Sharing Our Chiang Mai Cycling Routes

JimShortz

I've recently begun riding with a group of friends out to the SW of the city. My plan is to map the routes that we enjoy and share them around.

Here's where I am up to: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=213148401166500869675.0004a37477631229aceb7&ll=18.768352,98.93755&spn=0.090369,0.168056&t=h&z=13

Now, be kind - I only just started... Note that the times for each section are Google's, not mine, and are based on a car not a cycle. I cannot climb Doi Kham in the 3 minutes shown - nor do I ever expect too!

The route(s) shown are very pleasant countryside rides, with a fair bit of challenge depending on the route chosen. I love the climb up Doi Kham, and it's a great barometer of my fitness. I started off at over 12 minutes a few weeks ago and have it down to 10:45 now (from the road junction at the bottom to the bench at the top). 10 minutes is my goal... if I don't die first...

Do you have any maps/routes to share? How much do you beat my time by? cool.gif

If you want to add to this map then PM me with your email address and I will add you as a collaborator; or maybe you would rather make your own map and share it? I am interested in anywhere within reasonable reach of Chiang Mai (even if it involves taking the bike in the car).

Hi 'jimShortz' Always good to hear from someoneout and ab out on two wheels.

Sorry I've got no maps, I live and ride in the Mae Taeng area mostly, (about 38Km north of CM….out on the 107) and have just over the years found loads of routes.

You are more than welcome to come and ride 'Mae Taeng', mostly off-road, and lot of everything,for all levels. I would be happy to host anyone on a ride out up here.

If interested, just PM me.

Edited by Tonto21

• 2 weeks later...

Jim.... Here's a .kml route for a wild ride from CM to Mae Taeng. It's about 70 km and lots of wild country once you leave the Hmong Lodge area. (It passes a few km south of Wat Pra Ba See Roy). Not for the inexperienced mountain biker however. I could not figure out how to add this route to your map so just open it up in Google Earth and then select the route in the left hand column. (G=E has a bug in that it opens up the USA and you have to select the route.)

Doi Kham is a great place and I try to go there a few times a week. It has the friendliest dogs of any Wat in Thailand!

Let me know if you want to find some routes between the Samoung Road and the road to Op Khan Park as I ride there often. I tend to stay away from stinky roads.

Mae Taeng Via Hmong Lodge.kml