I Need Hair Help

ono

Okay, I'm in Chiang Mai and have narrowed down the best option to Absulte hair salon over near the Orchid hotel.

I have very thick wavy hair which is best cut layered and it isn't easy for me to find someone good even at home.

So, here 's the question, of the stylists at Absolute does anyone know who does a good job on my kind of hair?

Or if there's another hairdresser elsewhere, I'm open to going wherever but they have to be good.

Mr. Ong is the owner and probably the most versatile stylist. A friend of mine has thick, wavy hair that she wore long and tied back because she couldn't seem to find a stylist and so avoided haircuts. Mr. Ong convinced her to cut it short and to color it to cover the grey that was just starting. She looked 10 years younger when she left the salon.

I also have very thick curly hair and I go to Khun Wit at Hair Pro. He's moved his operations down to Kad Farang in Hang Dong, so its a bit of trek for me to get down there, but completely worth it. He's one of the best hair dressers I've ever had, and that includes back home.

Well I decided to go to Mr. Ong at Absolute ( they now have 2 salons) because the location was convenient for me and I'm very happy with the way he did my hair.

I'd highly recommend him, the best hair cut I've ever had in Asia.

If the OP plans to stay here for a while, it might be worth it to learn enough Thai to be able to talk with a hairdresser. I took lessons at the YMCA, and while they never did cover "going to the hairdreser", I paid for an hour private lesson with one of their teachers to learn all the vocubulary needed to visit a Thai stylist. Admittedly, my hair isn't curly, but it does have a few stubborn waves and is much thicker than the usual Thai hair.

I started out with Mr. Ong at Absolute, and he did a great job, but I thought his prices a little high for someone who has short hair and needs a "clean-up" trim every month. Once he established the patttern for the hair and I learned enough Thai, it was fairly easy to use neighborhood places patronized by Thai for my haircuts.

I found the biggest problem I've had with Thai stylists is that they want to start out with the "thinning shears", to bring the hair volume down to something they're used to. I think I end up looking like a drown animal and am distressed to see all the clouds of hair coming off my head as they use their thinning shears. It seems that most Thai barbers don't have thinning shears (they are fairly expensive), so I've found them to be a great place to get my style "cleaned-up" around the neck and ears.

Edited by NancyL