Ais Previews Galaxy Tab 10.1 With Honeycomb 3.1

AIS has held its Galaxy Episode II event giving a selected few VIP guests the change to experience first hand the Samsung Galaxy S II and the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Meanwhile, for the rest of us, anyone reserving either of the two devices at the Thailand Mobile Expo will have the option of a special package of unlimited AIS WiFi and 3 GB / month of 2G data for 12 months at just 399 Baht a month.

No prices were given, though the press release did say that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 would be launched running Honeycomb 3.1.

AIS aims to be number one in services with expansion of its EDGE network, 900 MHz 3G and over 20,000 WiFi hotspots.

By Don Sambandaraksa

I have seen some posts on Thai forums today talking about a price of 18,900 for this phone, from True, DTAC and AIS, along with price-reduced data plans. Up until today most expected the price to be 22,900 so this new price has everyone gasping. There is a lot of pent-up demand for this phone, and the rumors are flying, so this could be another one.

For clarity, the rumored price of 18,900 is for the Samsung Galaxy S II android smartphone.

I am not sure what the pricing will be (or is) on the 10.1 Honeycomb Tabs. I think maybe they'll launch the 3G versions (16/32/64) at this show?

Gingerbread is for mobile phones. Honeycomb is for tablets. The next Android version - Ice Cream Sandwich - is supposed to become a merged product.

If you're going to buy a tablet I would certainly get one with Honeycomb.

The HTC website is not really clear, but as far as I can see the Flyer has the ancient type touchscreens that require a stylus, hence the one provided. I could be wrong on this of course, but with so many interesting tablets out or coming out shortly I wouldn't pick the Flyer myself. I also don't like Sense, but that's of course a matter of individual taste :)

Not sure, Thaimobilecenter is hardly the "paper of record" for the mobile hone market here, just one source of information.

To me it looks like you can use a capacitive touch screen, and then also the "magic pen" to mark-up whatever is displayed? Just my guess. I suspect you could get definitive answers from HTC at the show next weekend?

Have you ever tried using a stylus on a "standard" capacitive touchscreen? It doesn't work, at least not on my HTC Desire. But maybe the pen they supply with it is indeed "magic" :)

Obviously not, I did say it was a guess. :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

Samsung & Google gave a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (custom edition) free to all 5,000 attendees at the Google IO conference!

AIS is showing availability of 1 July 2554; but some Thai forums mention 8 July 2554. Same date for the SGS2. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want an Android tablet...currently using an HTC Desire phone and also want the larger form-factor of a tablet for easier e-reading and web-browsing. I am currently torn between the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Acer A500. The Acer is widely available now and has very good specs and connectivity options but is only Honeycomb 3.0 and is slightly bulkier/heavier than the svelte Galaxy (but you have those connectivity options like HDMI and SD card slot). The Galaxy is "sexier" but more limited connectivity and storage options and some of the connectors are propriety.

Please someone...help me to decide :lol:

I played with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Acer A500, Motorola Xoom, Asus Transformer, HP TouchPad at a Best Buy yesterday here in the U.S. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 wins hands-down vis-a-vis screen, UI, feel, size, design. A beautiful device; it's no wonder AAPL is suing Samsung. ;)

I did not factor in all the SD, USB, issues; those are not important to me.

Did not see the HTC Flyer, although I think it is out here; Toshiba Thrive still not out yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw an in the box Galaxy Tab10.1 32GB for B27,900 at Winner Pattaya Beach.

Was it with or without 3G?

The 3G versions are due, in the West, next month (10.1) and later for the 8.9, according to available reports. Not sure which, if any, 3G models might get introduced here? I know AT&T and Verizon have 3G models planned in the U.S. Pricing is expected to be +$100 for the 3G models unsubsidized), so $599/16 GB and $699/32 GB.

Saw an in the box Galaxy Tab10.1 32GB for B27,900 at Winner Pattaya Beach.

Was it with or without 3G?

The 3G versions are due, in the West, next month (10.1) and later for the 8.9, according to available reports. Not sure which, if any, 3G models might get introduced here? I know AT&T and Verizon have 3G models planned in the U.S. Pricing is expected to be +$100 for the 3G models unsubsidized), so $599/16 GB and $699/32 GB.

Yes, it was Wi-Fi only I believe.