Htc Magic - Android 1.5 - Need Upgrade To 2.2 And Root

Hi,

I have a HTC Magic Android bought in Hong Kong about 1.5 years back.

Firmware version: 1.5
Kernel version: 2.6.27-5b476e83
Htc-kernel@and18-2 #989
Build number: 3.05.990.6 CL#113543 release-keys

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H 
HBOOT-1.76.0007 (SAPP10000) 
CPLD-12 
RADIO-6.35.07.29
Aug 4 2009,19:43:30

I want it upgraded it to Android 2.2 (Cyanogenmod or any better ones) or any new stable version and Root the phone too.

I have tried every shop in MBK and none of them will do it. But, he quoted the cost of it will be about THB300 to do this... Yet, he say he can't do it.

Can someone please advise where I can do it.. I am not confident enough to do it on my own.. as afraid I may brick the phone and make it useless.

This is HTC Magic

htcmagicvfnz.jpg

Edited by ihightower

Which version do you have? Vodafone?

It does seem like there is an official 2.2.1 ROM available, and you could possibly get it OTA (Over The Air). http://www.androidcentral.com/vodafone-htc-magic-android-221-ota-now-available

Did you ask in an HTC shop? If they won't do it as them for a reference.

I guess I'm surprised you couldn't find anyone to do this for you.

added: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC-Devices/Vodafone-UK-HTC-MAGIC-Android-2-2-1-UPDATED/m-p/632389#M65127

Edited by lomatopo

I did mine 6 months ago I m fairly computer savy and it took me maybe 10 hours, so if you can get someone to do it for 300 baht it s definitly worth it. The risk to brick it is fairly low tho, so you have to chose between wasting time looking for someone to do it or wasting time doing it yourself

Which version do you have? Vodafone?

It does seem like there is an official 2.2.1 ROM available, and you could possibly get it OTA (Over The Air). http://www.androidce...a-now-available

Did you ask in an HTC shop? If they won't do it as them for a reference.

I guess I'm surprised you couldn't find anyone to do this for you.

added: http://forum.vodafon...p/632389#M65127

@lomotapo: Thank you for the links.. However, my phone is not from vodaphone UK.

I bought mine in Hong Kong (smartone-vodaphone).

the page says: You must be on the Stock VF 1.6 firmware
But, I am on 1.5.

Edited: I also found another link on the same page that does this 1.5 -> 1.6 (first)

Then go ahead with 1.6 -> 2.2.1 (second)

However will it work on my phone which is not from UK? Is this safe to do it?

I don't know if those files will work with my phone... as my radio and version may be different too... please check my original posting for these details.

Should I give it a try anyway...? Will it cause any problems.. if the update didn't work?

@brianbritano: Thank you for your post.. wow.. 10 hours to do it..?! Any chance of recovery if I ever bricked it trying to do this..?! I have a computer savvy friend who may assist me on this... but just couldn't take the risk.

Yes.. If you have any recommendations (and verified) for somewhere I can do it.. (other than MBK).. let me know. Thanks.

Edited by ihightower

Should I give it a try anyway...?

IMO, no. That Vodafone forum post was very specific, requiring 1.6. If you are on 1.5 (I missed that detail in your original post) I would not attempt that update.

Maybe you could review some of the forums, and post your specific situation to ask for recommendations?

Quote: Edited: I also found another link on the same page that does this 1.5 -> 1.6 (first)

My main concern is that (I think) the Vodafone-K version has the 32B board while you have the 32A board. In some of the rooting videos they specifically call out different software based on which board you have. Hence using these Vodafone-UK files might not work.

I'm not sure what to recommend; I think you may have to try this yourself, with or without help. I guess you could keep looking at mobile repair counter shops in all the malls, not just MBK. Also, ask for a reference when they say no, "do you know anyone who can do this for me?". Also, if you have a Thai friend you could ask them to post the inquiry in some of the social forums like pantip.com and sanook.

I did find these HTC Magic rooting and loading custom ROM videos on Youtube...

It's fairly straightforward as long as you back everything up.

I have put Darkey's rom on my Android and it takes about 20 mins but most of that is backing up and downloading files.

It is quite hard to brick your phone and they send you step by step instructions on how to upgrade your rom.

Do a google search for Darkey's Rom and you will find the forums etc people will have tried your phone and will have posted their experiences and tips in the forums.

Just read up on it and give it a go. You'll feel a great sense of self worth once you've done it yourself.

Edited by englishinsiam

It's fairly straightforward as long as you back everything up.

I have put Darkey's rom on my Android and it takes about 20 mins but most of that is backing up and downloading files.

It is quite hard to brick your phone and they send you step by step instructions on how to upgrade your rom.

Do a google search for Darkey's Rom and you will find the forums etc people will have tried your phone and will have posted their experiences and tips in the forums.

Just read up on it and give it a go. You'll feel a great sense of self worth once you've done it yourself.

I have to take several factors into account.

Vodafone UK, Hong Kong, Spain, Rogers this and Rogers that.

Android 1.5 (other is 1.6)

32A (other is 32B)

Radio 6.35xx (other is 3.xx)

Various ROMs on offer.. gingeryoshi, froyo this, froyo that, cyanogenmod, darkey, and numerous others.

And many sites have different numbers and talk loads of processes... I am confused with all the different combinations... and I have no idea what to trust anymore...

I am totally surprised with all this.. how the manufacturers had to complicate a simple upgrade...

Hope I find a straightforward solution somewhere.

Edited: I can't find darkey anywhere that is specific to my phone.

Edited by ihightower

I have to take several factors into account.

Vodafone UK, Hong Kong, Spain, Rogers this and Rogers that.

Android 1.5 (other is 1.6)

32A (other is 32B)

Radio 6.35xx (other is 3.xx)

Various ROMs on offer.. gingeryoshi, froyo this, froyo that, cyanogenmod, darkey, and numerous others.

And many sites have different numbers and talk loads of processes... I am confused with all the different combinations... and I have no idea what to trust anymore...

I am totally surprised with all this.. how the manufacturers had to complicate a simple upgrade...

Hope I find a straightforward solution somewhere.

The first two videos I posted seem straightforward; I seriously doubt you're going to find anything less confusing. If you find those overwhelming then you should not attempt this on your own.

FWIW, you have a 32A board, so just follow the instructions for 32A; using only those files (typically a .zip) which apply to that HW platform.

The primary issue here is that the manufacturer has left you "high and dry", with no official upgrade, so you need to fend for yourself.

Perhaps someone could recommend a specific custom ROM for you? (FYI, I think Darky's ROMs are for Samsung models like the Galaxy S (i9000) and Captivate (i897), so not applicable here.)

More reading for you:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529062

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1073516

Edited by lomatopo

Quote: Edited: I also found another link on the same page that does this 1.5 -> 1.6 (first)

My main concern is that (I think) the Vodafone-K version has the 32B board while you have the 32A board. In some of the rooting videos they specifically call out different software based on which board you have. Hence using these Vodafone-UK files might not work.

I'm not sure what to recommend; I think you may have to try this yourself, with or without help. I guess you could keep looking at mobile repair counter shops in all the malls, not just MBK. Also, ask for a reference when they say no, "do you know anyone who can do this for me?". Also, if you have a Thai friend you could ask them to post the inquiry in some of the social forums like pantip.com and sanook.

I did find these HTC Magic rooting and loading custom ROM videos on Youtube...

@lomatopo... A computer savvy colleague of mine has offered to root the phone using the links provided by you...

My question is that..

1) Can I give it to him for root first? and still can use the phone with the original ROM.

2) Then, think about whether to change ROM or not and which ROM to choose?

So, in your opinion... which is more risky... 1) rooting or 2) changing the ROM

or both have the same chance of bricking the phone.

One thing you need to know is it doesn't matter what country your phone is from as long as you have a ROM for your board you can install it. Be it a Chinese, Italian Indian or Martian.

Voda will probably have their own stock rom but it doesn't mean you have to use it. I would suggest googling your model and the Roms you'd like.

I've been trying to come up with some candidate custom 2.2 (FroYo) ROMs for your specific phone, but it hasn't been easy. In addition to the 32A board, you also require a 6.35 radio (see the phone details in your first post; I'm not sure if this is a GSM, 3G or both requirement?) Flashing a custom ROM with the wrong radio seems like a sure way to brick this model.

It seems like very one has an issue; the camera doesn't work, WiFi doesn't work, etc.

Some of the Gingerbread Custom ROMs seem like they might be better?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=953112

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1011384

I've been trying to come up with some candidate custom 2.2 (FroYo) ROMs for your specific phone, but it hasn't been easy. In addition to the 32A board, you also require a 6.35 radio (see the phone details in your first post; I'm not sure if this is a GSM, 3G or both requirement?) Flashing a custom ROM with the wrong radio seems like a sure way to brick this model.

It seems like very one has an issue; the camera doesn't work, WiFi doesn't work, etc.

Some of the Gingerbread Custom ROMs seem like they might be better?

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=953112

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1011384

Thank you for your help guys.

But, it only gets worse and worse. The links you give above has lot of sublinks leading to everywhere... and talk about 3 different Mhz and several different Radios and something about SPLs.

I don't think there is any destination in sight.

For now,

Motherboards.. 32A and 32B? what are these?

Can you tell me what is RADIO anyway? Why is it different for every <deleted>' phone.

what is SPL?

What is all this to do with ROMs?

and What is Kernel? why is it different than ROM?

Why there are Mhz links?

Recover img ... Sapphire...???

Why so many different terminology.. .even possibly for the same thing?

Which ones are actually relevant for rooting and changing ROMs... Can't just deciding on 32A and ROM good enough?

It just goes on and on and on.

Edited by ihightower

I'm not sure what to recommend at this point, although I do now understand why it was impossible to find anyone to upgrade your phone. ;)

Maybe best to keep reading, and learning while trying to not get so frustrated. Just take it step by step.

At some point you are going to have to decide to proceed to flashing a custom ROM, and possibly bricking your phone (or losing some degree of functionality), at which point you should be prepared to buy a new phone. Or just stick with 1.5. What features in 2.1/2.2 do you absolutely require?

I'm not sure what to recommend at this point, although I do now understand why it was impossible to find anyone to upgrade your phone. ;)

Maybe best to keep reading, and learning while trying to not get so frustrated. Just take it step by step.

At some point you are going to have to decide to proceed to flashing a custom ROM, and possibly bricking your phone (or losing some degree of functionality), at which point you should be prepared to buy a new phone. Or just stick with 1.5. What features in 2.1/2.2 do you absolutely require?

There are some music application available from Market (for Android 2.1 up) in my language. streaming music app.

Also, just for the sake of upgrade.

I have rooted my phone using this .apk file. Android 1.5 HTC Magic 32A (Hong Kong).

STEP 1:

http://software2tech.com/2010/08/29/android-news-universal-androot-1-6-2-beta-5-released-and-available-for-download/

STEP 2:

just save the download file in your sd card.. and install the application.

Just select "superuser for Android 1.5/1.6"..

phone will be rooted in 30seconds.. just 1 click.

you can unroot it if you want to. and do it again. no problems at all.

Looks a very safe operation and it just works!!! on the first try.

--

After doing the rooting..

you can install... screenshot app to take screenshots of your phone... (works)

you can install... wifi tethering http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ (works)

your android market will now show "paid" applications as well.

Next step is how to change ROM without bricking the phone.. (for later if successful).

You can verify if rooting was successful: go to Applications, scroll down/across and look for the pirate android with the title "Superuser". If you see that your phone is rooted.

Yes.. I have the same Icon, but named "Superuser Permission..."

and, it works great. I was even successful to install "Remote Control Android".. which is a Vnc Server... and I could see all the swipes, etc. on my PC. Every screen change is updated to my pc.. and it is quick.

Only Left to change the ROM... sad.gif.. as easy as the rooting was.

You can verify if rooting was successful: go to Applications, scroll down/across and look for the pirate android with the title "Superuser". If you see that your phone is rooted.

Yes.. I have the same Icon, but named "Superuser Permission..."

and, it works great. I was even successful to install "Remote Control Android".. which is a Vnc Server... and I could see all the swipes, etc. on my PC. Every screen change is updated to my pc.. and it is quick.

Only Left to change the ROM... sad.gif.. as easy as the rooting was.

Chromatic 4.5 is now installed.. following these steps http://pdamobiz.com/...TID=342824&PN=1

A colleague helped me do it.

We needed to sidetrack very slightly from the procedure... but the whole thing is long winded.. so I can't explain.

Works great with minor issues.

- no adobe flash (or htc flash player) available

- no google maps... but can install from market

- bit sluggish occasionally

- cannot play angry birds (for example).. as it is too slow with the movement.. although can install.

- theme colors require some tuning.. and seem to have some minor bugs.. (not much issue).

overall it is great in any case.

Edited by ihightower

Congratulations.

Were you able to install the 2.1 apps you wanted?

No.. as I can't see the download file in the Market.

Also, I can't download from the Market website.. it says your country not supported or something of that sort.

However, I could try directly from the website.. using flash player... but that too cannot be tried.. due to "no flash player" on my phone. Pity!!

This is the site.. http://www.raaga.com/apps/android/

any recommendations are welcome.

FWIW, I can't see/find raaga in the Market.

I could to an install screen via m.raaga.com to Android Market but could not install it..."This item cannot be installed in your device's country". (It's a free app, so not some paid app. issue being blocked; paid apps. are now available in Thailand.) I guess I could look for the apk and sideload it?

edited to add: it seems like this may be a paid app? $2.99. Very confusing. Not sure why they make it so hard to get/buy an app?

Edited by lomatopo

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I can't see/find raaga in the Market.

I could to an install screen via m.raaga.com to Android Market but could not install it..."This item cannot be installed in your device's country". (It's a free app, so not some paid app. issue being blocked; paid apps. are now available in Thailand.) I guess I could look for the apk and sideload it?

edited to add: it seems like this may be a paid app? $2.99. Very confusing. Not sure why they make it so hard to get/buy an app?

@lomatopo

I prefer to go back to the original ROM with HTC Sense UI... how to do this..

current I have:

Android version: 2.2
Baseband version: 62.52S.20.18H_3.22.20.17
Kernel version: 2.6.34.5-cyanogenmod
brian@brian-laptop#1
Build number: FRF91
Mod version: Chromatic-4.4-DS

Other Information.. after Hold Back and Power/End button:

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A ENG S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.33.2010 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17
Jun 2 2009,17:27:03

Originally I had

Android 1.5

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.76.0007 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-6.35.07.29
Aug 4 2009,19:43:30

I don't mind to have 1.6... can I downgrade from 2.2 to 1.6 or 1.5.. and have the same sense UI.

why i want to go back?

- bit slow with google maps while naviagation

- streaming audio now freezes more often with my " twit" app.

- slow generally on occasions

- htc sense ui dialer is way better than any other dialer..

Please advise.. how I can go back.

Edited by ihightower