American Arrested In Thailand For Linking To A Website From His Blog

webfact

Politicians using this law to attack their foes unjustly should be dealt with more severely than somebody who actually breaks the law in my opinion. To me this is 10x more disrespectful.

Who knows if it's unjust or not? It can't even be discussed.

I read about the accusations and defenses of them in the newspaper fairly often. The certainly can be discussed if done appropriately.

The only thing that is usually in the papers is that they are accused of lese majeste and a denial that the accused said anything wrong.

There is never details of what was said, because that would lead to a charge of lese majeste in itself.

I suggest you check out the recent Thai news surrounding Somsak Jeamteerasakul.

It is one thing to not want to repeat possible offensive words or spread rumors and another to have it be a crime to report what somebody did. If you could not report such happenings then you could never file charges against somebody let alone report them or convict them because you could never say what they did.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand charges US citizen with insulting royals

BANGKOK, May 27, 2011 (AFP) - A US citizen has been charged in Thailand with insulting the monarchy after he posted material deemed offensive on his blog and put a link to a banned book, authorities said Friday.

Thai-born Lerpong Wichaikhammat, 54, was arrested on Tuesday in Nakhon Ratchasima province in northeast Thailand and is currently being held at Bangkok Remand Prison.

"He translated articles which are deemed insulting to the monarchy and posted them on his blog. Also he provided a link to a book" perceived as critical of the royal family, said police Lieutenant Colonel Kovit Tardmee.

"He left Thailand when he was 35 and returned for medical treatment in November 2009. He is scheduled to go back to the US this December."

The US embassy said it was providing consular assistance to the man.

"We can confirm that he is an American citizen," a spokesman told AFP.

An official at Thailand's Criminal Court said Lerpong had been denied bail during a hearing on Thursday.

"He was charged with lese majeste, subversion and uploading or linking to false information under the Computer Crime Act," she said.

The monarchy is an extremely sensitive subject in politically divided Thailand, which is preparing for an election on July 3, and rights groups have expressed fears over use of lese majeste to suppress freedom of expression.

Controversy over the law was stoked earlier this month when prominent Thai historian Somsak Jeamteerasakul, who has tested taboos with calls for reform of the monarchy, was charged with lese majeste.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej, 83, the world's longest-reigning monarch and revered as a demi-god by many Thais, has been in hospital since September 2009.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-27

The name of the country is supposed to translate as the “land of the free”. However, it is only free up to an extent.

"The land of the free". Freedom to burn trash, throw plastic garbage, play 150 db music, endanger everybody's lives with dangerous driving, anytime and anyplace, but, alas, no freedom of speech.

Edited by WyattEarp

The name of the country is supposed to translate as the "land of the free". However, it is only free up to an extent.

"The land of the free". Freedom to burn trash, throw plastic garbage, play 150 db music, endanger everybody's lives with dangerous driving, anytime and anyplace, but, alas, no freedom of speech.

They do have freedom of speech----- they freely speak of how much better Thai culture is compared to ANY other culture. And they can freely speak of the low morals in the west, and lack of family values in our non-sex-tour countries. They are free to do these things :annoyed:

Anyway, Land of the Free refers to the 'fact' that Thailand was never colonised, not to civil liberty.

Edited by SAffer

"He translated articles which are deemed insulting to the monarchy and posted them on his blog. Also he provided a link to a book" perceived as critical of the royal family, said police Lieutenant Colonel Kovit Tardmee.

Appreciate the "other aspect to the story" provided by the real news media that is missing from the OP blog entry.

Is the Thai American also "denying" the first accusation?

Edited by Buchholz

Appreciate the "other aspect to the story" provided by the real news media that is missing from the OP blog entry.

Is the Thai American also "denying" the first accusation?

I agree. That puts a lot more 'teeth' into it.

Having lived here for many years I am sure that he knows well the situation and he certainly should not have allowed that link to a banned book even if it wasn't him that added it in. Personally, I think that's obvious, not even a grey area. However, perhaps he didn't check it as often as he could have but then that's the same as if you're employed as a driver and you fall asleep on the job. A simple thing but harsh penalties when things go wrong.

I have no sympathy to be honest.

A lot of us know about the book that basically trashes the royal family here. It's not a particularly well written or well researched book.

This guy obviously sees himself as some sort of activist, why else would he be sitting up there in Isaan on using his blog to encourage people to rid this trash?

Now he's an activist, he can experience jail time like many other activists around the world.

Pity he didn't take up a worthy cause, isn't it?

Erm, this book author sold only a few copies. Are you one who bought a copy and read it or how it comes that you know that book and its content?

Gave some else it to you to read, like some one one the internet? That someone could face arrest and charges just like the one in the OP.

If the Thai people were to be asked for their views on the monarchy, over 90% would, I'm sure, support it wholeheartedly and would state that they love their king and see him as a father figure and guiding light for their nation. So the monarchy is not under any kind of viable threat. The lese majeste laws are being abused by the ruling elite as one of the weapons in their attempts to silence any opposion figure that has the temerity to oppose them.

We are all guests in this country. We must respect the rules and laws of the host country whether we agree or not.

Horse shit.. I respect laws and moral codes that are worth respecting. I do not respect something because I am told to do so and I regularly break laws that I do not agree with. I understand that in doing so I may face punishments.

It is better to be safe and free than to be sorry and in jail...

Its a good job principled men didnt feel the same way as you, that got you rights, that ended slavery, that changed things for the better in this world.

Pathetic as usual when will they grow up??? Oh I forgot never, too much money involved and too many easy ways to clamp down on anything they dont like or say.

Edited by travelmann

It shows why we allow discussion of the LM laws, but not a discussion of the Royal Family itself. Keep that in mind when posting.

We are all guests in this country. We must respect the rules and laws of the host country whether we agree or not.

It is better to be safe and free than to be sorry and in jail... unless one enjoys fish head soup 2 times a day, every day.

:jap:

Thats about it

Horse shit.. I respect laws and moral codes that are worth respecting. I do not respect something because I am told to do so and I regularly break laws that I do not agree with. I understand that in doing so I may face punishments.

It is better to be safe and free than to be sorry and in jail...

Its a good job principled men didnt feel the same way as you, that got you rights, that ended slavery, that changed things for the better in this world.

Yes, quite right.

I'm sure most Thais support the monarchy and HM, but I know for certain that a lot of Thais think the les majeste laws are being abused by people wanting to smear their enemies and many would support a more relaxed attitude.

Insult ?

When you are in a pet shop, zoo or in the wild, and a parrot calls you dirty names... you are angry at the parrot ?

I am happy to live in the Netherlands (EU) , where you are allowed to make jokes about everybody. Really everybody.

Last convinction because of Lese majestic: Domela Nieuwenhuis in 1887 for a half year jail. Released after a few days.

European Court for Human Rights in 1992: members of a governments ( we do not speak anymore about the King/Queen ) should be able to absorb more critics as normal people. And with this, end of discussion.

It is better to be safe and free than to be sorry and in jail... unless one enjoys fish head soup 2 times a day, every day.

ugh, we're NOT all guests.

Is the american that got arrested in this article a guest? No. People regurgitate this line over and over again without thinking about it. You're not a guest if you were born here, you're not a guest if you live here and pay taxes. Stop this nonsense please.

I disagree.It was well written and well researched.I may not agree with his findings though but he does have a right to do so.

So all activists should be jailed?With that attitude you should be sharing a call and some fish head chowder also.

I was a worthy cause in his opinion.

So,now is the time for all Thailand lapdogs to raise their heads.............

I have no sympathy to be honest.

A lot of us know about the book that basically trashes the royal family here. It's not a particularly well written or well researched book.

This guy obviously sees himself as some sort of activist, why else would he be sitting up there in Isaan on using his blog to encourage people to rid this trash?

Now he's an activist, he can experience jail time like many other activists around the world.

Pity he didn't take up a worthy cause, isn't it?

Typical backward Thai thinking at its best, silence the masses, sooner or later this place needs to fall into line with the rest of the world and the 21st century i wonder how long its going to take? Cant wait for the nuclear power stations they seem real popular now too!

<br />
<br />Did anybody READ the story? The story says he is a Thai. Sure he has gained American nationality, but it's not like we are talking about an American expat or tourist here: "Joe is a 54 year old resident of Nakhon Ratchasima Province. He is Thai by birth but has lived in Colarado, America for 30 years."<br /><br />Anyway, if you are running a forum you really need to watch it closely and moderate when needed.<br />
<br /><br />'IF" he is an American than he is an American the same as any American who was born here or whose parent's parent's parent;s were born in the US.  Point being is there are no levels of being an American in terms of being held in another country.  Fox News will eat a story like this up if true.  However you make a valid point and the story should say "Thai American"  as the assumption is he is an expat or tourist when in fact there was nothing really in the story (that I recall) that actually said he obtained American Citizenship.  Just because he lived in Colorado for 30-years doesn't mean he became a citizen. I believe lots of people stay in America legally for very long periods but never become  actual citizens.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The US embassy said it was providing consular assistance to the man.

"We can confirm that he is an American citizen," a spokesman told AFP.

It was pretty clear he is - @ any rate 1500% jump in its use after a coup and during the court removal of two governments would tend to say it is becoming one of many tools and not just a law anymore.

In fact, in England, I'm not even sure they (England's Royals) are able to do much now except to try and protect the royal image from all the gossip, paparazzi and unethical reporters.

I admit to being an English Royalist and think highly of Queen Elizabeth and even love the goofs that the 90 year old Prince Philip says or does, no matter what the press says.

Republicans will hate the Monarchy no matter what, but it was said on TV during the recent Royal Wedding that 4 out of 5 Britains still want a Monarchy. Remember the National sorrow when the "Queen Mum" died at 87?

When Queen Elizabeth say in 1992, "1992 is not a year I shall look back on with undiluted pleasure. In the words of one of my more sympathetic correspondents, it has turned out to be an 'annus horribilis'"., it did not demean her, but brought her the support and good wishes of her people thoughout the world.

Edited by grahamhc

Insult ?

When you are in a pet shop, zoo or in the wild, and a parrot calls you dirty names... you are angry at the parrot ?

No, i heard parrots make an excellent Tom Yam or Larb. :licklips::ph34r:

Edited by samurai

It shows why we allow discussion of the LM laws, but not a discussion of the Royal Family itself. Keep that in mind when posting.

Respect is something you earn.I fail to see how anyone with any respect for freedom and democracy can respect these LM laws.

I've noticed several academic research projects recently that have received funding in the West to investigate issues such as press freedom and digital censorship or surveillance in SE Asia. One theory that some are pushing is that the Chinese model is influencing other countries in the region. It is sobering to think that some of these researchers may be at risk if they enter certain SE Asian countries. It cannot be good for Thailand if it finds itself in the same frame as some of its neighbours.

Edited by citizen33