Sending Us Irs Returns To The United States

Has anyone else run into this problem and how did you resolve the problem?

I've recently sent my IRS 1040 return to the US via EMS mail. However, three weeks later I can not verify that the package actually arrived. International US Citizen send their forms to

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service Center

Austin, TX 73301-0215 USA

First, I've found out that EMS services between counties do no reliably communicate. Once outside of the borders of the sending country, EMS tracking is totally hit or miss. In my case, it's been totally a miss. The Chiang Mai PO insists that package was sent. I don't think that know what they are talking about because that had the same piece of tracking paper I had printed in both Thai and England, and I read enough Thai to understand what it said. There was no indication that the package left the International Airport in Bangkok, it only showed it arrived at BBK. I check EMS tracking through USPS in the US and they show that the package never arrived in the US.

I would like to send this via a private courier, but there is not street address to send the package to. How is DHL, UPS, or FedEx suppose to know where to deliver without a steet address. I can't fathom why the IRS does that, especially for International citizens who are not using the EMS mail system which is unreliable. I've looked all over the IRS site but can not find a street address for the Austin IRS Service Center. WHY???

Department of the Treasury

Question: Has anyone other US Citizen gone through the horror show. However did you send your tax returns and be able to track them and proof delivery? Anybody who had done this before: Please help me!!! blink.gif

Signed -- Total confused!

Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215 USA
I don't know what to do. My new accountant in the US said she couldn't file electronically, so I'm stuck sending this via the mail. But sending this via mail from Thailand has turned into a horror show. I just want to get my dam_n taxes files before June 15th.

My new accountant in the US said she couldn't file electronically, so I'm stuck sending this via the mail

Why is this? Every accountant I have used in the past could file electronically, and since I have been here full time I have used TurboTax and Tax Act to file electronically from Thailand. Just curious.

mario299 :blink:

I have always had my accountant back in Los Angeles file electronically. Absolutely no problem at all. Refund deposited to my bank within 10 days.

There are conditions that exclude a person from filing electronically. Found easily on the IRS website

My new accountant in the US said she couldn't file electronically, so I'm stuck sending this via the mail

Why is this? Every accountant I have used in the past could file electronically, and since I have been here full time I have used TurboTax and Tax Act to file electronically from Thailand. Just curious.

I don't know either, but that's what she said. She also charged by about 4 times what my previous accountant charged me, so she will not be my accountant next year. I'm playing with a copy of Turbo Tax and I''m planning on doing my own taxes next year. It look pretty straight forward.

I don't know either, but that's what she said. She also charged by about 4 times what my previous accountant charged me, so she will not be my accountant next year. I'm playing with a copy of Turbo Tax and I''m planning on doing my own taxes next year. It look pretty straight forward.

I used Turbo Tax for about 7 years, found it to be very easy and helpful. This year I switched to TaxAct (because it was free, not the $80 I was paying for Home/Business Turbo Tax), and found it also very easy, helpful and did the job. I recommend either one.

I am now very curious why "some" cannot file electronically?? Maybe I'll look into it on the IRS website.

Good luck!! :rolleyes:

If you list your mailing address as a foreign address, you cannot file electronically. There's a block there on turbo tax that asks something like, "is this a foreign address" or something similar.

And I also just mailed my return registered mail here from Thailand. You can track it online.

You may not be able to file directly but others can file for you with you having an overseas address - I have been doing so for the last decade. Taxact files from there computers and allows overseas address.

If you list your mailing address as a foreign address, you cannot file electronically. There's a block there on turbo tax that asks something like, "is this a foreign address" or something similar.

Having earned income but not have a W2 form also prevents you from e-filing if you use turbortax. I'm told that TaxAct doesn't have that limitation though.

And I also just mailed my return registered mail here from Thailand. You can track it online.

Exactly right. Now I use turbo tax, print and file via mail. I used a relatives address in California for four years(starting 2004) and filed electronically, completely legal. The reason I stopped is because California put a lien on my property for not filing. Their reasoning was generated by my CA. mailing address. It was difficult to clear up. I was told by the franchise tax board that I would continue to have problems because of the mailing address.

I understand your frustration, but if you stay calm all will be well.

First, call the main Bangkok mail center - they speak English and give them your tracking number. Ask them to trace the package and call you back if they need time to research.

Unless, the IRS has changed its rules your mailing date is what counts and you can provide your ems receipt as proof of mailing.

EMS is quite reliable although every now and then there is a problem which is usually fixed within a week.

Seems like probably not a huge problem to sort out, as you have many options, one of which should work or fit your situation:

1. your tax advisor can legally efile for you using their US address as correspondence address , so your tax person is either no good or ignorant/unhelpful. Could try using another, but I'm guessing this would involve too much hassle to solve your immediate problem

2. As suggested send copy by ordinary mail to friend or relative in US to send on for you ; then you will know it's been posted in US.

3. USe DHL or FedEx as they seem to accept tax office addresses even though not strictly street addresses,

4. Best option as speed is really important to you:

Download TurboTax online ( eg purchase on Amazon), this is instant. Do returns using this, often TT will be able to gather all your W2 information online, so you won't even need the physical W2 form (if that has been lost in your previous mailing). As reported, you need a US address to fill in on Turbo Tax to be allowed to electronically file your returns, but it is perfectly legal to put a friend's or family member's address as a correspondence address, and then you can instantly e-file with one click online. If you really want IRS to have your current address, in case future correspondence or queries arise, you can just mail a change of address form to the IRS a few days after your e -filing has been accepted, to update their records. I did this in March - whole process took me 4hrs from download to e-filing and it worked fine.