main run the businesses here in Sydney that I know of.

Men as hard working managers do exist but they are the significant minority.

The Thai men I have worked with are not inferior but they do seem to be amazingly touchy, moody and occasionally lazy. I had one chap who slept at this desk and another who would throw a temper tantrum when asked to do work. They were both significantly older than me.

The women, on the whole, are more willing to adapt and knuckle down.

And I do not blame you if you think farangs are all drug users or hooligans. In England a large percentage are.

Here, where I live, the shops are generally run by the women, mainly because the ones who have husbands that work, the husbands are out working. Obviously, you have your lazy ones, gamblers etc. But I suspect as Thai women become more educated and aware this will decline.

We have two thai men in my company at the moment. The one that used to sleep at his desk was forcibly made to resign.

Out of the remaining two we have one gem who is paid next to nothing and is willing to work really hard and we have one moody git who is paid far too much and works when he feels like it. He tried to leave the office yestereday at 4pm because "he had stuff to do". Earlier in the week he just dispappeared because he had to check on his motorbike and last week he took two days holiday and came back a week later.

I am truely flabbergasted at the differences between the two men.

Edited by jimbob

Absolutely SBK, the notion that ALL Thai men are lazy etc is a farang based conception. I challenge you farang men to come and work where I live for a month, cutting wood, gathering coconuts, dragging in fishing boats and sure..... eating three spicy curries a day.

I'll give you my phone number if you want to try and we'll make it a story!

Seonai