Thaksin Denies Thai PM Ambitions

webfact

Fugitive Thaksin denies Thai PM ambitions

SYDNEY: Fugitive Thai ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has denied he wants to be leader again and insists youngest sister Yingluck, who is challenging for the post, is not his puppet.

In a rare television interview at his luxury home in Dubai, he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's "Lateline" programme he was confident his Puea Thai party would win elections due in July.

"According to the polls of many institutions, including our interim report, we are confident that we are winning," said Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and lives abroad to escape a jail term for graft.

The polls will pit his sister Yingluck Shinawatra against his arch-foe, current Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva of the elite-backed Democrat Party, in what is expected to be a closely fought battle.

Yingluck is politically inexperienced and many in Thailand feel her nomination as the opposition candidate for premier confirms Thaksin's central role in the kingdom's political landscape despite living in exile.

Thaksin, hailed by many rural and working class Thais for his populist policies for the masses but loathed by the Bangkok-based elite, which sees him as corrupt and authoritarian, admitted he still has influence.

"Well, I may influence in terms of the ideas and thinking because I have more experience than others and then I just want to see them have success," he told the programme which aired late Monday.

"And I just share my experience as former prime minister and the experience of running around the whole world."

But he denied his sister was his puppet, instead saying she was his "clone".

"Well, she's my youngest sister. She worked for me from the beginning. So I teach her, I train her, the working habit style is nearly exactly like me," he said.

He said clone means "the same culture, the same background, the same ideas, the same attitude, the same thinking."

Yingluck has made clear that an amnesty for those on political charges is a priority, but Thaksin denied it was all about getting his slate wiped clean so he could return to politics.

"No, it's not," he said.

"Reconciliation is the priority, not the amnesty. Reconciliation: amnesty may be part of it, but not all.

"In the process, bring back unity of the country. I'm part of that. Then, I might benefit as part of it, but I don't care much because I'm quite settled outside."

Thaksin said he wants to return to Thailand by the end of the year to wish King Bhumibol Adulyadej a happy 84th birthday, but played down suggestions that his ultimate goal was to once again rule the country.

"My youngest sister is already there, so no need for me to go back as a prime minister," he said, insisting he just wanted to lecture and play golf.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-31

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This reporter can be very investigative and study the number of timed PTP leaders and MPs have flown to Dubai this year, and monitor the number of phone calls and teleconferences between the two. the fact that Thaksin himself announced Yingluck as the PM candidate for the party says it all. the 'clone' comment didn't help but that probably just Thaksin using the wrong word.

but played down suggestions that his ultimate goal was to once again rule the country.

"My youngest sister is already there, so no need for me to go back as a prime minister," he said, insisting he just wanted to lecture and play golf.

Ruling the country and my sister already there. Sums it up nicely <_<

"loathed by the Bangkok-based elite" - hes also hated by many many normal rural working class Thais - many vote against him - many would like to if the bosses didnt threaten to sack them if they didnt support Thaksin. In the Northeast and Chiang Mai theres a mafia like protection of thaksin which MANY working class Thais would like to break out of. Many MANY elitist Thais support him - remember he is part of the Chinese elite who made a reputation because his policies were publicised as helping the poor.

"Well, I may influence in terms of the ideas and thinking because I have more experience than others and then I just want to see them have success," he told the programme which aired late Monday." Thaksinian for - ill pull the strings from afar as i have for the last 5 years!!

He said clone means "the same culture, the same background, the same ideas, the same attitude, the same thinking." - When you come back - take an English course!! There are many on offer in Bangkok............

"Reconciliation is the priority, not the amnesty." - Then why start the terrorism in the first place - Thailand was quiet till you started - ohhhh the red mob cries - what about the airport?? If not for Thaksin there4 would be no need for a PAD!!

"My youngest sister is already there, so no need for me to go back as a prime minister," - translates into - I dont want to be Prime Minister - I want to be the first PRESIDENT!!! as the stickers around Silom said during the red terrorism last year!!

Now have a look at this link and see if Thaksin LIES!!!

QUOTE "I will come back and do it myself"

Thailand needs help for the poor, it needs to have a gradualk change to democracy for the people - but it doesnt need Khun Thaksin!!

but played down suggestions that his ultimate goal was to once again rule the country.

Ruling the country and my sister already there. Sums it up nicely <_<

Someone has to rule the country.

If you take into account the 2015 ASEAN integration, Thaksin had good relation with all the top regional powers, Singapore, Japan, China ...

On the other hand, since the coup, first the military then the democrats have succeeded in alienating almost all of Thailand neighbours, starting with Singapore.

When Thaksin was developing privileged relation with Singapore, the PAD and its suporter were singing the praises of the Philippines and its "people power" protests. The Philippines ! Probably the most dysfunctional country in South East Asia !!!!

If you want Thailand to stay a cheap, back water country, cheap beers, cheap girls, lousy immigration policy, Thaksin is definitively not for you.

But if you're involved in international business, you want to take advantage of the central position of Bangkok in South East Asia, live in a dynamic country, well integrated in a the last fast growing part of the world but with all the advantages of a tropical paradise ...

Someone has to rule the country.

If you take into account the 2015 ASEAN integration, Thaksin had good relation with all the top regional powers, Singapore, Japan, China ...

On the other hand, since the coup, first the military then the democrats have succeeded in alienating almost all of Thailand neighbours, starting with Singapore.

When Thaksin was developing privileged relation with Singapore, the PAD and its suporter were singing the praises of the Philippines and its "people power" protests. The Philippines ! Probably the most dysfunctional country in South East Asia !!!!

If you want Thailand to stay a cheap, back water country, cheap beers, cheap girls, lousy immigration policy, Thaksin is definitively not for you.

But if you're involved in international business, you want to take advantage of the central position of Bangkok in South East Asia, live in a dynamic country, well integrated in a the last fast growing part of the world but with all the advantages of a tropical paradise ...

I think the only country that Thailand is in the bad books with is Cambodia, and that's only in relation to the border. Thailand is still one of Cambodia's major trading partners.

How have Thailand alienated other countries in the region?

In the ABC interview, Thaksin described himself as politically inexperienced when he became PM.

That was after getting into politics in 1994 and becoming Foreign Minister, DPM in 1996 and then starting up his own party in 1998.

Compare that to Yingluck, who in 5 weeks could become PM with ... NO ... previous political experience.

How does a PM deal with international politics without any political experience?

Well, experience is all well and good, but I suppose Thaksin is arguing that knowledge is more important. He implies that, because all his business is done in family circles, Yinglak has as much knowledge of politics as he does. Is that an insult to Thaksin or a compliment to Yinglak?

It never fails to amaze me that, in some cases in this country, architects become qualified as soon as they have a pencil, teachers are qualified because they have previously attended a school or that politicians are qualified because they have previously voted.

Jurgen says ...

while suggesting that Thaksin would help with this .....

Frankly, if you are "involved in international business" you want to be doing business in a country where you aren't facing the massive levels of corruption that were fostered to an even higher-level under Thaksin. You want to be on as level of a playing field as possible, which means not competing with the PM or his cronies in a game that is stacked in his favor. Singapore is better positioned strategically than Thailand and has fewer issues etc ... but it is Singapore ...

Jurgen's argument that Thailand has alienated its neighbors doesn't hold any water either. The borders are open to Cambodia -- even when Thaksin's ally Hun Sen (and his FM) were calling it "war" ....

Lastly, Thaksin alone was responsible for much of the disruption to life in Thailand since 2005 ...... all of which was bad for business yet amazingly business is still flourishing here.

If you think Thaksin is good for foreigners involved in business in Thailand I suggest you have a chat with William L. Monson

In the ABC interview, Thaksin described himself as politically inexperienced when he became PM.

That was after getting into politics in 1994 and becoming Foreign Minister, DPM in 1996 and then starting up his own party in 1998.

Compare that to Yingluck, who in 5 weeks could become PM with ... NO ... previous political experience.

How does a PM deal with international politics without any political experience?

Where is the problem? She will not be alone, but will work with a team.

It would be worse if she would have never done anything else than be a politician.

It would be worse if she would have never done anything else than be a politician.

If only it was that easy.

Abhisit says Thaksin not sincere in reconciliation

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Tueday alleged that former PM Thaksin Shinawatra was not sincere in pushing for political reconciliation.

Abhisit said while Thaksin said he wanted the country to have reconciliation, he still used intimidation tactic to try to reach hips political goal.

Abhisit was referring to Thaksin's statement that the red-shirt people would come out to protest if the Pheu Thai won an election but was blocked from setting up a government.

"Everything must proceed in accordance with the system. He said he wants reconciliation but he has never stopped using intimidation," Abhisit said.

"To create reconciliation in the country, the society must be the society that respects the rule of law instead of using intimidation or force. The people should be allowed to express their free opinion through an election and this will guarantee peace in the society."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-31

Abhisit was referring to Thaksin's statement that the red-shirt people would come out to protest if the Pheu Thai won an election but was blocked from setting up a government.

So if PTP "wins" the election but are "blocked" from setting up government because they can't get enough support to form a majority, will the red shirts come out to protest?

Jurgen says ...

Frankly, if you are "involved in international business" you want to be doing business in a country where you aren't facing the massive levels of corruption that were fostered to an even higher-level under Thaksin. You want to be on as level of a playing field as possible, which means not competing with the PM or his cronies in a game that is stacked in his favor. Singapore is better positioned strategically than Thailand and has fewer issues etc ... but it is Singapore ...

Transparency International reported that Thailand's reputation for transparency among business executives improved during the years of the Thaksin government. In 2001, Thailand's Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) was 3.2 (ranked 61), whereas in 2005, the CPI was 3.8 (ranked 59), then went down after 2006.

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/in_detail

For a table that shows the evolution of Thailand among business executive before, during and after Thaksin administration : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

And a recent thread here : Widespread corruption undermining business, causing companies to invest money elsewhere

And that you can't blame on Thaksin.

Why do you think the international airport was finished during Thaksin administration and never before ?

Check your facts next time ...

Why do you think the international airport was finished during Thaksin administration and never before ?

There are people who wonder when the new airport was finished, certainly not at it's opening <_<

May 2000:

http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg08448.html

May 2005:

"Scanner scandal may delay new airport’s opening"

From December 2007:

"AoT will withdraw defamation suit

The board of Airports of Thailand (AoT) on Thursday resolved to withdraw a criminal defamation lawsuit filed against Post Publishing Plc over news reports about cracks in the runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport published in the Bangkok Post two years ago, AoT spokesman Chirmsak Pinthong said.

However, since the AoT's court complaint against Post Publishing was made on the instruction of then transport minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal, AoT must seek approval from the Transport Ministry prior to withdrawing the suit."

http://thailandpost.blogspot.com/2007_12_16_archive.html

BTW was it k. Banharn or k. Sanoh who made some profit by providing sand and gravel by the truck load?

Transparency International reported that Thailand's reputation for transparency among business executives improved during the years of the Thaksin government. In 2001, Thailand's Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) was 3.2 (ranked 61), whereas in 2005, the CPI was 3.8 (ranked 59), then went down after 2006.

http://www.transpare.../2010/in_detail

For a table that shows the evolution of Thailand among business executive before, during and after Thaksin administration : http://en.wikipedia....rceptions_Index

And a recent thread here : Widespread corruption undermining business, causing companies to invest money elsewhere

http://www.thaivisa....oney-elsewhere/

And that you can't blame on Thaksin.

Check your facts next time ...

My facts are fine .....

You are discussing reputation. :)

Funny you should mention transparency and the airport (and corruption!)

Reputation is a fickle thing ... but as you look at the flow of foreign investment in Thailand over the years you will only see about 3 low spikes with rapid corrections. Again, I suggest you call Mr Monson and ask him about business in Thailand .... Then again you could just ask me. I feel far safer in the current environment doing business in Thailand than I did under Thaksin :)

Maybe you missed out on some points of the wiki you present as factual .....

Statistics like this are, by nature, imprecise; statistics from different years aren't necessarily comparable. The ICCR itself explains, "…year-to-year changes in a country's score result not only from a changing perception of a country's performance but also from a changing sample and methodology.

By the self-assessed non-comparable year on year table Thailand was worse off AFTER Thaksin came into power --- and worse when his proxy party was in place than it is now. The airport you seem proud of was plagued with corruption scandals ... how Thaksin dealt with those scandals is well know. (He sued anyone accusing him of corruption --- something he cannot do now since he has been found guilty of corruption!)

The thread you quote for widespread corruption measures the years Thaksin was in office as well as years he was not ... about 50/50 and doesn't make a statement about it being better then than now.

From the OP in that thread ----

Hilde Tonne, deputy head of Telenor Group, which runs the DTAC cellular company, said broadband penetration here is a dismal 10 per cent.

"And there's a reason for that," she said.

Could that reason be Thaksin's illegal tampering in the industry whilst he was PM ... making sure that AIS and Shin held dominance?

I don't think anyone will argue that there is not rampant corruption in Thailand ... you will find many that will argue that the Dems are more transparent than Thaksin ever was.

Edited by jdinasia

So if PTP "wins" the election but are "blocked" from setting up government because they can't get enough support to form a majority, will the red shirts come out to protest?

What you think?

What you think?

Personally I'd say 'yes', but I've been wrong before, like in 1997 I think :ermm:

^^^ It's all a problem of perception.

I give you the reports of a reputable international organization. You reply statistic can't be trusted.

You ask me to call Mr Manson. I reply why should I trust a disgruntled ex business associate. Why don't you also bring Prachai Leophai-ratana ? An other bankrupt businessman and great supporter of the PAD. With Sondhi, they all have something in common : they all went bankrupt and then blame Thaksin for not bailing them out. Fine people indeed.

Edited by JurgenG

What you think?

100% sure of it. Because they don't understand what a "Majority" means.

^^^ It's all a problem of perception.

I give you the reports of a reputable international organization. You reply statistic can't be trusted.

You ask me to call Mr Manson. I reply why should I trust a disgruntled ex business associate. Why don't you also bring Prachai Leophai-ratana ? An other bankrupt businessman and great supporter of the PAD. With Sondhi, they all have something in common : they all went bankrupt and then blame Thaksin for not bailing them out. Fine people indeed.

Please read what I wrote --- my quotes are from your sources and they said that you cannot use year on year comparisons ... and that what was being measured was perception and not reality and only in the public sector. I didn't reply the statistic can't be trusted .. I quoted your source that stated that year on year comparisons were not valid. I also pointed out your flawed argument about the airport, particularly in light of discussing transparency and corruption. Finally, I pointed out a statement from private sector business that had to compete with Thaksin's company while he was PM. Please note that it is not me but the Thai courts that stated Thaksin was still in control of his businesses whilst PM .. and that he changed laws to benefit his company over the competition.

William Monson is the man's name. The other people are not an issue.

You do realize that you are rooting for a man convicted of corruption (abuse of power) that has scads of other corruption cases lined up against him ..... Yeah -- it is about perception management :) I do business in Thailand and certainly am more comfortable with the Dems running things than I was when Thaksin was running things. Looking at his behavior since he was ousted only makes me a more ardent believer that Thaksin himself is bad for Thailand.

That nonsense about his also lacking political experience was just one of several ridiculous spins of his during the interview. It, like others, didn't hold any water with reality.

Jurgen says ...

Jurgen's argument that Thailand has alienated its neighbors doesn't hold any water either. The borders are open to Cambodia -- even when Thaksin's ally Hun Sen (and his FM) were calling it "war" ....

Lastly, Thaksin alone was responsible for much of the disruption to life in Thailand since 2005 ...... all of which was bad for business yet amazingly business is still flourishing here.

If you think Thaksin is good for foreigners involved in business in Thailand I suggest you have a chat with William L. Monson

Additional reality of the current government...

Economic growth reached a 15-year high of 7.8 percent last year and stocks that have been among Asia's best performers over the past 12 months.

Foreign investors have bought a net $871 million of Thai stocks this year, the second-most in Southeast Asia after Indonesia.

Bloomberg - May 16, 2011

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-05-16/fugitive-thaksin-s-sister-picked-to-lead-thailand-opposition.html

Last time I heard this argument it was in support of G.W. Bush... that didn't work all that well, did it? :rolleyes:

I dont see a problem either, as you said she will have a team of politicians to work with and guide her. She will also have a brother who led the country and is now very experienced to also guide her with the dealings within Thailand and Internationally. Not to mention the Thai Police and Military that also seem to be on her side.

I dont see a problem either, as you said she will have a team of politicians to work with and guide her. She will also have a brother who led the country and is now very experienced to also guide her with the dealings within Thailand and Internationally. Not to mention the Thai Police and Military that also seem to be on her side.

So what's the point of her being there?