Thaksin Amnesty 'Not Top Priority'

webfact

Thaksin amnesty 'not top priority'

By THE NATION

Yingluck Shinawatra, Pheu Thai Party's prime ministerial candidate, yesterday shrugged off the rival Democrat Party's claim that an amnesty for her brother, the former premier Thaksin, was her top priority.

She also brushed aside imminent legal moves that question her qualification to contest the July 3 election.

However, her lieutenants in Pheu Thai yesterday sought to dismiss the claim by Democrat leader and PM Abhisit Vejjajiva, and tried to discredit Dr Tul Sitthisomwong and Kaewsun Atibodhi, who have questioned Yingluck's qualifications as a candidate to be PM.

Yingluck, who is Thaksin's youngest sister, said she had become a target for political attacks but was unaware of the reason.

"I will be tolerant as best as I can, and I will continue with presenting the party's policies to people in the constituencies," she said during campaigning in the northeastern province of Nong Khai.

She reiterated that any amnesty in the future would not be for the benefit of Thaksin alone. She was responding to Abhisit's earlier remark that there was a "four-step strategy" for Thaksin to get an amnesty and return to power, with people being used as "ladders" for his climb back to power.

"I don't want to focus my attention on an amnesty now. When an amnesty becomes an issue, the public's views will be heard," she said.

Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Patama claimed yesterday that Abhisit - the Demo-crats' candidate to be PM - attacked Thaksin as he wanted to avoid an electoral law banning candidates from attacking contestants from other parties.

"The law prevents him from directly attacking Yingluck and Pheu Thai, so he smears Thaksin," said Noppadon, who has regularly spoken on Pheu Thai's and Thaksin's behalf.

He said the Democrat leader had lied about the "four-step strategy" because there was no such thing.

Noppadon said Thaksin's legal team was determining whether to take action against Abhisit for defamation. "This has affected the reputation and the honour of Thaksin as a former prime minister."

He described recent moves by Tul and Kaewsun against Yingluck as an attempt to try to undermine her increasing popularity in the run-up to the election.

"People know well which politicians Tul and Kaewsun are close to," Noppadon said.

Tul is leader of a group called the 'multi-coloured shirts' that protested against the red shirts after weeks of anti-government rallies last year, while Kaewsun was a member of the Assets Examination Committee set up after the 2006 coup to investigate corruption allegations against the Thaksin regime.

The pair are seeking a probe by the Department of Special Investigation into whether Yingluck is qualified to contest the poll after allegedly lying - making a false statement - in one of the many corruption cases that Thaksin faced.

Pheu Thai leader Yongyuth Wichaidit said yesterday the party had prepared for such moves, which he said were aimed at hurting its reputation.

The party deputy Plodprasop Suraswadi yesterday linked Tul and Kaewsun to the Democrats, and claimed they were "cowards" for targeting Yingluck.

Yingluck, meanwhile, asked for a meeting yesterday with Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha to discuss national reconciliation.

However, Army spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd said it would be inappropriate for the Army chief to meet any politician in the run-up to the election.

"The Army is pleased to welcome all political parties to campaign inside Army units compounds. What the Army can do is to allow party leaders or their representatives to campaign inside Army areas. But the time is not appropriate for a personal meeting with the Army chief," the spokesman said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-07

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it is true if the Pheu Thai win the election there will be many changes not all nessasery for the good of Thailand. The one thing that will not change is the amnesty for Thaksin. That is the number one priority for the Pheu Thai. Do people really think Thaksin would go to all the truble and expense he has gone to if he could not come back to Thailand free of all criminal charges.

Yingluck is the visible head of a party that is controlled by her brother. She was his choice for the PM job not the parties. To say that bringing back there real leader is not a priority is not exactly a well thought out statement.

"Yingluck, who is Thaksin's youngest sister, said she had become a target for political attacks but was unaware of the reason."

Aha, she is going for the innocent naive girl that doesn't know why everyone is so mean to her role. Do they have a Thai soap opera writer in her PR staff or what?

"Yingluck, who is Thaksin's youngest sister, said she had become a target for political attacks but was unaware of the reason."

It's only a wild guess, on my own 'rather naive' part, but could it possibly be related to her having stood as the PTP number-1 party-list candidate, in the forthcoming election ? :lol:

Surely given her background, as coming from a political-family & having been trained for decades by her older-brother, and having also seen the experience of family-member former-PM Somchai, she might have expected that standing for a political-office might well lead, to the odd political-question on her policies or record ? :ermm:

Or is she not as politically-aware as her election-team would have us believe ? B)

1) The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections.

There are many components absent from the Thai version of democracy. Not the least of these is the respect for individual rights. Think on how this relates to Thailands situation.

2) We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

• Louis Brandeis, U.S. Supreme Court Justice ~ quoted by Raymond Lonergan in, Mr. Justice Brandeis, Great American (1941), p. 42

Who provides wealth for Thailand if the rich elite do not? Could the rice farmers and those who sleep in their wooden houses with their Hang Song by their side do it - Or is this election all about whether Thais want the present dictatorship or Thgaksins dictatorship to return? If it is then i believe there is nothing for westerners to debate on this forum.

3) Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Widely attributed to Benjamin Franklin

Further evidence that there is a line of thought which says that there is more to democracy than mere numbers.

I look forward to seeing Abhisit really going to town over this whole Amnesty during the rest of the campaign, because as much as the 30%-40% of PT-supporting Thai citizens might be all for it, opposition from all other areas of society appears to be fierce.

All opposition parties to Pheu Thai should rejoice with the progress of foot in mouth, of this party. Give them another week or so of bumbling, backtracking, outright lies and the other 34 parties should have a field day. The general population has enough street smart (formal education aside) to know how to work the Thai system. They have managed to sustain themselves with virtually little help from the politicians, for decades. The mass communication system which made Thaksin/family wealthy may come back to bite them in the arse in the political arena.

Aha, she is going for the innocent naive girl that doesn't know why everyone is so mean to her role. Do they have a Thai soap opera writer in her PR staff or what?

If she is actually that naive, dumb clueless, unaware or manipulated, she has no ability to do the job.

Just to help Yingluck out of her unawareness, here are a few reasons (plural, not singular!) why she is being attacked politically:

1) Her last name is Shinawatra;

2) She is her older brother's clone;

3) She was hand-picked by her older brother to become prime ministerial candidate, and the party only voted unanimously for her nomination because it is tightly controlled by Thaksin;

4) While an amnesty may not be her priority (at this moment), it is still planned, and the main reason why it is to be implemented is - admit it or not, Yingluck - to whitewash her brother;

5) The only jobs she has ever held were in her family's business in postings that were especially created for her or , according to an International Herald Tribune article, "created on her initiative". She's got absolutely no idea how tough a senior management position can be in the free market, where you can be sacked any day if you make one single wrong decision;

6) So far she has been unable to articulate concisely what her party's platform policies are and how they are going to be implemented. Instead, she constantly seems to be surrounded by "minders" who direct her in what she can say and what she cannot. She's basically a puppet;

8) Having a nice face and smile is simply not enough for leading a country. One also must have experience, experience, experience and experience, must be honest, honest and honest and have no vested interests, repeat, no vested interests;

9) Many people are concerned that she is merely a "placeholder" who will hand over power to her whitewashed big brother upon his triumphant return.

Enough reasons? I won't even delve into her alleged involvement helping her big brother to conceal his wealth.

Even the "opposite side" (which is the yellows not the Dems) is saying NO to an amnesty even though they are facing serious charges. That is making it clear that the amnesty idea is totally on one side of the political spectrum (or color spectrum if you prefer!) ...

Since it is the primary plank in the Red/PTP platform in the NE and North ... that leaves Yingluck in the unfortunate position of having to push for the amnesty in her public appearances in the NE and North and deny it elsewhere ... a real 'double edged sword" for her campaign.

While it is true if the Pheu Thai win the election there will be many changes not all nessasery for the good of Thailand. The one thing that will not change is the amnesty for Thaksin. That is the number one priority for the Pheu Thai. Do people really think Thaksin would go to all the truble and expense he has gone to if he could not come back to Thailand free of all criminal charges.

Yingluck is the visible head of a party that is controlled by her brother. She was his choice for the PM job not the parties. To say that bringing back there real leader is not a priority is not exactly a well thought out statement.

From a poster that does not even know the difference between simple basic spelling I would offer advice to go to school before offering political views.:whistling:

From a poster that does not even know the difference between simple basic spelling I would offer advice to go to school before offering political views.:whistling:

I hope you don't spend all your time correcting minor errors in peoples posts. It would be a full time job on TV.

Frankly I wonder if this amnesty business is a red herring. If I was Thaksin I would be more interested in recovering my money than any amnesty. But then I don't think like a Thai. :lol:

Frankly I wonder if this amnesty business is a red herring. If I was Thaksin I would be more interested in recovering my money than any amnesty. But then I don't think like a Thai. :lol:

It's a matter of first things first.

First amnesty, then he can return, and then he can retrieve his ill-gotten gains.

Given that there would a few people out there that might vote for PTP if they weren't talking about giving Thaksin an amnesty, I doubt it would be a red herring.

First amnesty, then he can return, and then he can retrieve his ill-gotten gains.

you forgot the 4th step in the plan; start stealing again!

you forgot the 4th step in the plan; start stealing again!

That step was a given certainty. If he gets amnesty, he won't have benefited from learning from his incarceration to rehabilitate and mend his ways.

Ahh!, there you make the fatal mistake about Thaksin. It's not about money, he already has more than he could ever use and he is still making millions month after month.

It's not about money, it's about power. He want's to rule, absolute rule if past and present behavior give any hints.

Ahh!, there you make the fatal mistake about Thaksin. It's not about money, he already has more than he could ever use and he is still making millions month after month.

It's not about money, it's about power. He want's to rule, absolute rule if past and present behavior give any hints.

with respect, I think your age is showing, Thailand is a small country from a global perspective, Power in Thailand has limited value. Money on the other hand is power, power anywhere in the world. Does Bill Gates need a squadron of bodyguards everywhere he goes, yet he has more global power than many a King or ruler. Money is power.

gotta love how arduously the forum red shirt leaning members tend to stay away from threads like this :)

Well having seen how 'arduously' they get attacked at the personal level by the Abhisit lovers, I'm not really surprised. One cannot even make a neutral comment, "you're either with us or against us" seems to be the attitude. :whistling:

with respect, I think your age is showing, Thailand is a small country from a global perspective, Power in Thailand has limited value. Money on the other hand is power, power anywhere in the world. Does Bill Gates need a squadron of bodyguards everywhere he goes, yet he has more global power than many a King or ruler. Money is power.

In my opinion your post doesn't show much understanding of Thai culture, "face" or Thaksin. In Thailand power equals money but not always the other way around. Thaksin has certainly spent more than he lost in his court battles, but the thing he lost that hurt the most was 'face' ... his image/prestige. He's now a convicted felon on the run from the law and not allowed in many countries. He lost his Thai passport. He was "forced" to destroy his own future credibility by voluntarily taking up passports from other (absolutely fabulous) countries, Montenegro being one.

Hey, he can still get into Dubai and HK (and presumably Nicaragua and Uganda!) but no visa for England or Germany .... he aint hitting the US any time soon either .... Sorry, money just doesn't cut it when what you crave is power. That Thaksin craves power seems obvious to many people .. that he'd spend billions to get it back is apparent ... that he could steal billions more from Thailand if he did get power back is almost beyond question.

You make the comparison to Bill Gates ... Gates made his money ... when issues started piling up with anti-trust suits against MS Gates left. He had all the money he would ever need ... so he walked away Thaksin had all the money he'd ever need and is still fighting for power ... that tells the story on its own.

I also don't think anything in AleG's post reflects his age.

You have posted this on two threads. I think that the quotations are quite apposite and am pleased that you appear to believe as I do, that irrespective of the result Thailand will still be ruled by a self-seeking and self perpetuating plutocracy, from whichever camp. But I cannot be sure that is what you meant.

1) The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections.

There are many components absent from the Thai version of democracy. Not the least of these is the respect for individual rights. Think on how this relates to Thailands situation.

2) We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

• Louis Brandeis, U.S. Supreme Court Justice ~ quoted by Raymond Lonergan in, Mr. Justice Brandeis, Great American (1941), p. 42

Who provides wealth for Thailand if the rich elite do not? Could the rice farmers and those who sleep in their wooden houses with their Hang Song by their side do it - Or is this election all about whether Thais want the present dictatorship or Thgaksins dictatorship to return? If it is then i believe there is nothing for westerners to debate on this forum.

3) Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Widely attributed to Benjamin Franklin

Further evidence that there is a line of thought which says that there is more to democracy than mere numbers.