Rent A Taxi Cab In Bangkok

I have a good offer for rent a car minimum 2 month, but it is not a „normal" car … it is a taxi cab from a taxi company in bangkok.

Do I have to expect problems if farang is driving a taxi. I will drive only for rent a car, not for working as a taxidriver, is it a usual act that farang rent a taxi cab (I have never seen a farang driving a taxi)?

Thanks in advance for advice …

Peter

I would seriously doubt the amount of interest it would raise with the boys in brown could possibly offset the cheaper rental.

yepp, driving a car registered as a taxi, among a bunch of other vehicles, is for Thai nationals only. Even if you dont get payed

you cannot be serious with this post surely?:annoyed:

Sure I ask serious. No joke.

People did make me that offer, but I am right now in process of examine if only thai nationals are allowed driving/ renting a thai cab.

Wait for answer from company ...

People did make me that offer, but I am right now in process of examine if only thai nationals are allowed driving/ renting a thai cab.

Thai labor law prohibits foreigners from driving any sort of vehicle for hire.

If the taxi you're looking to rent hasn't be re-registered as a private vehicle (white plate with black letters), you wiil be found to be in violation of several laws, working w/out a work permit, driving a vehicle for hire w/out an appropriate license, perhaps working on a visa the prohibits employment, and probably some more I'm missing ;)

The "oh but I wasn't taking fares" argument just won't wash - if it's registered and marked as a taxi, and not already carrying paying passengers, you cannot refuse a fare under Thai law. Catch-22.

Even if it has been re-registered with black-on-white plates, it must then not include any taxi signs, or any other markings identifying it as a taxi - otherwise you'd be breaking the law again..

Your risk though ;)

If you do decide to go ahead, please do try to get some posts in here (when not incarcerated, or perhaps after your deportation), so we can see how you went! :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

... driving a car registered as a taxi, among a bunch of other vehicles, is for Thai nationals only. ...

...Thai labor law prohibits foreigners from driving any sort of vehicle for hire....

That's right, inquiring officials guys did result in same answers. :jap:

To rent a taxi is really not a good idea ...

if it's registered and marked as a taxi, and not already carrying paying passengers, you cannot refuse a fare under Thai law. Catch-22.

Jing jing? I get refused all the time when I want to go home to Lad Prao during busy / peak hours because of notoriously bad traffic out here, especially if it is raining and the junction at Imperial Lad Prao is flooded. You're telling me that the driver has no choice in the matter? How about during shift-change times when the driver has to return to his base to hand off the taxi to the next driver? Can I insist that the driver go out of his way for me instead? Singapore has a reasonable system - show a changing shift sign with the area he is going, but never seen like this in Thailand.

... driving a car registered as a taxi, among a bunch of other vehicles, is for Thai nationals only. ...

...Thai labor law prohibits foreigners from driving any sort of vehicle for hire....

That's right, inquiring officials guys did result in same answers. :jap:

To rent a taxi is really not a good idea ...

Wow, thank goodness I read this thread just in time!

if it's registered and marked as a taxi, and not already carrying paying passengers, you cannot refuse a fare under Thai law. Catch-22.

Jing jing? I get refused all the time when I want to go home to Lad Prao during busy / peak hours because of notoriously bad traffic out here, especially if it is raining and the junction at Imperial Lad Prao is flooded. You're telling me that the driver has no choice in the matter? How about during shift-change times when the driver has to return to his base to hand off the taxi to the next driver? Can I insist that the driver go out of his way for me instead? Singapore has a reasonable system - show a changing shift sign with the area he is going, but never seen like this in Thailand.

Yep same problem here on those rare occasions when I use one I've been refused many times either due to distance or destination..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep same problem here on those rare occasions when I use one I've been refused many times either due to distance or destination..

Sure it's true. But if you live here surely you aren't surprised to see a difference between what the law says and what actually happens...

Sure it's true. But if you live here surely you aren't surprised to see a difference between what the law says and what actually happens...

I'm not, that's why I posted in agreement, in spite of what the law "says" this type of apparent violation is practiced on a daily basis, TiT..