What Adsl/sdsl Company To Choose ?

jorn-h

Me and my thai wife have now desided to leave the cold north for a while and move to bangkok for 12 months. Will move there in February.

During that time i will have "Home Office" in Bangkok and do my work in Norway by VoIP and Internet.

Price dont mather as long as service is stable (but less then 10000 thb would be nice).

What would be good is a 2048/384 Kbps or higher speed and free use is a must.

Will be working online around 8 hours every day , and will lose around 1000 thb for each hour without internet (downtime).

Will be living in Nonthaburi / Chatuchak area (not desided yet)

Have only used dial-up when im been in thai before, so i would be very glad if someone could share their knowledge about thai internet , and come with some advice ??

How long time does it take to get service up and running in bbk (from you order to your online. ) ?

I think a lot depends on where you live. Obviously first you need a fixed telephone line, then from there you can determine if xDSL is available, and from whom. I think TOT and True, among others?, offer fixed telephone lines. Then there are several ISPs that offer xDSL; True, TOT, CSLoxInfo, KSC, UCOM among others. Based on posts here there really is no 'perfect' service provider; they all have their good moments and bad. I use CSLoxInfo on a TOT fixed line and am happy with the price and performance (1,024/256; 1,070 THB per month for ADSL, fixed line is another 107 THB per month inclusive of VAT). I do not use VoIP. My neighbor has TRUE ADSL (some sort of business package that is supposed to guarantee reliability, uptime, bandwidth and performance, not sure what fixed line provider he has?) and uses VoIP (Vonage) with reasonable success.

You might search through this forum for more recommendations, and more application-specific details.

This website, http://www.adslthailand.com/ , might be of help? Note that they have an English-language forum.

edited to add: intra-Thailand bandwidth is reasonably close to the numbers advertised for the package you subscribe to. So I have a 1,024 line and get 775 within Thailand. International bandwidth performance is severely limited regardless of package/provider. I might be lucky to get 175 back to the U.S.A. (All figures in kilobits per second).

Edited by lomatopo