Need New Laptop

girlx

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 9400 for work. Got it today, plugged it in to start charging. No charge light came on. Tried turning the computer on, nothing. So after spending about 45 minutes on the phone with a tech I could barely understand, they determined with all of there vast knowledge that it should be sent back.

I have a Dell at home and am generally a Dell fan, but I was not happy about this considering it seemed to take forever to get, and I really needed it.

Can't go past IBM. These are virtually bullet proof and come with a three year international warranty. The company has the resources and the reputation to back up the warranty anywhere. Run out models at reduced prices available most months. Prices range from entry level 35,000Bt to top of the line 100,000Bt+. They're not any more expensive than other top shelf brands.

Some models are available from the larger stores at Pantip or you can contact an IBM reseller (SEANET is one company I've bought from).

IBM rank with Sony Vaio and HP/Compaq but their focus is more business and reliability oriented while the Sonys and HPs tend to focus on having all the latest bells and whistles. For something that's meant to be portable and take some occassional rough treatment I prefer the reliability to the gadgets.

Useful built in features include backup/restore software, security software, ability to restore back to factory software preload without any CDs, unique hard disk shock protection.

Also, they come in any colour you want, as long as you want black.

Wouldn't giving your keyboard a good cleaning/vacuuming be cheaper?

Be very careful vacuuming.

One of my key caps got sucked in.

I found the cap, but not the little springy bit that goes underneath!!

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 9400 for work. Got it today, plugged it in to start charging. No charge light came on. Tried turning the computer on, nothing. So after spending about 45 minutes on the phone with a tech I could barely understand, they determined with all of there vast knowledge that it should be sent back.

I have a Dell at home and am generally a Dell fan, but I was not happy about this considering it seemed to take forever to get, and I really needed it.

Same thing happened to me when I ordered a brand new Latitude a while back. Latitudes are supposed to be better quality than Inspirions (business line and all that), but that one was just DOA. Had to be sent back / mainboard replacement etc.

Since I had to start to work urgently, I just ordered the only laptop with my specs that I could get at the time, an Acer TravelMate 803. This machine was pure bliss. I think this was the only laptop I have ever owned that did not have a single problem - zero. Sadly, I had to return it to the company when I quit my job and the next Acer, a budget 4600, was a complete lemon. Overheated, 2 HDs fried, Mainboard fried, then I got rid of it as I didn't want to know what else could go wrong with it.

Now I have an Acer TravelMate 8204, top of the line. It's not as flawless as was the 803, I am afraid Acer doesn't make that kind of quality anymore. But it's been largely trouble free, I had the fan replaced for making weird noises, and the battery was also replaced. It has a 3 year warranty and the Chiang Mai Service center is truly the best I have seen anywhere in the world. Not sure if that's because of Acer policy or because of the people working there, but they are the best. Ok, Apple USA is equally good. It boils down to: You have a problem, they fix it. Fast, friendly, and competent.

After surveying several sites and current offers, I would recommend IBM/lenovo ThinkPads to the OP. The laptops are lower spec than others but they survive anything.