Road Bike Stolen In Chiang Mai

masher

Hi folks!

I've been traveling around the world for over two years with my bicycle. Sadly, it had to happen in this nice city of Chiang Mai, in the wat Umong- my bicycle got stolen from a person who pretended to come to the wat for meditation. The management of the wat takes no care of proper registration of the people coming to stay in the meditation center, which allowed the thief to come and leave undisturbed. Too bad, cyclists know- the bike is not just a mean of transportation, its a part of you, its the pen with which you write your story. I maintain a hope to find my bike, and I hope good people could help me. It is a relatively big road bike by most standards (frame 60 cm, wheels 26"), I made the racks myself, I changed the derailleur and the chain few days before the bike got stolen. It looks like an old bicycle, but gosh it is priceless for me! If you see it, it might not look exactly like on the picture below, already when taking it, the thief took off the red tape around the handlebar and threw away the pomp. But well...have I other choice but to try...

If you come across a bike which looks like this, or someone tries to sell it to you, or you have any idea where I could look for it, please write back to me or better- call me at 08 1681 4125.

I am willing to give a good reward, as well!

Thank you!

Nathan

post-133059-0-82767100-1306906766_thumb.

Edited by masher

Masher

It's a shame that things like that happen here in Thailand. I can only offer this small piece of advice: Lock your bike ALL the time nn matter where you go. If you're at a hotel bring it into the lobby and lock it. I have never had a hotel tell me that I could not keep the bike inside at night and if they did I would simply change hotels or ask to speak with the manager. I had my camera stolen right off my bike as my back was turned paying for a meal. Sadly Thailand today is not the same Thailand of old.

Masher

It's a shame that things like that happen here in Thailand. I can only offer this small piece of advice: Lock your bike ALL the time nn matter where you go. If you're at a hotel bring it into the lobby and lock it. I have never had a hotel tell me that I could not keep the bike inside at night and if they did I would simply change hotels or ask to speak with the manager. I had my camera stolen right off my bike as my back was turned paying for a meal. Sadly Thailand today is not the same Thailand of old.

I am so sorry to hear this. Just very terrible for you.

Masher

I am so sorry to hear this. Just very terrible for you.

Thank you guys! I've been traveling around the world for over 5 years and never ever such a thing happened before. Any ideas where they sell second hand bikes in Chiang Mai and around?

Sorry to hear of your loss real bummer, hope you have some success in getting it back but doubtfull at best. They will probably break it down and sell the pieces, as it would not fit many Thais.

Regards

Hi, thanks! Luckily, we found the bike in the same shape as it was when stolen. I guess the thief had realised that its a tough one to sell due to its size, and just left it at the train station. I was really surprised he didn't take it apart...

Sorry to hear of your loss real bummer, hope you have some success in getting it back but doubtfull at best. They will probably break it down and sell the pieces, as it would not fit many Thais.

Regards

Great news Masher! Now your next step should be to visit one of the bike shops in CM to buy a lock.

I also learned the hard way while on tour to Vietnam. I was visiting the Citadel in Hue and parked my bike right next to a cashier's window asking her to watch the bike. I came back 30 minutes later and the bike was gone. I immediately got this terrible sinking feeling in the bootom of my gut. What the heck do I do now????? Lucky for me an employee "borrowed" the bike because felt he just had to try out this magnificant bicycle of mine. That was the last time I've ever left the bike unlocked anywhere for any reason.

Sorry to hear of your theft. At the Wat no less. I've known 6 folks that have had bikes stolen in Chiang Mai and theft is very common here. 3 of my friends had cable locks that were cut. (Easy to do with bolt cutters.) You really need to keep your bike in sight. Here are some locations where some of these thefts occurred:

CMU campus (2 of them).

Huay Gaew Road across from the Shell Station. (Owner was eating 30 feet away, bike was cable locked to a post.)

Market at the corner of Suthep Road and Canal Road (9AM).

At home over a high fence not far from Wat Jedi Luang.

(None of the thefts were after dark.)