American Arrested In Thailand For Linking To A Website From His Blog

webfact

What would you say if the US brought in a law that you couldn't say anything bad about the president (whoever he happened to be)?

You are comparing apples to space ships. Not even a remotely close comparison.

If someone deserves respect, then they will be respected. It shouldn't be forced on people.

You are being naive if you believe this to be true. People go to jail all the time in the US for showing a police officer disrespect.. they call it disorderly conduct among other things. Kids are disciplined all the time in school for showing teachers disrespect. Adults are fired from their job for showing colleagues or bosses disrespect or gossiping negatively about others.

But Thailand is not our country and its laws were created by Thais to serve Thailand and its people. Their laws should not be our concern except to follow them while in the their country. If an outsider feels so strongly that human rights are being violated then they should stand up and do something while being prepared to face the consequences of such actions .. if no then they should mind their own business and follow the laws. Bottom line is if Thais want the law changed they will change it and it is should not be up to foreigners to decide what is best for them.

I have no issue with somebody disagreeing with the law but I really can't see a reason to get worked up about it since the vast majority of Thais don't and most believe in the law. However, I can surely understand a Thai being upset about somebody breaking the law as much as I would be upset about somebody disrespecting my mother, father or family.

What, exactly, makes you think Thai laws are created to serve Thailand and its people? They're made to serve the people who make the laws! Next you'll be saying that Thai governments serve the people and not themselves.

Wake up!

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shows why we allow discussion of the LM laws, but not a discussion of the Royal Family itself. Keep that in mind when posting.

We are all guests in this country. We must respect the rules and laws of the host country whether we agree or not.

It is better to be safe and free than to be sorry and in jail... unless one enjoys fish head soup 2 times a day, every day.

:jap:

Wish 'guests' in my home country took this attitude. One of the main reasons I left!

Does he have a Thai passport and did he use it to enter Thailand?

If so under International law he is Thai and not American.

If he entered using his American Passport, then he is deemed to be American.

Although off the Thai aspect of this topic, a British author has just lost his appeal against a jail sentence in Singapore for publishing a book about the death penalty in Singapore which he believes is often imposed unfairly against people without money or connections, while the wealthy and well connected can get off virtually scot free even when clearly involved in drug dealing. His book, which was published in Malaysia and is still freely available there, was deemed insulting to the Singapore judiciary. One of the examples he gave was the case of a policeman who was the sole witness in a drugs death penalty conviction case. The Singapore judiciary allegedly delayed the trial and conviction of that policeman for sexually assaulting a female prisoner and trying to bribe her to remain silent, until after the convict had been hanged, lest his evidence be regarded as unreliable. Foreign hi-so drug dealers have allegedly had the evidence manipulated in their favour to avoid them disclosing embarrassing customer lists compromising some of Singapore's glitterati while on death row and have them quickly deported from Singapore with a rap over the knuckles.

However, those who wish to express their opinion in a respectful way should be allowed that freedom. Such free opinions often help to balance propoganda. :wai:

Everybody should be allowed to say whatever they want without any restrictions. An opinion is always offensive to someone so that can and should never be an excuse. In a truly free country the freedom of expression is absolute. Religion, persons and institutes should never be (ab)used to silence someone and to put a person in jail. In that regard Thailand is not different from many western countries. Even worse, many countries still put people to death for all kinds of reasons. Just the death penalty alone is nothing but a disgrace to humanity. There is still a lot of stuff wrong on this planet and before we start judging Thailand for its LM law we better look at our countries of origin first. Otherwise we don't have much of a case to begin with.

Edited by AgentSmith

Well, let Thais do the things in Thailand the Thai way, and farang do the things in their respective countries the farang way.

Will you be happy if some Chinese in Europe say that it is stupid to eat using fork and it is better to use chopstick as your only dining tool? Or some Arabs in UK condemn UK law, which doesn't prohibit women from swimming in the same pool with men?

Every nation has their own law and the only people who have the right to criticize the law is the citizen of that nation.

Americans, while in Thailand, have to obey the Thai law same as Thais.

Makes no difference, except for a catchy headline, so maybe other Americans (and other foreigners) take notice.

Edited by samurai

However, those who wish to express their opinion in a respectful way should be allowed that freedom. Such free opinions often help to balance propoganda. :wai:

Everybody should be allowed to say whatever they want without any restrictions. An opinion is always offensive to someone so that can and should never be an excuse. In a truly free country the freedom of expression is absolute. Religion, persons and institutes should never be (ab)used to silence someone and to put a person in jail. In that regard Thailand is not different from many western countries. Even worse, many countries still put people to death for rather silly reasons. Just the death penalty alone is nothing but a disgrace to humanity. There is still a lot of wrong stuff wrong on this planet and before we start judging Thailand for its LM law we better look at our countries of origin first. Otherwise we don't have much of a case to begin with.

I can't agree with everything you say, because in my country some leading politicians have been using 'hate speach', in the form of actually calling for the masses to kill minority groups... he didn't imply that this minority group should be wiped-out, he says it directly. Now if you think for one moment that people calling for genocide should be free to do so, I cannot agree with you.

I think that there are ways of expressing opinion witout actually being de-humanising or plain disrespectful... for example as you have shown in your reply to my comment. However, had you simply called me a c#nt or something like this, maybe it would be considered as disrespectful and possibly it should not be allowed.

I spoke with someone who read the book in question, and he seems to think it wasn't quite so bad.

It doesnt matter because Ying-Luck is going to win and she will end this medieval curse AND BRING DEMOCRACY TO THAILAND!

Pity that no other country has ever colonised Thailand really. Still I'm sure the country could still be invaded and the western model democracy be ,literally, enforced.

hmmmm

Id say this situation is not just 'the farang bashing the monarchy'

This guy was actually born in thailand - and probably has some deep feelings and knows a lot more than most of us farangs do about thailands cultural ways and impotences...

If it was just a farang then so be it...

But this is a Thai who lived in thailand for half of his life, before leaving to live in the USA - and more than likely expanding his understanding of the world and realized when he came back home... that maybe thailand still is in the dark ages of dictatorship and censorship...

Ofcourse... if tabloids in thailand has the right to say anything they wanted about the monarchy... i think it would be a dissaster as it was in the UK once upon a time...

I dont think the LS should apply to the general public to have or speak opinions about whatever they want...

I do think it should apply to the MEDIA and tabloids and they can ruin lives just for a story, and are the dirtiest players of all.

As this guy did use a public blog... he is basically the media... so... hmmmm

Id say he stepped the line...

Lets talk about burning the American Flag in America and see how this compares with insulting the King of Thailand in Thailand. The King, I believe, as many before him, deserves respect and admiration. I cant say the same for what the flag represents. I can remember a time in the southern states when laws made black people sit in the back of a bus...until it was realised most accidents happened at the front of the bus..What happened then..you guessed it. Put the black people in the front. People in glass houses should definitely not throw stones.

A lot of us know about the book that basically trashes the royal family here. It's not a particularly well written or well researched book.

In that regard, it's a bit like Private Dancer or even The Da Vinci Code...

Still, I am dusting off my copy for a refreshing re-read on the patio this evening.

This law is just a remnant of the days of slavery and continues to suppress the people and make them afraid to speak the truth.

It not compatible with democracy no wonder human rights groups are working to change it.

It doesnt matter because Ying-Luck is going to win and she will end this medieval curse AND BRING DEMOCRACY TO THAILAND! (ha ha ha)

The UK seems to have coped with having a monarchy and democracy.

Of course, everyone knows what the aim of Thaksin was when he was PM. Using Yingluck is just a step back in that direction.

This law is just a remnant of the days of slavery and continues to suppress the people and make them afraid to speak the truth.

It not compatible with democracy no wonder human rights groups are working to change it.

spot on

Lets talk about burning the American Flag in America and see how this compares with insulting the King of Thailand in Thailand. The King, I believe, as many before him, deserves respect and admiration. I cant say the same for what the flag represents. I can remember a time in the southern states when laws made black people sit in the back of a bus...until it was realised most accidents happened at the front of the bus..What happened then..you guessed it. Put the black people in the front. People in glass houses should definitely not throw stones.

Oh PULLEEZZEEE! Puke Puke...Burning the flag was the proof we were a democracy but now we seriously lost something by making it sacred.

Edited by devaram

But there are fundamental differences in the form of monarchy. None of which would be expedient ,or respectful, to discuss here.

It doesnt matter because Ying-Luck is going to win and she will end this medieval curse AND BRING DEMOCRACY TO THAILAND! (ha ha ha)

Of course, everyone knows what the aim of Thaksin was when he was PM. Using Yingluck is just a step back in that direction.

Indeed the UK is a democracy.

With similar LM laws?

Why would a Thai national even consider to enter Thailand on his American passport.Oh,maybe he loves to do visa runs.

An Australian documentary last year on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).."Foreign Correspondant" revealed some very interesting stuff on censorship in Thailand...For those outside Thailand go to 'ABC Iview'..*edited out*

Edited by Scott
portion edited out/Scott

I keep hearing this "we have to respect" this and that. But lets be fair, most of us come from countries where there is true freedom. Maybe this place should be named LOC 'land of the controlled'.

Where freedom is locked up, by the very people who are probably the most corrupt in the globe.

Respect has to be earned, and it should start with mutual respect for a person's freedom of expression.

Respect where respect is deserved.

Indeed the UK is a democracy.

With similar LM laws?

As I've already said, a different form of monarchy under a different State religion. The Queen may be the head of the C of E, but His Highness the King of Thailand is seen as an embodiment of Buddha Shakyamuni. A vast differences in deferential position.

Respect has to be earned

But the Buddhist perspective has is that to be afforded respect is a fundamental human right. As is the dignity of all life. Sometimes we really ought to try and understand things from a perspective outside of our own culturally determined ones. :jap:

It shows why we allow discussion of the LM laws, but not a discussion of the Royal Family itself. Keep that in mind when posting.

You are right to a point.

It`s OK to inform the members and to give an account of the story, but it only takes the actions of 1 idiot to make a smart comment that gets over looked, then it becomes those that are running the show who's heads end up on the block.

In Thailand there are some subjects that are just too sensitive to allow all and sundry to comment on, especially when it is others that are taking all the risks.

I equate this to driving a car with passengers on board. If involved in an accident, it is the driver that is burdened with having to bare the full consequences of what transpires during the journey.

I make no claims to being an expert at anything, all I know is that our company number one priority is; cover our own asses at all times and never leave ourselves vulnerable to those that would do us down, just for the sake of.

This is how we managed to stay afloat for many, many years by putting limits on what we give and knowing how far we can go.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Politicians using this law to attack their foes unjustly should be dealt with more severely than somebody who actually breaks the law in my opinion. To me this is 10x more disrespectful.

Who knows if it's unjust or not? It can't even be discussed.

I read about the accusations and defenses of them in the newspaper fairly often. The certainly can be discussed if done appropriately.

"can be discussed if done appropriately." - oxymoron?, contradiction-in-terms?, WHO decides "appropriateness???????"

spot on

Actually the Thai LM laws have nothing to do with truth, just like the Thai laws about libel and defamation.

Or you might say, they have nothing to do with the truth as we Westerners perceive it: facts, which can be proven. They have more to do with intentions and perception by third parties.

Just because you write or say the truth and could prove it doesn't get you off the hook.

Well... without freedom of thought and of speech you have no freedoms at all. Wasn't there some political party rising up in the late 1930's in Europe someplace that banned books and free speech? Wonder what ever happened to them?....Oh yeah, now I recall: There was a mass exodus of the greater intelligencia leaving that country. Wonder why? Anyway whatever country that was didn't seem to make it very far. Wonder why? Guess those greater intelligencia folks made a positive difference someplace else. Wonder where? Can censorship be equated with human progress? Wonder what the opposite of the word "progress" would be? Bet nobody here feels free enough to render any tangible answer or response to those questions.

Isn't Fear a wonderful paradigm to live under? Hmmm...wonder what the opposite of Freedom is? Isn't it a word that has the letters T and Y at either end of it? Hey whatever happened to Louis the XIV anyway?