The Gripping Battle For The North: Thailand Election

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

The gripping battle for the North

By Bancha Khaengkhan,

Kornchanok Raksaseri

The Nation

The Pheu Thai Party has already started campaigning in its strongholds in the North and Northeast, not just to win more MP seats but to also block Bhum Jai Thai and Democrat Party from trying to woo voters.

The main opposition party's top candidate, Yingluck Shinawatra, was warmly welcomed in the Northeast, with tens of thousands of people coming out listen to her speech in Udon Thani on Wednesday. On that very same day, Bhum Jai Thai's de-facto leader Newin Chidchob predicted that neither Yingluck nor Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva would be the next premier.

Yingluck, who shrugged off Newin's comments and said it was up to the public to decide, is heading for Maha Sarakham today.

The younger sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra launched her election campaign in her hometown of Chiang Mai, before heading to other Pheu Thai strongholds. This move might discourage opponents and boost sentiment in Pheu Thai's favour.

Yingluck's strategies focus on the human touch, which she knows will win the hearts of voters.

She met the masses in Chiang Mai with tears of joy, before heading off to Phayao and Chiang Rai, and then moving on to the red-shirt-dominated province of Udon Thani, with red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana as her key canvasser. She proved that she was Isaan at heart by demonstrating her skills at making som tam, the local delicacy, before taking a tricycle taxi to visit voters.

Yingluck is doing her best to discourage Bhum Jai Thai, which has also been aggressively campaigning in the upper Northeast. It will obviously be a fierce battle between the two parties. Bhum Jai Thai has the money, the resources and personnel, while Pheu Thai has the extra weapon of popular sentiment.

Pheu Thai, openly branding Bhum Jai Thai as a traitor, is working to win back support in Udon Thai, Roi Et and Maha Sarakham.

When the two opponents were one as the now-defunct People's Power Party, they won 102 of 135 seats in the Northeast during the 2007 elections. However, this number was brought down to 76 after by-elections were held and some MPs defected to Bhum Jai Thai, which grabbed 24 seats and the Democrats ended up with five.

Still, Pheu Thai should be relieved that the "Thaksin Fever" still rages in the Northeast, but this could be challenged after Bhum Jai Thai appointed a network of local officials while it was in charge of the Interior Ministry under Abhisit Vejjajiva government.

Pheu Thai, meanwhile, has put veteran politician Chalerm Yoobamrung in charge of the upper Northeast, General Pallop Pinmanee in charge of the lower Northeast and is cashing in on the influence of Thaksin's mates from the pre-cadet Class 10. The party's main targets include Kalasin, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Sakon Nakhon, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Bung Kan and Loei. The one-MP-per-constituency system is making it easier to identify targets and tackle opponents.

Pheu Thai expects to win 90 to 100 of the 126 MP seats up for grabs in the 20 provinces in the Northeast thanks to its "whole province" strategy. However, it should not underestimate the loyalty voters might have for former MPs who have defected regardless of the fervour for Thaksin and popularity of the red-shirt movement.

Since it is the largest region in the country in terms of MP seats, the Northeast is a strategic area and all parties will be putting everything they have at stake in order to be given a chance at forming the next government.

The July 3 elections will not only show which party is the strongest in terms of money, resources and popularity, but also which is the most influential.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-27

Pheu Thai to Campaign in Northeast

The Pheu Thai Party's top candidate is continuing her election campaigning in the Northeast.

Pheu Thai's top candidate Yingluck Shinawatra, whose support is strongest in the North and Northeast, is moving along with her party's election campaign on the large plateau, the Tung Kula Rong Hai, in Roi-et Province.

Yingluck told the gathering that the Pheu Thai Party would solve drought problems in the area by joining the 25 rivers and streams that flow pass the region.

She said that the project would help increase agricultural yields for farmers.

She also promised to carry on her brother, former prime minister Thaksin Shinwatra's policies to help people in the region so everyone's love and trust in him can be transferred to her.

Yingluck was welcomed warmly by the people in the area and many locals requested to have their photos taken with her, while others gave her flower garlands.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-27

Yingluck told the gathering that the Pheu Thai Party would solve drought problems in the area by joining the 25 rivers and streams that flow pass the region.

That should be easy. Finished in 6 months?

The candidate for Chiang Mai Muang District as seen on all numerous posters (alongside Yingluck) that went up this week, looks like she's a teenager. I'm not sure who she is, nor her family ties and background but I doubt she's over 30. The thought of this 'wai-roon' representing my district in parliament just adds to the absolute farce that Thai politics and PTP in particular has become.

/Users/andrewbond/Downloads/IMG_0008.jpg

The candidate for Chiang Mai Muang District as seen on all numerous posters (alongside Yingluck) that went up this week, looks like she's a teenager. I'm not sure who she is, nor her family ties and background but I doubt she's over 30. The thought of this 'wai-roon' representing my district in parliament just adds to the absolute farce that Thai politics and PTP in particular has become.

The OP misses a very big point, probably because it was written by a man. That is Thailand could elect its first female prime minister. She is intelligent, articulate and attractive. That is a very appealing combination to women voters.

If your local candidate is intelligent and articulate and was selected on merit, what difference does it make that she is female?

The OP misses a very big point, probably because it was written by a man. That is Thailand could elect its first female prime minister. She is intelligent, articulate and attractive. That is a very appealing combination to women voters.

If your local candidate is intelligent and articulate and was selected on merit, what difference does it make that she is female?

I would doubt that merit has much to do with candidate selection.

I would suggest that she is a daughter of a banned politician.

The candidate for the mueang district in Chiang Mai is Ms.Tassanai, she is related to the current mayor of Chiang Mai, who won his election quite easily. Don't think her age/gender should be such as issue. Everyone is always complaining about old men running this country and now we have a new breed of candidate people are still complaining. I say good luck to her.

you might want to watch Yunglick being interviewed by ABC and consider these words whilst doing so:

''She is intelligent, articulate and attractive''

Edited by timekeeper