Wireless/Portable Internet For Laptop In Bkk

Hello

First of all - I'm green, I know nothing about technology. I get so confused when I read all this 3g wi-fi, EDGE stuff.

and I need internet. I live in Bangkok, Udomsuk area. I have a laptop. There is no internet in my building, I can get something installed (TOT) but it's expensive and I thought I would be nice to have the internet with me all the time.

What to choose for a laptop? I got some flyiers form TRUE but as it's all in thai I dont get much from it.

I understand I need a portable, usb modem? Ar a thing called air card? What's the difference? What to go for?

A pre payed, top up system like my mobile phone would be nice.

What about the speeds? will it be comfortable to work with?

Any help much appreciated,

best

MK

I am a computer illiterate.

I have an iphone 4 with wifi. I can use the wifi in many places which have free wifi like Starbucks or english pubs like Bulls Head.

I have an account with AIS for phone and pay approx, 600 Baht (I think ) a month for free unlimited hours internet connection when I cannot pick up a wifi connection.

At home I have aTOT ccount and a wifi connection which i bought the box from TOT for about 2000 Baht and pay about 600Baht a month for a good wifi fast connection.

Hope this helps.

I am a computer illiterate.

I have an iphone 4 with wifi. I can use the wifi in many places which have free wifi like Starbucks or english pubs like Bulls Head.

I have an account with AIS for phone and pay approx, 600 Baht (I think ) a month for free unlimited hours internet connection when I cannot pick up a wifi connection.

At home I have aTOT ccount and a wifi connection which i bought the box from TOT for about 2000 Baht and pay about 600Baht a month for a good wifi fast connection.

Hope this helps.

AIS is probably only offering you a relatively slow EDGE connection.

I am in Udom Suk, from Sukhumvit all the way out to Ram2 often, and have both True 3G and TOT 3G signal(s).

Do you know how much data you will use per month (in MB)?

Can you see any WiFi networks? Maybe you could ask a neighbor, and offer to pay/share?

If higher-speed mobile broadband is required you should consider a True 3G or TOT 3G SIM/data plan, assuming you are in metro-Bangkok.

In all but a few cases mobile broadband (3G) is not really a suitable replacement for fixed-line DSL. So if your monthly usage is north of 3GB (up and down), or even 5 GB, then you should consider fixed-line DSL from TOT or True. You can get a 6 Mbps/512 Kbps line for ~ 600 baht/month, and download hundreds of GB.

Edited by lomatopo