Penang Hotel Info Needed

JemJem

Before I do some Net-searching, I wanted to ask for the info here in case someone here has had some personal experience or definite knowledge on the matter.

What I am seeking is a hotel room in Penang, clean, with basic amenities, with air-con and with its own bathroom (that's important). TV is not a big deal for me.

It would be nice if it is not too far from the ferry pier (even 20 min. walking distance is fine for me).

So, could I get such a place for 80 ringgit or under per night ?

Cheers,

Jem

Sadly, I have not been to Penang for many years. I suspect your answer will quite likely to be found in Chulia Street. The bottom part of which is close to the ferry AND Little India , which I di miss.Best of Luck, Bill

You could get a room for that price in that area but it would be pretty basic. If you don't mind a longer walk you could try the ymca. They charge around that price, the rooms are very nice but it's the other side of town though.

Two recommendations for you (not sure how far they are exactly from the ferry, but they are not on the other side of town at least):

Star Lodge, 39, Muntri Street Georgetown, 10200, Malaysia

Hang Chow Hotel, No. 511 Leboh Chulia, Georgetown, Pulau Penang 10200, Malaysia

We stayed in the Banana New Guest House, wife thinks it was around 700 Baht, I can't remember. Clean room A/C and bathroom. Beer was a bit warm, on Chulia St, a nice Indian restaurant at the top of the road, didn't look too promising but the food was great.