Horrendous Treatment Of Pigs

PlanetX

I grew up on a farm and I must say pigs are about the only animal I could not feel sorry for. They are pretty mean and bring back memories of steel toe capped boots. They are probably the only farm animal that would eat you alive if you fell unconscious in their enclosure.

Having said that, the humane treatment of animals is important but if you eat meat you have to realise somewhere along the line that there is somewhat of an irony in wanting them treated with kid gloves and then eating them.

Ah, surely you can't be talking about this cute, cuddly little critter...

Wild_boar.jpg

I just watched a doc on those hunting holidays you can do in S.Africa. You can shoot whatever animal you want for the right price. The guys do it because it gives them a sense of achievement or power they said. I personally think it does quite the opposite, its like someone who sleeps with hundreds of hookers calling themselves a playboy.

also because pigs/boars are not native to most of Africa and are an invasive species that pushes out other species. The boar is mostly just native to europe.

Boar Wiki

In hawaii the govt use to pay hunters per pig killed. You could look it up but the wild pig/boar is responsible for a long list of species extinction and chronic environmental damage.

I just watched a doc on those hunting holidays you can do in S.Africa. You can shoot whatever animal you want for the right price. The guys do it because it gives them a sense of achievement or power they said. I personally think it does quite the opposite, its like someone who sleeps with hundreds of hookers calling themselves a playboy.

I would agree with you on some of the guided hunts. But, it is a form of culling that keeps the game herds in check so they don't upset the natural balance between game supply and what the environment can support. The culling done by big game hunters is a method of bringing in money to pay for the over all protection of the game and the environment. Every area can only support so many animals and it has to be kept in balance.

On your other comment about hookers and playboys it is YOUR personal bias that is showing. Men who sleep with hundreds of hookers do so because they have both the virility and money to do so, and the desire for variety. It is a win-win situation between the parties involved. The term "playboy" is an assumption based on questionable propaganda. Women chase after men with good looks, power and money. Men who can do so take advantage of the opportunities presented to them. Then, there are all the self righteous, hypocritical men who wish they had the same opportunities, and become bitter because they can't do so because of their personal failings. REAL men don't care what other men do. They just take care of their own needs and the needs of their immediate family.

You know I actually wrote a reply to you but then realised life is too short for both of us so I deleted it. Good luck with the women :-)

Edited by james24

You know I actually wrote a reply to you but then realised life is too short for both of us so I deleted it. Good luck with the women :-)

Agreed, life IS too short. I know my days in Thailand are numbered judging by the past 15 years visiting Thailand that went FAR too quickly. I don't need "luck" with the women. They come and go as they wish and we keep each other happy when we are together. There is no need to chase them, and no need to chase them away. They are just like my male friends when I'm in Thailand. We are happy when we are together and enjoy life when we are apart. There are no restrictions or restraints on anyone. I hope you didn't take what I wrote personally. I just make generalized statements from what life has taught me, and what I've observed over many years..

Agreed, life IS too short. I know my days in Thailand are numbered judging by the past 15 years visiting Thailand that went FAR too quickly. I don't need "luck" with the women. They come and go as they wish and we keep each other happy when we are together. There is no need to chase them, and no need to chase them away. They are just like my male friends when I'm in Thailand. We are happy when we are together and enjoy life when we are apart. There are no restrictions or restraints on anyone. I hope you didn't take what I wrote personally. I just make generalized statements from what life has taught me, and what I've observed over many years..

Now this is just getting silly. Soon you'll be pulling out your hart cark and giving it a strum

great TV -- a thread about pigs turns into working girls

This world does need to burn

True, but some would have us believe that pigs and working girls have something in common. And others would believe the working girls are more like sharks :lol:

As for myself, I always had a soft spot for little piggies and pussy.

Tiger_farm_1.sized.jpg

It beats bugs any day.

Bugs_for_sale.jpg

In Australia, we have much the same problem as Hawaii. Introduced species gone feral, causing huge environmental damage. 3 in particular are : pigs, camels and buffaloes. Due to their widespread habitats ,they are going to be very difficult to eliminate. Eventually ,someone will grab the "bull by the the horns" and make the political decision that eliminated , they must be.

<deleted> is this??

Is the guy only 1 meter tall or is this photoshop??laugh.gif

Looks like straight out of freaking jurassic park!!laugh.gif

500 kilo??crazy....

I think the guy is sitting down several feet behind the boar. If you take a photo with telephoto it foreshortens everything and puts it out of perspective. It's sort of like holding a fish out at arm's length before taking a picture. It makes the subject look far larger than it is. However, that IS a very large wild boar. Pigs can grow to over 1000 pounds (450 kilos). That big boar is probably 300 kilos or more. You can often judge a lot by looking at the eye of a subject. Eyes stay close to the same size from birth to death, but the body grows larger. The eye on that boar is very small in proportion to the body. That alone tells me it is huge.

The photo of this hog does not look quite real to me. The mouth open displaying the tusks appears staged, thus the whole thing comes under suspicion. I have hunted trapped feral/wild hogs, some from domestic pigs at one time. The monsters are reported to be out there but if we found anything approaching 400 pounds we thought they had access to human provided feed. Sorry nature is bountiful but but this just brings doubts to my mind.

The photo of this hog does not look quite real to me. The mouth open displaying the tusks appears staged, thus the whole thing comes under suspicion. I have hunted trapped feral/wild hogs, some from domestic pigs at one time. The monsters are reported to be out there but if we found anything approaching 400 pounds we thought they had access to human provided feed. Sorry nature is bountiful but but this just brings doubts to my mind.

I can't verify the picture, so all I can do is speculate. But, I have had some experience with the critters.

The original wild boars like the one above came from northern Europe and they were imported into North America and New Zealand. Some escaped and went feral. They are still considered a hunting trophy in Germany. I"ve hunted them in New Zealand, but we never shot anything but the piglets. The meat of the adults was too smelly and strong. But, we had to be very careful with the adults, and a boar would kill you if you got in its way. At one time it was considered a "man's sport" to kill a big boar with a spear. Not for me, thank you.

I've seen actual photos of some very large ones in the 400 to 600 pound range that were taken in south eastern USA. I think they even named some football teams after the feral pigs (Arizona Razorbacks). I"ve heard stories that some wild, European boars cross bred with large domestic pigs to form a monster species. My neighbour, when I in a farming community in Canada, had a huge boar that weighed 900 pounds, but it looked like any other domestic pig. It was a nasty beast and my neighbour eventually shot it because it was too dangerous to keep. It could rip planks off its pen with its huge tusks. About 20 years ago there was a farmer up the valley from me that was killed and eaten by his pigs. All they found was his boots and part of his feet.

Ian, here's an oldie of Blinky Bill in his younger days in outback Queensland, Australia. At times the feral pigs are almost in plague proportions, they'd wreck the bore drains and fences as well as kill sheep, we'd kill them just to get rid of them not to eat them. Sometimes bag 20 a day and when we got bored shooting them we'd chase them down on foot with the dogs then tap them on the head with an axe. It was rare to get a pig in excess of 100 kgs but they were out there. I used to work with pigs (in more ways than one) also. The most dangerous are the sows with piglets, both wild and domesticated.

BlinkyBillandthePiggies.jpg

Edited by Blinky Bill