Thai Setting Up Small Business.

My wife (Thai national) is opening a small business in a shop front (Bangkok).

How will she go about setting up the legal aspect of it?

I believe she needs a copy of the lease and a letter from the leaser stating the purpose of her business. Then these will be taken to... ?

Presumably a government office where everything will be lodged and she will be given a business tax number or something?

Also, of secondary interest, I'd also be interested in knowing how long the business needs to be in operation before a bank is likely to give a mortgage based on the earnings? Under say, 3 years per chance?

• 2 weeks later...

Your wife can apply for a Sole Proprietorship (Commercial registration) at the local District Office (amphur) where she intends to open the business.

Its best to contact the District Office to determine what documentation that particular office may require. Be aware that she will need to declare and file a semi-annual and annual income tax. She will also need to determine what, if any, other licenses will be required. For example, selling of food, alcohol or cigarettes, playing music all require separate licenses.

The mortgage would depend on the bank, some require 2 years of operation, others 3. Her best option would be to shop around for mortgages once her business has been in operation at least 2 years.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]