What Are They Building Next To Bali Hi?

thaibeachlovers

There was a nice little park around the clock tower that has now been fenced off and piles are being dug for what will be a big building.

Anyone know what it's going to be, and how can they develop what was a public space, enjoyed by many, in an area with no equivalent park.

Multi storey car park is what I heard too. If so it's a real shame because the small park provided a great location for stalls and people walking around every time a function was held down at Bali Hai. Surely a better location for a car park would have been over the boat yard. Whatever it is, it's too late to change it now.

bit of a shame... used to like to chill out there some afternoons with the Mrs, newspaper and couple beers from the 7/11..... was actually a good place for concerts as well ?? sure its a carpark... seems to be mega stupid idea even for the numpties in city council :huh:... the only time you need a carpark there is when you have an big event or concert so it would kinda defeat the purpose ???

Edited by dec

That's the location of the new car park?! City planning never has been a strong point with city hall, but dam_n.

TheWalkingMan

I would hazard a guess that is the last piece of open land that anyone could call a park in Patttaya. Now its going to be a car park.....Joni Mitchell was right "pay pardiase put up a parking lot."

I think the concept of a large open "unspoilt" piece of mown grass with shady trees where small children can safely play, dogs/people can excercise, relax on a bench and read a book/newspaper, get some fresh air away from smelly cars is totally lost on most city planners these days....Go Green/ save the planet, my a*rse.....cover it in high rise concrete and tarmac more like..........and then wonder why it floods when it rains...!!!

I actually thought that a "Park" might be a good business venture. I would gladly pay 50 baht to walk into a what I have described above. As long as there were no noodles stalls, vendors, hawkers, blaring tannoy systems, hookers etc...you have to pay to see waterfalls in Thailand...so what would be the big deal to get some fresh air and peace and quiet.

I'm off to buy a few Rai of land......ooops I forgot I have to a have a company 51% owned by people who love noodles stalls, vendors, blaring tannoy systems and some are ...well...I leave that up to you dear reader...

Thanks for the replies.

Sad indeed if it is a car park. if they got the boats out of the proper car park, wouldn't need to do that.

Still what do you expect from the current administration? They won't even clean up/ repair the walkway which is in a disgusting condition.

Big resorts like Holiday Inn must be PO that Pattaya is going down the gurgler and their investment at risk once the word gets around that Pattaya is not worth visiting.

Shame they dont just ban all private vehicles between 3rd road and the sea. Or introduce a 5000B congestion charge that could pay for an army of people to collect rubbish along the beach.

Plenty of unused space for car parks on the far side of 3rd road, and no shortage of cheap public transport at all hours.

Not so long ago they were talking about removing all the boats from that area and building a fancy-sounding hi-tech multi-storey boat parking complex (although at that time people were saying it would be located further south) and then converting the area in front into a marina. Sounded a bit implausible at the time but.... who knows.

Judging by the attached image I guess it's been done elsewhere.

I also heard that construction of The Waterfront may recommence soon - the rumour is that former Raimon boss Cornick is involved. One of the biggest problems with The Waterfront site (apart from the ridiculously small land plot) was that mess with all the boats in front.

It wouldn't be a total surprise if these 2 events are related.

post-14840-0-44110300-1307614183_thumb.j