Lunar Eclipse

cloudhopper

I presume you mean Thursday morning 3:00AM

That's what he said. :blink:

Here is the original article it is not on Thursday it is on Wednesday June 15.

But thanks for your insight.

A total lunar eclipse will take place on June 15, 2011. It is the first of two total lunar eclipses in 2011, the second occurring on December 10.

International Date Line comes into play? I read in another news report the date was the 16th but all the charts clearly say the 15th.

Edited by Mrjlh

International Date Line comes into play? I read in another news report the date was the 16th but all the charts clearly say the 15th.

Hi the eclipse will peak at around 2015 UTC on the 15th. UTC stands for Universal Time, Coordinated and used to be known as Greenwich Mean Time after an observatory in England through which the zero degree longitude line was arbitrarily drawn at the dawn of celestial navigation several hundred years ago. Thailand is 7 hours ahead of UTC so it will be a quarter past 3 am here then and since it will be after midnight, it will also be the 16th here in LOS.

Hi the eclipse will peak at around 2015 UTC on the 15th. UTC stands for Universal Time, Coordinated and used to be known as Greenwich Mean Time after an observatory in England through which the zero degree longitude line was arbitrarily drawn at the dawn of celestial navigation several hundred years ago. Thailand is 7 hours ahead of UTC so it will be a quarter past 3 am here then and since it will be after midnight, it will also be the 16th here in LOS.

Now it makes sense.

What would be a good reasonably priced resort/hotel on Doi Suthep to stay at to be able to see this? The farther away from the city lights the better the view and the more vivid the eclipse. Any recommendations for a place to stay on the mountain please.

Is this one going to be total for us or partial?

THX

Not sure about hotels. but it may be worth camping out up on Doi Pui. Can't get any further from the lights or higher up in this area.... Either a tent at the campground or a cabin at the coffee farm.

What would be a good reasonably priced resort/hotel on Doi Suthep to stay at to be able to see this? The farther away from the city lights the better the view and the more vivid the eclipse. Any recommendations for a place to stay on the mountain please.

Is this one going to be total for us or partial?

THX

<br />OP says to the west, I think it must be to the east, for the earth to get in the way between the setting sun and the moon.  So yes mountain seems the best idea.<br /><br />Has anyone worked out when it starts here and when it will be total, for example from <a href='http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigures/OH2011-Fig03.pdf' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://eclipse.gsfc....H2011-Fig03.pdf</a> ?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

John the sun never sets in outer space. The earth will get maximally in the way of the moon's sunlight at around 03:15 Thailand time. That will be around noon in California so it will not be visible from there. It will be maximally visible from where the moon appears directly overhead at 0315 Thai time, which would be somewhere around Pakistan at around their local midnight. Viewers to the East of them, like we are, will look to the West while viewers to the West of Pakistan will look Eastward.

The few total lunar eclipses I have seen were quite spectacular, turning it and the sky blood red for quite some time around totality so even if there is thin cloud cover it could be quite dramatic. Cloud cover might be heavier over the mountains.

First! I saw it, or I should say I'm seeing it as I type. Very cool. As the shadow moves and the bright, bright light of the moon starts to slowly return, it's like the moon is revealing itself to us again!

Amazing stuff.

Any pictures? I was sound asleep. :(