2012 Ninja 650R- First Look!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told at the earliest Late November to mid December for my 'F' (ninja) model, thank god i reserved mine 6 weeks ago, hence the reason i'm 4th on the list.

You'll have to place a 10k deposit if you want any chance of getting one this year mate :)

Well with the experience of quite a few Kawasaki launches under our belt, we know that it helps to shop around. While one dealer will tell you impossible and 6 months, and pshshhhhht buy our old models right now, another will tell you 2 weeks and deliver on time.

Ask around! I haven't asked our local Kawa dealer (CM) as I won't be buying one but I can ask him tomorrow if you like. He's been very accurate with his predictions.

not sure where the kawa factory is... But will the flood not stop the new models? Or delay productions???

saw on tv that honda and toyota has closed down... Kawa???

wish you best of luck... Ride safely, new or old ninja's...

The factory is on high ground in Pluak Daeng, Rayong, but flooding could still disrupt parts supplies and logistics...

I've been told at the earliest Late November to mid December for my 'F' (ninja) model, thank god i reserved mine 6 weeks ago, hence the reason i'm 4th on the list.

You'll have to place a 10k deposit if you want any chance of getting one this year mate :)

Well with the experience of quite a few Kawasaki launches under our belt, we know that it helps to shop around. While one dealer will tell you impossible and 6 months, and pshshhhhht buy our old models right now, another will tell you 2 weeks and deliver on time.

Ask around! I haven't asked our local Kawa dealer (CM) as I won't be buying one but I can ask him tomorrow if you like. He's been very accurate with his predictions.

Thanks Nikster, the owner of my local dealer is a sound guy and everything he has told me so far has been spot on.

It wouldn't hurt if you did ask your dealer when passing by sometime :)

I'll go back to mine tomorrow and confirm what colour i want, as i placed my deposit 6 weeks ago :D

Not to sure where the precise position of the airbox snorkles (inlet) was on the previous model. But the 2012 ER6N seems to making the most of it's twin tube frame, placing each snorkel between the frame's tubes!

With the addition of the contoured plastics and air intake, this will provide plenty of air for the engine. Not that there was anything wrong with the old model, but has Kawasaki tried to incorporate a very basic ram air set up in this instance, resulting in a little more top-end satisfaction? :)

post-59428-0-57601500-1318600533_thumb.j

post-59428-0-87220800-1318600698_thumb.j

Not to sure where the precise position of the airbox snorkles (inlet) was on the previous model. But the 2012 ER6N seems to making the most of it's twin tube frame, placing each snorkel between the frame's tubes!

With the addition of the contoured plastics and air intake, this will provide plenty of air for the engine. Not that there was anything wrong with the old model, but has Kawasaki tried to incorporate a very basic ram air set up in this instance, resulting in a little more top-end satisfaction? :)

It's an all new airbox but I doubt very much it's pressurized so forget about ram air on Kawasaki's budget sport bike. Certainly if the snorkels are able to draw cooler air that will be a good thing. The current model draws air from right above / behind the radiator which really isn't ideal.

It's an all new airbox but I doubt very much it's pressurized so forget about ram air on Kawasaki's budget sport bike. Certainly if the snorkels are able to draw cooler air that will be a good thing. The current model draws air from right above / behind the radiator which really isn't ideal.

Indeed cooler air than that passing through or above the radiator would be more ideal, how ever on the 'F" version the airbox doesn't get quite the direct cool air flow as the 'n'.

Differences will be minimal but i do hope the is drawn away from the rad on the 'F' version :)

• 3 weeks later...

Don't do it. It's a necessary evil. I switched to the Ermax color matched undertail and every time I rode on a wet surface, I'd end up looking like a skunk, my back and the pillion seat would get covered in muddy water. Even tried bending the plate out as far as I could get it. The gf only rode pillion once like that, never again. Stock tail went back on after a week.

Couldn't you do an extra rear hugger somewhere on the outside? Halfway up on the back. That would prevent the tire from splashing water all over your back... I've seen that on some bikes.

Could I guess...but it would have to be 3 or 4 times longer than the stock one. Stock doesn't come close to preventing spray.

Don't do it. It's a necessary evil. I switched to the Ermax color matched undertail and every time I rode on a wet surface, I'd end up looking like a skunk, my back and the pillion seat would get covered in muddy water. Even tried bending the plate out as far as I could get it. The gf only rode pillion once like that, never again. Stock tail went back on after a week.

Couldn't you do an extra rear hugger somewhere on the outside? Halfway up on the back. That would prevent the tire from splashing water all over your back... I've seen that on some bikes.

Could I guess...but it would have to be 3 or 4 times longer than the stock one. Stock doesn't come close to preventing spray.

I v got a R&G tail tidy from ninja650shopdotcom on my 2011. Bracket is tilted to hold plate approx 20-30degrees from horisontal. No splash on either rearlight, seat or passengers back. Using stock indicators, as the diode ones are not very visible

Had the same tidy on my 2010, but never tilted the bracket, so all wet in the rain, and invisible diode indicators

I v got a R&G tail tidy from ninja650shopdotcom on my 2011. Bracket is tilted to hold plate approx 20-30degrees from horisontal. No splash on either rearlight, seat or passengers back. Using stock indicators, as the diode ones are not very visible

Had the same tidy on my 2010, but never tilted the bracket, so all wet in the rain, and invisible diode indicators

Do you have a picture of that (installed on the bike)?

not yet, will take some

not yet, will take some

post-81971-0-57878200-1320897842_thumb.jpost-81971-0-00686500-1320897902_thumb.j

post-81971-0-40137500-1320897952_thumb.jpost-81971-0-98601000-1320898000_thumb.j

got new Phuket plate yesterday, thus some pics without plate displaying the bracket. Lower numbers on plate get dirty. Province and letters and rear light slight splash, black cover and seat nothing.

Max 100 kmh and rain so far only twice, so not sure yet if lack of dirt is valid at speed. So far best tail tidy solution I have had :)

Looks much better with all the plastic removed.

Thanks for the pictures it's given me a template to work with for when my 2012 arrives.

As for when the 2012 arrives it was confirmed by my dealer today "at the end of the year"......... Knowing my luck prob the 31st Dec lol, but on a more serious note i'm aware of the bikes reasons for being delayed and i hope the land is dry for all soon :)

And don't forget the little extra protection you got from the Hello Kitty license plate frame. :D

I just noticed that where ever it's not called an ER6f, Kawasaki has officially changed the name of the Ninja 650R to Ninja 650, sans the "R", in 2012.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

And don't forget the little extra protection you got from the Hello Kitty license plate frame. :D

hehehe, for those who dont know, my first ninja650 back in 2009 had a hello kitty plate frame and my GF Ninja650 had Untaman (well thats ultraman in english)

I also had pink slippers for riding, well thats a lie :whistling:

was quiet a change to go from a black 1800cc +100hp cruiser to tiny ninja650, so I thought hello kitty was appropiate. :D

Thanks for the pictures it's given me a template to work with for when my 2012 arrives.

As for when the 2012 arrives it was confirmed by my dealer today "at the end of the year"......... Knowing my luck prob the 31st Dec lol, but on a more serious note i'm aware of the bikes reasons for being delayed and i hope the land is dry for all soon :)

yeah, seems like Nissin TH are still unable to deliver brake parts

I thought Tokico made the brakes, maybe they just make the slave units (calipers) and Nissin make the rest of the assembly? :)

I just recently noticed the pillion seat cover on Kawasaki's website it's huge!

Well i guess the pillion's seat is on the lardy side too, i hope something more fitting for the lines of the bike pops up on the market :)

post-59428-0-44313800-1321456092_thumb.j

post-59428-0-06150000-1321456103_thumb.j

All Kawasaki 650's use Tokico brakes and they are unchanged on the new model-

post-56035-0-54157100-1321456859_thumb.j

As i thought :)

Will you be buying another ER Tony, or are you looking at other stables now that you have had the 'N' 'F' and Versys? :)

Will you be buying another ER Tony, or are you looking at other stables now that you have had the 'N' 'F' and Versys? :)

I'm happy with the Versys for go-anywhere touring and the non-ABS '09 ER6n "rr" as a track toy.

Other than the updated styling I don't really see anything about the new generation Ninja 650 / ER6n that really appeals to me and it really bugs me that the suspension hasn't been updated and they got heavier...

The new Versys 1000 sure looks appealing as a sport-touring machine, but I don't think we'll see that in Thailand any time soon.

Gixxer has been gathering dust and now that the rains are finished it's time to get her back out on the road!

Ride On!

Tony :lol:

Tokico calipers, take a look and tell me how many Nissin labelled parts

I'm happy with the Versys for go-anywhere touring and the non-ABS '09 ER6n "rr" as a track toy.

Other than the updated styling I don't really see anything about the new generation Ninja 650 / ER6n that really appeals to me and it really bugs me that the suspension hasn't been updated and they got heavier...

The new Versys 1000 sure looks appealing as a sport-touring machine, but I don't think we'll see that in Thailand any time soon.

Gixxer has been gathering dust and now that the rains are finished it's time to get her back out on the road!

Ride On!

Tony :lol:

That's a pretty nice stable you have there Tony :)

If i had an ER already then i too wouldn't see much point in buying the new model.

But as i don't have a big bike at the moment the new model despite it's weight gain seems to be the better buy for me right now.

I did try to get the guys at red baron to knock their Honda SP2 down to 300,000 baht and with a 30% deposit as apposed to their standard 40% down payment scheme, i think i could of got it down to some where close to the what i wanted to buy it for BUT the 40% down payment would screw me at this time of year and 9%APR too!. ER6F it is then, no hassle, warranty, parts etc etc i just hope i don't get bored of it too quickly.......

Today a confirmed price was announced for both the 'n' & 'f' variants (ABS models)

ER6-N will be released for sale on the 30th November and weighs in at 250,000B

Available in White or Black...... No Yellow....? (I love the yellow model)

ER6-F (Ninja 650) will be sold for 265,000B but still no date confirmed, just mention of it being available early December.

Available in Candy green or Black..... No red....?

So that works out as an extra 8000B for the new 'F' model, which isn't too bad considering the complete overhaul and the extra 5kgs or so of steel lol :D

Ummmm is the exhaust system one piece?

Looks like i might be waiting a while longer until i can get a nice aftermarket exhaust unless i want to get creative with a Mig / Tig welder and fit a 2011 can......

It sure looks like they've welded the headers right on to the can doesn't it? Kind of a PITA when it comes to ditching the stock exhaust... It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers come up with to mate their slip on's with that oversized expansion chamber.

2012ER6nExhstSSR.jpg

Stopped by the Rama 9 showroom earlier today to check out the new 2012 ER6n and Ninja 650-

2012ER6nWhtRama9SSR.jpg

2012Ninja650Rama9SSR.jpg

Notice they dropped the "R" from the Ninja 650? wink.gif

2012Ninja650NoRSSR.jpg

Price list confirmed:

2012PriceListSSR.jpg

The styling updates are nice, if that's your thing, but other than the new look I don't see much about the 2012 that's a noticeable improvement over the 2009-2011 models and there are a few things that bug me about the new models.

Putting the ignition on the tank is just dumb IMO. It makes using a tank bag more difficult and it's required them to fashion a rather goofy looking top clamp in order for the steering lock to work:

2012Ninja650TopClampSSR.jpg

The plastic trim on the tank is going to make magnetic tank bags difficult to use with this bike-

2012Ninja650TankTrimSSR.jpg

Another little complaint- you know how the current model has trim panels that cover the bottom edge of the tank? Like this:

Ninja650R2010EbonySSR.jpg

Well, on the new model the bottom of the tank isn't covered, and at 5'10" with a 32" inseam that's right where the top of my knees end up when I'm sitting on the bike and it's not very comfortable...

2012ER6nWhtRHTankSSR.jpg

Also, on the bikes in the showroom the welds along the bottom seam of the tanks weren't terribly clean or smooth. First thing I'd do with one of these bikes is buy some automotive trim and cover those seams.

Minor complaints really. All in all good looking bikes and they should be just as fun and easy to ride as the previous generations.

Look forward to taking one for a spin soon!

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

great looking 2012 Ninja, but boring colors in TH

as Tony points out the new tank with plastic covers and ignition key makes it almost impossible to use a magnetic tank bag

post-81971-0-52073000-1321927720_thumb.j

I use this bag a lot. On and off in 3 seconds, no scratches to tank, and never in the way

the new exhaust seems to have one fix only, after market full system

I will keep my 2011 :D