PM's Leadership Index On Slight Decline, With Opposition Candidate Climbing:

Lite Beer

Survey: PM's leadership index on slight decline, with opposition candidate climbing

BANGKOK, May 22 -- The leadership index of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is on the slight decline while his main challenger for the prime minister portfolio in a general election to be held July 3, Yingluck Shinawatra of the opposition Puea Thai Party, is rising in every category, according to a recent survey conducted by ABAC Poll.

Noppadol Kannikar, director of ABAC Poll, said the survey conducted for the second time between May 16-21 among 2,332 people aged over 18 in 17 provinces nationwide showed that the leadership index of Miss Yingluck, who ranks first on the party list of Puea Thai Party in the upcoming general election, has increased significantly from the first round of surveys held recently in comparison to Mr. Abhisit.

According to the latest survey, polled perception of her emotional control has risen to 16.2 from 9.7 earlieพ, acceptance from both within inside and outside the country jumped to 17.7 from 11.3, display of leadership increased to 20.4 from 12.9 and political ethics ballooned to 16.4 from 11.

In an honesty category, Miss Yinglick scored 14.7 from 10.3 and earned 21.3 from 15.6 in making quick decision in solving problems, the survey showed.

Mr. Abhisit's leadership index, meanwhile, has slightly dropped in almost every category in the latest survey. His emotional control slipped to 51.5 from 53.7 earlier, acceptance within the country and overseas fell to 47 from 49.6, and political ethics narrowed to 44.3 from 46.9. Display of leadership rose slightly to 48.5 from 48.1.

The survey showed perception of his honesty remained unchanged at 42.9 and he scored 35.8, compared to 36.2 earlier, in making quick decision in solving problems.

Out of the total respondents, 59.4 per cent wanted to see a debate between the two persons so that they could make better decisions when casting ballots on the election day.

Miss Yingluck is the youngest sister of fugitive, ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra who is now living in self-imposed exile mostly in Dubai. He was sentenced to two years imprisonment for a land purchase deal by his then-wife in Bangkok's prime business area while in power. Several other charges against him are still pending in court. Mr. Thaksin was ousted from power following a bloodless coup on September 19, 2006. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2022-05-22

ABAC Poll: Yingluck outshines Abhisit

By Sodchuen Limkriangkrai.

BANGKOK, 22 May 2011 (NNT) – A survey conducted by the ABAC poll suggests that there are strong similarities between Abhisit Vejjajiva and Yingluck Shinawatra in terms leadership image. However, despite the growing interest of politics among adolescences, The Democrat leader is trailing behind the Phue Thai number 1 candidate in terms of popularity.

According to the poll, Ms. Yingluck had advanced in factors such as tolerance, emotional control, acceptance by the public. Moral stature also rose from 9.8% to 15.9 % as well as leadership, from 12.9 % to 20.4%. Ability and performance in the role also increased from 10.9% to 16.7 % and visionary attributes rose from 15.2 % to a 21.7 % preference.

In addition, 59.4% of those surveyed preferred a debate by the two politicians in order to seek greater assurance for their vote in the upcoming public election. Moreover, a dual debate of intellect and capabilities should guarantee their potential to fulfill the role as Prime Minister.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05022 footer_n.gif

Moral stature also rose from 9.8% to 15.9 %

Shouldn't that be 'moral pygmy'?

What has she done that deserves such derogatory remarks...is it just because she belongs to the Thaksin family....

If you dislike Thaksin go after HIM... :bah:

What has she done that deserves such derogatory remarks...is it just because she belongs to the Thaksin family....

Maybe he did. Isn't k. Yingluck a clone of k. Thaksin ?

Last week Yingluck wasn't a candidate. How has she risen from anything but zero?

She has walked around wai-ing and has said a few speeches in front of red shirts and Pheu Thai supporters.

earned 21.3 from 15.6 in making quick decision in solving problems

What kinds of problems has she actually had to deal with?

This kind of information is better presented in a table.

Leadership category                        Yingluck Abhisit
-----------------------------------------------------------
emotional control                          16.2     51.5
acceptance within the country and overseas 17.7     47  
display of leadership                      20.4     48.5
political ethics                           16.4     44.3
honesty                                    14.7     42.9
making quick decision in solving problems  21.3     35.8
Average                                    17.8     45

Abhisit still beats Yingluck by far in all categories. The positive spin in the article is in reference to the rate of change of the scores, not the absolute values of the scores.

Edited by hyperdimension

Last week Yingluck wasn't a candidate. How has she risen from anything but zero?

She has walked around wai-ing and has said a few speeches in front of red shirts and Pheu Thai supporters.

She dealt with all those pesky people asking nasty questions without bursting out in tears. The smile seems a bit more frozen I must admit ;)

Or his clone that aided and abetted his attempts to conceal assets.

He put her in the hot seat, she accepted that tainted chalice,

she has to take the lumps too

Edited by animatic

emotional control                          16.2 	51.5
acceptance within the country and overseas 17.7 	47  
display of leadership                      20.4 	48.5
political ethics                   		16.4 	44.3
honesty                                    14.7 	42.9
making quick decision in solving problems  21.3 	35.8
Average                                    17.8 	45

Abhisit still beats Yingluck by far in all categories. The positive spin in the article is in reference to the rate of change of the scores, not the absolute values of the scores.

If this is a "Nomination Bump" coming from her naming as list #1 and the HUGE publicity splash that has heralded this ascension to Mt. Olympus..., then this is really rather meager.

And most certainly her numbers are paltry in direct comparison.

And far from a debatable polling error in any category.

Edited by animatic

She dealt with all those pesky people asking nasty questions without bursting out in tears. The smile seems a bit more frozen I must admit ;)

That's more to do with the "emotional control" category. What problems has she had to solve that has required "making quick decisions"? It is the category in which she scored the highest, jumping from 15.6 since the first time the survey was conducted.

The article does not mention the date of the first survey; does anyone know?

Edited by hyperdimension

Notice that Abhisit scored lowest in "making quick decision in solving problems". It may be because people believe that he took too long in deciding to have the Ratchaprasong protest area cleared in May 2010. My opinion though is that careful and calculated decisions are less risky than hasty snap decisions, especially when a lot of people are going to be affected.

Notice also that Yingluck scores lowest in the "honesty" category. I think it's self-explanatory.

The article does not mention the date of the first survey; does anyone know?

Assuming the surveys put PM candidates next to each other, the first survey must have been AFTER Ms. Yngluck asked PTP to put her on the party list. So the 10th of this month at the earliest. Two surveys in 12 days, the second time between May 16-21 :ermm:

Edited by rubl

How does this work? Are they rated out of 100 or something? It's surprising YL is rated so low, because you'd think PT voters would by default give YL at least an average score. I guess we also need to take the 'silent majority' into account; I'm not saying YL deserves to be higher. Actually we don't really know much about her yet. It'd also be interesting to know the voting intentions of those polled.

MCOT putting a positive spin on YL's performance? Guess they're hedging their bets, now that there's a good chance PT will be back.

The crucial figures are; "Asked which party they would vote for in the party list system, 41.22 per cent said they would vote for Pheu Thai, 36.88 per cent for the Democrat Party, 3.88 per cent for Bhumjaithai, and 9.27 per cent still undecided."

I can't wait for the reactions of the red bashers when their golden boy gets beaten by Thaksin's clone.

Who said it was derogatory? Try developing a sense of humour will you. With 15% "moral standing", what should the other 85% be called?

The crucial figures are; "Asked which party they would vote for in the party list system, 41.22 per cent said they would vote for Pheu Thai, 36.88 per cent for the Democrat Party, 3.88 per cent for Bhumjaithai, and 9.27 per cent still undecided."

I can't wait for the reactions of the red bashers when their golden boy gets beaten by Thaksin's clone.

I suspect though that the majority of undecided voters who will eventually vote, will vote Dem.

I base this on the hypothesis that undecided voters clearly don't respect the PTP enough to forgive or tolerate those actions of PTP or red shirt leaders/supporters which some posters on this forum have been shoving down our throats on a continual daily basis.

As such, there's about as much chance of them voting PTP as Bucholz, jdinasia or timekeeper et al.

In my opinion.

That's not this poll. That's the Suan Dusit poll.

based on the reverse premise, will it mean that you will fade away into obscurity again?

I suspect though that the majority of undecided voters who will eventually vote, will vote Dem.

I base this on the hypothesis that undecided voters clearly don't respect the PTP enough to forgive or tolerate those actions of PTP or red shirt leaders/supporters which some posters on this forum have been shoving down our throats on a continual daily basis.

As such, there's about as much chance of them voting PTP as Bucholz, jdinasia or timekeeper et al.

In my opinion.

Assuming those chaps you list have no voting rights in Thailand you must be 100% correct. Congratulations on this perfect score :)

BTW I hope neither your appetite nor your health has suffered ?

In my opinion.

Some of the 'undecideds' might be decided, but not want to reveal their voting intentions, for whatever reason. Not convinced by your hypothesis, might be true of some - but if they're still undecided after all that's happened (and how do you know they won't be more upset by the deaths of unarmed civilians etc?) then the chances are that they're more interested in the policy proposals and current campaigning of the two parties, rather than past events.

In my opinion.

Some of the 'undecideds' might be decided, but not want to reveal their voting intentions, for whatever reason. Not convinced by your hypothesis, might be true of some - but if they're still undecided after all that's happened (and how do you know they won't be more upset by the deaths of unarmed civilians etc?) then the chances are that they're more interested in the policy proposals and current campaigning of the two parties, rather than past events.

Okay, you may well be right. I think I'm spending too much time exposed to anti-red zealotry and it's having its desired effect. I'm coming down with Loss of Objectivity coupled with intermittent bouts of Vicarious Superiority.

Help! I'm being brainwashed by repetitive posting on Thai Visa!

Ahem....time for a break, I fancy. Ta-ra.

emotional control                          16.2 	51.5
acceptance within the country and overseas 17.7 	47  
display of leadership                      20.4 	48.5
political ethics                       	16.4 	44.3
honesty                                    14.7 	42.9
making quick decision in solving problems  21.3 	35.8
Average                                    17.8 	45

That certainly shows a different light than the article as it was titled :)

Before last week ... people were still guessing about the PTP candidate .. now they know. Overall they don't seem to approve of Thaksin's "clone" at all.

Pheu Thai takes early lead: poll

By The Nation

30155973-01.jpg

Surveys show Yingluck starts well while PM Abhisit's leadership rating may have slipped

Pheu Thai Party's candidate to be premier, Yingluck Shinawatra, was tipped by opinion polls to be the front-runner to take the top job in the next government, while Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's approval rating was on the decline at the end of the first week of campaigning.

The Pheu Thai polled 41 per cent, while the Democrats won backing from just under 37 per cent, according to results released by Dusit Poll yesterday.

Yingluck's leadership rating was on the way up while Prime Minister Abhisit was on the slide, according to an Abac poll released yesterday.

The Abac Poll showed Abhisit's leadership index had seen a drop in all aspects, especially in the view of the 'new generation', from 42.8 to 36.

Yingluck's leadership index, in contrast, had risen in all aspects such as tolerance and control of emotions - from 9.7 to 16.2; politeness - from 13 to 21.9 per cent; international acceptance - from 11.3 to 17.7; a good role model - from 9.8 to 15.9, generosity - from 13.1 to 20.6; leadership - from 12.9 to 20.4; and competence - from 10.9 to 16.7.

However, the pollsters said that results of the survey on leadership between Yingluck and Abhisit showed no significant difference as the poll allowed an error margin of plus or minus seven points.

The Dusit Poll entitled: "Which party will you vote for from on the party list?" was conducted with 3,584 respondents from May 19-22, after all 26 parties drew lots on May 19 to get a number that will represent their party in the party-list system.

An Abac poll of 2,300 respondents from May 16-21 in 17 provinces across the country indicated that Yingluck had swayed votes in her favour from people who had been undecided. They seemed to have made a decision after getting more information about Yingluck.

Of the total, 59 per cent wanted to see a debate between Abhisit and Yingluck so they could have more information on which to make their decision. They also wanted to know the vision of the prime ministerial candidates, to judge who is more quick-witted and more competent to solve the country's problems.

The survey suggested Yingluck could get more votes if she followed the model of her brother - fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra - by living in a tent at Art Samart district in Roi Et to hear complaints from rural villagers. Thaksin's popularity rating skyrocketed after conducting a virtual reality show at the village.

Pheu Thai Party's deputy leader Kanawat Wasinsangworn said it was rare for a new politician to get such a high approval rating at so early a stage. The poll results reflected the fact people were ready to accept Yingluck as their leader, he said.

"The party made the right decision in choosing Yingluck as the top candidate in the election," he said.

Of 400 respondents to a Twitter poll by The Nation - @jin_nation - 49 per cent voted for Abhisit, 34 per cent for Yingluck, six per cent for Love Thailand Party leader Chuwit Kamolvisit and three per cent for Rak Thai Party's Purachai Piumsomboon. Of the respondents, 8 per cent said they would cast a 'No' vote in the July 3 election. The poll was open for seven hours for vote via Twitter.

The Nation's Facebook poll (Thai Election 2011), which was conducted from May 13 until yesterday, showed 601 respondents voting for Abhisit and 1,821 voting for Yingluck as the next prime minister.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-23

Dusit Poll: What party for you?

Note: The Dusit poll entitled 'Which party will you vote for on the party list?' was conducted with 3,584 respondents from May 19-22.

Country

Pheu Thai: 41.2

Democrat: 36.9

Bhum Jai Thai: 3.9

Chat Thai Pattana: 3.2

Rak Thailand: 1.6

Others: 4.0

Undecided: 6.5

Bangkok

Pheu Thai: 33.3

Democrat: 38.1

Bhum Jai Thai: 1.0

Chat Thai Pattana: 6.0

Rak Thailand: 2.4

Others: 3.6

Undecided: 11.0

Central

Pheu Thai: 36.9

Democrats: 41.2

Bhum Jai Thai: 0.3

Chat Thai Pattana: 3.3

Rak Thailand: 3.1

Others: 4.1

Undecided: 7.5

North

Pheu Thai: 62.8

Democrat: 27.1

Bhum Jai Thai: 0.6

Chat Thai Pattana: 2.2

Rak Thailand: 0.5

Others: 3.4

Undecided: 1.7

Northeast

Pheu Thai: 55.3

Democrat: 19.7

Bhum Jai Thai: 13.0

Chat Thai Pattana: 0.5

Rak Thailand: 1.3

Others: 4.0

Undecided: 4.6

South

Pheu Thai: 8.4

Democrat: 69.4

Bhum Jai Thai: 1.9

Chat Thai Pattana: 5.0

Rak Thailand: 0.4

Others: 4.8

Undecided: 7.6

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-23

three different articles here with three different spins on the same set of statistics.

Reading between the lines...Abhisit still outscores Yingluck convincingly in every department, this is probably due to the fact that she is largely unknown by all of us therefore the I wouldn't read too much into this. Only stat that would matter would be 'confidence in political experience'.

Separately Peua Thai have a few percentage points edge on the Dems, as before, this we know based on the massive numbers among the rural poor, but the difference between the two is less than the margin of error in the survey, less than the number of undecided surveved. But, again, it's rather redundant to the actual outcome considering the spread of constituency MPs, and party list factor.

For sure, there's a bump factor when a candidate is unveiled, and certainly lots of excitement presently at the prospect of an attractive women PM with no 'history' of having to put down an insurgency from protesters (something both Abhisit and Thaksin have had to deal with). Once she's been afforded her moment in the sun, I'm sure her opponents will start coming out with all sorts of dirt on her. The point being, what sort of reliable electorate do we have that a complete newcomer and political lightweight with zero parliament time can gain such support. It's kind of like the Filipino's voting in a popular actor a few years ago, needless to say he turned out to be a disaster and had to be removed within 18 months.

Dusit Poll: What party for you?

Note: The Dusit poll entitled 'Which party will you vote for on the party list?' was conducted with 3,584 respondents from May 19-22.

Even with listing "Others" and "Undecided" there is still between 1.6% and 4.6% not accounted for.

How can anyone take these polls seriously?

In either case both these polling groups have a larger margin of error than they admit too, since neither has a long term reputation for getting it right. And more a long term reputation for finding figures that back up the premise of those who commission the polls.