Air Asia Is A Joke !

olsen

How can Air Asia call themselves a "low-cost-carrier"?

Today I checked their prices from Krabi to Bangkok, since I have a flight out of Thailand from BKK with Thai Airways 1.30 AM early next week.

On Air Asia's website I found 2 flights: One at noon arriving BKK 1.15 PM and one departing 7.05 PM and arriving BKK 8.15.

Same price for both flights appx. 2,000 THB including luggage.

Then I went to my travel agency to book the flight arriving at BKK 8.15.

Then the travel agent called Air Asia and checked their Amadeus ticket system and told me the price was 3,990 THB plus if I wanted to bring luggage the price was around 400 THB for 20 kilo.

I asked why the website said 2,000 but now they double the price?

They replied me that the flight 12.05 was 2,000 THB but the evening flight was 4,390 THB.

I said, OK, no thanks....and then I booked a flight with Thai Airways including 20 kilo luggage for 3,100 THB arriving in BKK at 8.30 PM.

So in this case Thai Airways was 1,200 THB cheaper than Air Asia for the same fligt at the same time!

Can anyone explain this?

Air Asia is a joke!

This is not the first time I´ve experienced this...once in Phuket I paid 1,300 THB less for a flight to BKK at the same time!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ so right, they can be good if you have plans well in advance

we fly Bangkok - Phnom Penh later this month, back a week later. Booked December 2010

580 baht per person return, plus the standard airport taxes which cannot be discounted.

As Robblok as said, the good deals are to be had when you book ahead - last minute the prices are genrally the same or sometimes more expensive. The last few flights I've taken to Singapore have been last minute, and I've used Cathay and SQ as they were cheaper than Air Asia.

But still, everybody can fly - if you pay.

Couldn´t plan ahead since my trip was decided yesterday :-)

Even if I could I would still´ve done the same as I did today.

Buy at the "last minute".

Thai Airways´ website told me their price for a return ticket from BKK to Copenhagen was 47,000 THB.

I didn´t want to pay that, so I asked my travel agent look for a "last minute deal"...and she offered me the same ticket at only 36,000 THB. That´s a great deal for a direct flight. Flight time only 11 hours.

Also I asked her to check Turkish Airlines, since they sometimes have good deals, but was told that the price was 42,000 THB and a stop over in Turkie. Total flight time 17 hours :-(

I often, not to say always, get some very good last minute deals with Thai Airways.

Strange that Air Asia chose to double the prices at the last minute. Do they rather want to fly with empty seats rather than selling at normal prices?

I still think Air Asia is a joke :-D

You went to a travel agent to book an Air Asia flight?????? Well we know who's the joke!

Who is the joke? You??

Tell me then how I can book a flight with Air Asia online with no credit card?

If you think the travel agent tried to cheat me, then why did she sell me a ticket from BKK to Copenhagen at 36,000 THB when it was officially priced on Thai Airways´ website at 47,000 THB?

Yes, we know who´s the joke :-D

I just booked a flight krabi to bkk 2 days ago I fly tommorow cost 1600 + few xtrs came in at just under 2000 bht

seems low cost to me

Yup, that is low cost :-) I bet you take the flight departing 12.05 then....and bring no luggage?

I was offered that price for this flight too today...plus the luggage fee...but I didn´t want to wait 13 hours in BKK ;-)

You can pay at 7/11 for Air Asia tickets.

From the website

Over the counter payments

Thailand Baht • 7-Eleven outlets

• K-Bank

• Siam Commercial Bank

Wow...I didn´t know that....will remember next time...then I might get a better price. Thanks for the info, very helpful :-)

Huh. Whats wrong with you? You can still book Krabi to BKK next week for 2253 baht (or cheaper) including 20kg luggage and credit card fee. I think your travel agent is trying to rip the shit out of you.

NEVER GO TO A TRAVEL AGENT TO BOOK AIR ASIA - BOOK ONLINE ON THEIR WEBSITE ALWAYS. END OF STORY.

Huh. Whats wrong with you? You can still book Krabi to BKK next week for 2253 baht (or cheaper) including 20kg luggage and credit card fee. I think your travel agent is trying to rip the shit out of you.

NEVER GO TO A TRAVEL AGENT TO BOOK AIR ASIA - BOOK ONLINE ON THEIR WEBSITE ALWAYS. END OF STORY.

The OP is now aware he can pay at 7/11, he does not possess a CC.

Hi Olsen, frustrating right…. I know, but even knowing doesn’thelp something, if your one of the lucky people who can book months ahead, well,good for you.

The problem Olsen is that airlines in general don’t view you turning up at the last minute to save them flying with an empty seat……No, they

see you as someone who needs to fly at short notice……….And as such, believe you need tofill the seat more than they do and will pay.

I know it’s a pisser! But what you gonna do?

Huh...what´s wrong with you? Calling me a joke just because I am not as "smart" as you with your credit card!

If my travel agent wanted to rip me off, why didn´t she sell me the Thai Airways ticket at full price then?

Why was Air Asia from Phuket to BKK 1,300 THB more expensive than Thai Airways when I tried to buy over the counter at the airport recently? Did they also try to rip the shit out of me?

But thanks for the advice about booking online :-)

I don't understand, you checked online for flights with air asia and both quoted as being the same price (approx 2000b), you went into travel agency and they tried to stooge you on the flight you wanted so you went home and rather than book online the flight you wanted for "approx 2000b" you chose to go with Thai for 1200b more ??

EDIT: my bad, OP don't got no plastic.

Edited by Spoonman

Running down Air Asia for his own stupidity is a bit rich.

Yeah, man, I am so bloody stupid that I believe in Air Asia´s BS: Now everyone can fly....

So, clever guy, mr. Superior, how long time do you think Air Asia will last with their last minute doubling their prices, when a customer at the airport just can walk 20 meter to the next counter and buy a ticket to BKK that is 50% less than the price offered at Air Asia´s counter for a last minute flight?

I did that recently in Phuket and was followed by at least 5 people waiting in line after me! You would probably have brought your laptop and used the wireless connection to visit Air Asia´s website and booket it for 2,xxx THB even they at the counter refused to sell at less than 4,390, right?

I don't understand, you checked online for flights with air asia and both quoted as being the same price (approx 2000b), you went into travel agency and they tried to stooge you on the flight you wanted so you went home and rather than book online the flight you wanted for "approx 2000b" you chose to go with Thai for 1200b more ??

EDIT: my bad, OP don't got no plastic.

He he, Yup...got no CC...and I also booked and paid for the Thai Airways ticket BKK-Copenhagen....saved 11,000 THB on that flight...so thought it was better to go with Thai Airways from Krabi to BKK rather than pay 1,200 THB more for an Air Asia ticket. Of course I could´ve booked the 12.05 flight with Air Asia but I didn´t wanna wait nearly 13 hours in BKK....the shorter time I spend in BKK the better.....BKK is not my cup of tea :-D

Edited by olsen

You went to a travel agent to book an Air Asia flight?????? Well we know who's the joke!

Who is the joke? You??

Tell me then how I can book a flight with Air Asia online with no credit card?

hahah <deleted> you dont have any creditcard? you been living in a cave for the last 50 years :lol:hahaha

U must be on the Wednesday evening flight out of Krabi, cause all the other AA flights are cheaper than Thai

Obviously the AA Wed evening flight is almost full, so any remaining seats are at their top dollar.

How much do u think u would be paying if AA hadn't started up and spawned all the other discount carriers in SE Asia.

Remember the Singapore Airlines/Malaysian Airlines shuttle duopoly on SIN to KUL at around $200 us, thats ten years ago, now u can do it for under $40us.

Air Asia ain't no joke.

Anyway you're sorted now, enjoy your flights. Better get a CC. :-)

Worldwide, low cost carriers start months ahead selling the cheap seats. If you want to travel at an off peak period six months from now, you'll get a great deal. However, remember that we are talking about a low cost carrier, not a low FARE carrier. If all their fares were rock bottom, they'd soon go bust.

By contrast, full service carriers like THAI, Cathay etc sometimes see they have a far from full flight departing tomorrow, and offer last minute low fares to try and make a bit more revenue. Why not cancel that flight? Perhaps the return leg is booked solid.

I agree, airasia sucks and you can get better deals from other airlines. I was just looking at flights to Japan for August and each way was about 8600baht not including tax!!!!!!! I checked H.I.S Tours and they have a promotion with Cathay Pacific for 16000baht roundtrip although not including taxes, you get in-flight meals, great service, average seating and in-flight entertainment AND NO BAGGAGE FEE! Last year I got an even better deal with Vietnam Airlines for 14000baht r/t to Japan. I've flown with Air Asia once before and it sucked..seems like with all the extra fees you end up paying you're better off booking through a different airline.

There are a few a simple answers to the OP's problems and an easy explanation.. Airlines are not making huge profits. Fuel costs are sky rocketing. Airlines need to have full flights to make any profit at all. They have a juggling match to pre-determine what flights are going to be full and what ones they can fill up at the last moment. They offer incentives for prior booking on low usage flights. Just because the OP CHOOSES not to have a valid credit card is not the airlines problem. And besides that the OP is quibling over over about a $50 difference in flight costs. Try flying in Canada where flight costs for the same distance are triple or quadruple what they are in Thailand.

I have just booked return tickets to KL from Singapore to fly in October on Air Asia, the cost of the ticket was SG$16 (THB 380)!!

Add on the tax, seat, insurance and it bumps it up a bit.

I have also experienced trying to get flights with no credit card, it ain't easy and you are forced to use travel agents. Anyone tried to get a credit card in Thailand, in your name, when you are not working? Not easy is it?

I have never had one in my home country and as I don't live there, that is almost impossible to do also ( address with utiliy bills, etc. ) then a personel interview.

Yes its easy to lie and say this and that, but isn't that illegal?

When I leave this place I will have to surrender the credit card and will be back to using travel agents again :rolleyes:

Soihok - see you at MotoGP in KL, October, still haven't booked my accomm, waiting to hear from a friend who cannot make up his mind on attending.

Your $16 fare - beats my 990 baht fares from Bangkok - but still a bargain

Maybe separate threads where we can list good experiences with AA. ??

We used them for international flights 6 times in 2010, and one internal flight Bkk-Chiang Mai; no complaints.

We travel light - under the 7kg carry-on allowance, and don't care if we're seated together or apart.

Booked my KL flights in their December sale, same time as next week's flights to Phnom Penh (580b return)

I check other airline websites, skyscanner is useful, but only once (Air Malaysia) has anyone beaten AA prices - bearing in mind my bookings always 6+ months in advance

:) Cheers Genghis.

See you there, we are staying at the Concorde Inn at Sepang. I have stayed there before and the location is perfect, the hotel is good enough while not breaking the bank.

Will be there with my missus, youngest girl (3), my brother and friend.

Cheers.

I have used Air Asia for years, the only gripe I had was when they first started and you didn't have an assigned seat which made boarding a bit like an Indian Bus station scramble. Not ideal when you have kids.

Other than that, I use Tiger Airlines a lot and they sell beer too :D