Getting Divorced In Thailand For A Foreign Marriage

jsgatse

Hello to all.

Some quick background....

I am a US citizen. I was married in 1995 to a dual citizen (US and Italian) in the USA. We moved to Italy in 2007. In 2008, we filed for separation in Italy. In Italy, you must wait 3 years after this filing to then file for divorce. The Italian courts are slow and costly.

I am now living in Thailand and wish to file for divorce.

Are there advantages of doing it here in Thailand (the ex- still lives in Italy)? Has anyone tried this before? I know it's "possible" - but is it a nightmare? Should I just finish the entire thing in Italy?

I would love to hear any and all opinions.

Thanks.

How about we move this over to the Family forum?? :)

Sure! I didn't realize there was one. Do you do that, or do I need to repost in that section?

Thanks!

It's already there! I think you will do better with your post here, rather than General. The General forum and can rough at times. :(

Good luck!!!!!

Get advise from a competent lawyer, but in your case I think it will be difficult as only one party is living here. Isaanlawyers is a good starting point.

If possible, it would be an advantage, as for an uncontested divorce you simply go to the amphur and are divorced in about 20 minutes for maybe 50 baht for some papers you will need to proof the divorce. Next you would have to get the papers legalized by your embasy, which is a more costly procedure, but still only a few thousend baht.